Consultation on the management of the Bruce Ridge cycling trails

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
The Department of Territory and Municipal Services (TAMS) is seeking community input to help formalise cycling trails in Bruce Ridge Nature Reserve. This will help determine which existing tracks should be maintained and how they should be managed for recreational use, while minimising impacts on walkers and the environment.

Over time Bruce Ridge Nature Reserve has become a significant venue for mountain bike riding, with over 17km of trails. Walking is also a popular activity, and this initiative will ensure that the interests and safety concerns of walkers and cyclists are considered.

Formalising these trails will have significant safety, environmental and social benefits.

Well-constructed tracks that are safe and do not impact on the environment will be considered for formalisation. Unsustainable and/or hazardous trails will be closed and rehabilitated.

To participate in the consultation process contact Stephen Alegria on 6207 2547 or by email: stephen.alegria@act.gov.au.

Consultation ends: Friday 28 January 2011.

bikeit

Squid
Great to hear, something that has been coming a long time. The best trails in Canberra IMHO and they hold up the best to erosion, rain etc. I hope too many aren't closed as one of the great things is that every time you ride in there you can easily ride a different route and there are sooo many options to take. Hopefully tracks aren't closed for the sake of closing tracks. The only area i think needs closing in the 'downhill' singe track and i love that section! There is a wet section towards the underpass near CIT/AIS track but that can be managed easily with some maintenance and drainage.

Edited because what i wrote didn't make sense!

Last edited:

Kramer

FoBR
I like the DH track, which is one of the reasons why I am keen to be involved. I reckon with some improved drainage and a little armouring it can be saved. If it is closed down, I will bet that another will be built elsewhere (illegally).

jean5614

Likes Dirt
There is some great trackwork up there, and you can ride it inso many different ways. I hope it does not become over managed like Stromlo, where you can only ride in one direction and some trail guru gets to design something. Most of these tracks are really well made with minimal erosion, regardless of the weather. Hold up better than anywhere else and with (sun-smart) shade.:cool:

Last edited:

niftydog

Likes Dirt
You guys are kinda quiet about this - anyone want to share? I'm keen to be a part of the consultation, but I'd like to have an idea of what you guys think rather than just be pushing my own selfish ideas!

One thing I've noticed, since Stromlo is closed there's a lot more traffic out there which gives you a taste of how it might be. Rode Sunday morning clockwise around what I would consider to be the main loop - seems like everybody else thought anti-clockwise was the way to go.

Before yesterday I would have been reluctant to make the main loop one way, but after a couple of close calls these last few weeks I'm now thinking it HAS to be done. Only question is - which way!? I'm leaning towards anti-clockwise myself because that run down the ridge and into the big switch backs is great fun. However, the clockwise run along GDE also has it's merits...

There's numerous goat tracks that I'd be happy to see closed; confusing little no-flow, overgrown links between major tracks that hardly ever get ridden. I think it may be a point of contention about how many, and which tracks to close.

tegski

Likes Dirt
Canberra Stadium Carpark - then go through one of the tunnels under the GDE across bike path toward bushland and look for a gate into the bush. Over/through gate and look for the single track going left or right.
Or at the moment wait for 30 secs and follow the riders!!!! A bit crowded currently - haven't seen so many riders since the World Cup!

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Yup, car park at the southern end of Masterman St. There's a few gates along the GDE side - any one of them will be about 50m or less from the nearest singletrack.

Parts of the trails closest to the GDE are a muddy mess, best to avoid, detour by going up hill on the nearest fire trail to the next singletrack. Expect to get lost - there's a lot of track out there; Stick to the well defined trails and you'll be fine.

Storm999

Likes Bikes
Its probably so crowded 'cause Stromlo, Sparrow and Majura were washed away. How did Bruce and Jerra hold up to the floods?

JD26

Likes Dirt
Its probably so crowded 'cause Stromlo, Sparrow and Majura were washed away. How did Bruce and Jerra hold up to the floods?
Bruce has held up extremely well. There is one part as mentioned previously (closest part to GDE) that is not worth riding (about 50 metres worth), but apart from that it was bone-dry on Saturday. But then it rained again Saturday afternoon!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Track conditions

We're heading down to Canberra tomorrow for Chrissy, I realise that Stromlo, Majura and Sparrow Hill are all looking pretty grim, I don't mind having a bit of an explore, but if this Bruce Ridge track is grim as well, is it worth bringing a bike down when realisticly I'm only going to be able to ride 1 day?

SSDave

Likes Dirt
We're heading down to Canberra tomorrow for Chrissy, I realise that Stromlo, Majura and Sparrow Hill are all looking pretty grim, I don't mind having a bit of an explore, but if this Bruce Ridge track is grim as well, is it worth bringing a bike down when realisticly I'm only going to be able to ride 1 day?
Bruce Ridge was fine yesterday, except the grass is over my head when on the bike, kind of adds an extra twist!

Knopey

Likes Dirt
It's a shame, but if you're planning on riding more than one day you'll be disappointed. Now isn't the time to come down for an epic multi-day multi-venue ride-a-thon. From what I've seen and heard, there's 1/2 to 1 day's worth of riding max, before you start just... going in circles. (And that is Bruce Ridge like you say.)

Bring the roadie instead for a lake cruise - the tarmac's pristine! :)

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Bring the roadie instead for a lake cruise - the tarmac's pristine! :)
What's this roadie you speak of? I have got a fixed gear bicycle that may be fit for purpose.

I'll probably probably bring down the MTB as well, will need to work off Xmas lunch ( and breakfast, and most likely dinner as well). A half day on the bike is better than a full day on the couch.

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately I think one-way is inevitable.

It has been decreed that no new trails will be built.
One way is not inevitable, very few things are. It now seems that these superb trails which ride well both ways come under the scruitiny of planners and would be trail gurus. The beauty of Bruce ridge is that it is diverse and can be ridden both ways. as for all the small tracks that would be closed, why? They are all still riding well. Clockwise or anti-clockwise. Sounds like the two party system. There has been some rain and so the traffic has increased for a while. Bit of a panic to start introducing one way systems. Majura and Sparrow are not one way systems and they have operated well for years, in fact are iconic mountainbiking areas. A few near misses? Get over it.:cool:

Last edited: