Converting a 2x10 setup to 1x

gippyz

Likes Dirt
So on the topic on 1x10, I recently bought the adventX groups from folks at Mtb direct.

First of all, the cassette is super light. Noticeably lighter than big 11 speed or 12 speed cassettes. The derailleur is so chunky that it looks like one of those 12 speed stuff today. Shifter is ok. Paddle is a bit short, but I’ll live with it.

Had a first ride on them today and I was pleasantly surprised how good it is. I’m instantly converted. It’s my first time riding such a massive cassette 48T, and I realised there and then how much I’ve missed out going 40T in the past. I’m climbing steep tracks effortlessly. Tech climb, no problem anymore. Shifting is not as light as say xtr, but it has a really positive feedback when u shift. I like that. You can’t go up multiple gears in 1 sweep, but that’s no biggie for me. Shifter paddle looks short, but I managed to angle and place it at a good spot such that i can reach the paddle easy enough without it getting in the way of my thumb when it’s not on the paddle. The clutch is a proper clutch keeping your chain tensioned. I’m running it with non narrow wide chainring (waiting for replacement narrow wide to arrive) and I didn’t get a single chain drop. Madness. No I don’t have chain guide

I’ll post some pictures once I’ve taken them - forgot to take some on today’s ride.

The only weird thing is that the website said the RD’s attachment is direct mount. I presume this means it’ll work on dm hanger, and I’ve used a dm hanger on it. For it to work though, I needed a longer b screw, which I happen to have. Strange...

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I just chucked the FD and chainrings bought a NW ring and a 11-40 10 speed cassette, tweaked the B screw on the RD and away I went.
IMO dont need anything if you go 11-40 but above need a goatlink. 10 speed is fine even 9 speed is bearable.
IMO 11-50 is mental and expensive or heavy. Its just SRAM trying to dominate.YOU MUST RESIST.
Should have mentioned that I have double NW rings at the front.
Change by hand, big for descents .

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So on the topic on 1x10, I recently bought the adventX groups from folks at Mtb direct.

First of all, the cassette is super light. Noticeably lighter than big 11 speed or 12 speed cassettes. The derailleur is so chunky that it looks like one of those 12 speed stuff today. Shifter is ok. Paddle is a bit short, but I’ll live with it.

Had a first ride on them today and I was pleasantly surprised how good it is. I’m instantly converted. It’s my first time riding such a massive cassette 48T, and I realised there and then how much I’ve missed out going 40T in the past. I’m climbing steep tracks effortlessly. Tech climb, no problem anymore. Shifting is not as light as say xtr, but it has a really positive feedback when u shift. I like that. You can’t go up multiple gears in 1 sweep, but that’s no biggie for me. Shifter paddle looks short, but I managed to angle and place it at a good spot such that i can reach the paddle easy enough without it getting in the way of my thumb when it’s not on the paddle. The clutch is a proper clutch keeping your chain tensioned. I’m running it with non narrow wide chainring (waiting for replacement narrow wide to arrive) and I didn’t get a single chain drop. Madness. No I don’t have chain guide

I’ll post some pictures once I’ve taken them - forgot to take some on today’s ride.

The only weird thing is that the website said the RD’s attachment is direct mount. I presume this means it’ll work on dm hanger, and I’ve used a dm hanger on it. For it to work though, I needed a longer b screw, which I happen to have. Strange...
Thanks for posting. It looks good and I was waiting to hear of some real like experience with it.
Where did you buy it from ?

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Should have mentioned that I have double NW rings at the front.
Change by hand, big for descents .
I've been doing this as well for my other bikes. 30T NW front, 22T non-NW rear. Works well if u r either only riding up or down. Nightmare if u r doing stuff that continuously goes up and down (mix in flat stuff as well). This unfortunately doesn't work on the new bike. Can't fit in an extra chainring on the inside. Thus me going microshift with mammoth 48T cassette and 28T NW (when the latter arrives).

Thanks for posting. It looks good and I was waiting to hear of some real like experience with it.
Where did you buy it from ?
Mtb direct. I think the cassette + shifter + rd amounts to about $245 (give or take). Ordered on Tuesday in on Friday using standard delivery.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
How's the cable line from the cable stop to where it bolts on to the derailleur?

Hopefully they solved this issue...

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I've been doing this as well for my other bikes. 30T NW front, 22T non-NW rear. Works well if u r either only riding up or down. Nightmare if u r doing stuff that continuously goes up and down (mix in flat stuff as well). This unfortunately doesn't work on the new bike. Can't fit in an extra chainring on the inside. Thus me going microshift with mammoth 48T cassette and 28T NW (when the latter arrives).
I use 32T and 26T rings at the front the inner one doesnt have to be NW .
32 x 40 isnt a bad gear

Last edited: