Convict (Dirt Works) 100 2012

Simon B

Likes Bikes
My first race. Well oganised event and the volunteers from
The rfs. About 5 and 1/2 hours in my first race. Glad i went
In the first group even though i got dropped buy the time i
Got to the kyak bridge there was no queue. The water looked
Deep watching someone wade through it have come up with
Something better for the people who don't / can't ride.
Perfect day for racing yesterday.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
My first race. Well oganised event and the volunteers from
The rfs. About 5 and 1/2 hours in my first race. Glad i went
In the first group even though i got dropped buy the time i
Got to the kyak bridge there was no queue. The water looked
Deep watching someone wade through it have come up with
Something better for the people who don't / can't ride.
Perfect day for racing yesterday.
The groupings at the start were pretty poorly organised compared to the capital - it seemed to be first in best dressed - i turned up at 10to7, and and only ended up as the last in the 7.25 wave - at least it was firetrail and plenty of passing opportunities, but losing 15minutes at the bridge was a bit boring (didnt want to watch em falling in).

Generally i think the promotion of the track reads as pretty unassuming - in truth its a very technical and dangerous track in parts, i must have seen at least 20 crashes - fortunately all slow speed, but plenty of bruises.

Re 50km crash - no answer on mobile ph for friend, so looks like him, "heath" isnt exactly the most common name around..... ;(

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
The groupings at the start were pretty poorly organised compared to the capital....
Agreed - this could have been a heap better, maybe the chute was a little thin, maybe the queue for the toilets was longer than the queue for the start?
For me it worked out OK - a fast bunch of angry riders broke from the last wave, we averaged >30kph to the bottom of the first climb.

Yep - should have waded the river - would have saved ~10min and I would have broken 5h30m.

Generally i think the promotion of the track reads as pretty unassuming - in truth its a very technical and dangerous track in parts...
err... yeh - a friend warned me so I did a little explore of 10 Mile Hollow to Shepherd's Gully, although that didn't save me from a reasonably fast face plant on the sandstone steps. Lucky I moved to the side to recover/reassess... less than a minute later another guy did exactly the same face plant landing neatly within the same chalks...

I'm kinda new at this game; done a couple of flings, a muddy husky and capital punishment so far - although I know I'm getting faster this one was the hardest and most technical.

- carpetrunner

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Agreed - this could have been a heap better, maybe the chute was a little thin, maybe the queue for the toilets was longer than the queue for the start?
For me it worked out OK - a fast bunch of angry riders broke from the last wave, we averaged >30kph to the bottom of the first climb.

Yep - should have waded the river - would have saved ~10min and I would have broken 5h30m.

err... yeh - a friend warned me so I did a little explore of 10 Mile Hollow to Shepherd's Gully, although that didn't save me from a reasonably fast face plant on the sandstone steps. Lucky I moved to the side to recover/reassess... less than a minute later another guy did exactly the same face plant landing neatly within the same chalks...

I'm kinda new at this game; done a couple of flings, a muddy husky and capital punishment so far - although I know I'm getting faster this one was the hardest and most technical.

- carpetrunner
I agree re: wave starts.

Group one was supposed to be people finishing in the 4:30 - 6 hours time bracket, that is 260ppl according to the results, about half the field! Plus it's that group who are racing for category podiums etc and so jostling and passing is going to most in this group. Time to rethink the wave start time brackets I think and at least get people to pre-nominate a wave start based on a previous 100k result and maybe do the colour coded number plates like CapPun did (green for wave start one, red for two etc) then at least people in the start barriers know if they are in the right group or standing/starting around similarly paced people in the start field.

p.s does anyone else find the results a little odd, quite a few people seem to have had time taken off their race time but in varying amounts... 10 minutes here, 9 minutes there, did they take time off the bridge delays?

Last edited:

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
I agree re: wave starts.

Group one was supposed to be people finishing in the 4:30 - 6 hours time bracket, that is 260ppl according to the results, about half the field! Plus it's that group who are racing for category podiums etc and so jostling and passing is going to most in this group. Time to rethink the wave start time brackets I think and at least get people to pre-nominate a wave start based on a previous 100k result and maybe do the colour coded number plates like CapPun did (green for wave start one, red for two etc) then at least people in the start barriers know if they are in the right group or standing/starting around similarly paced people in the start field.

p.s does anyone else find the results a little odd, quite a few people seem to have had time taken off their race time but in varying amounts... 10 minutes here, 9 minutes there, did they take time off the bridge delays?
seeding based on results in other events sounds like a horrible and arduous task for the promoters, but i get what you're saying. it would be nice having a smaller start wave and not having to stress about getting a good position in the chute. there are lots and lots of returning riders and using the previous year's position as a reference would be simple enough. what do you do to seed the rest of the field though?

i think the "odd" results are just the gun time minus the time it took you to get across the line. in my case i have "start" split of 9s meaning it took me 9s to get across the line. for riders in the 2nd and 3rd waves it would have been more like 10mins or 20mins...

Last edited:

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
My take on the wave starts is that you get used to the silliness with practice. Any self seeded arrangement seems to attract plenty whos perceived ability is much greater than reality but I don't know what a better alternative is. As per above it would be a major exercise to try and formally seed the event.

The strangest part to me is the sprint race for the first 5-10k's and then everyone starts dropping like flies never to be seen again.

Been the same in every event I've done so far and CP was no different.

FWIW I lined up midway down the chute next to a guy who was the 2nd non elite finisher. So I'm not so convinced starting position has that much of a bearing on the result. Unless it necks down into single track straight away, then it's a different scenario.

Last edited:

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
seeding based on results in other events sounds like a horrible and arduous task for the promoters, but i get what you're saying. it would be nice having a smaller start wave and not having to stress about getting a good position in the chute. there are lots and lots of returning riders and using the previous year's position as a reference would be simple enough. what do you do to seed the rest of the field though?

i think the "odd" results are just the gun time minus the time it took you to get across the line. in my case i have "start" split of 9s meaning it took me 9s to get across the line. for riders in the 2nd and 3rd waves it would have been more like 10mins or 20mins...
Sorry I meant self seeded based on previous results, not organiser seeded. The advantage of self seeded starts is the organisers can at least determine how many people intend to start in each wave and maybe adjust the waves accordingly. For example the Capital Punishment system was self seeded based your expected result but the actual time between wave starts and group size was determined by organisers based on the self seeding data.

As for the odd results, yup I think the start wave explains most of it. I was in the first wave so I hadn't realised that the clock for everyone started then and they just got their time to wave start deducted at the end... makes more sense now.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
1. My times worked out correct, including time adjustment from race start to actually riding over starting matt, and 30mins deducted for staying with fallen rider. Thnx maxiA.
2. Thumbs up for the speed of getting the results up and the nice interface for looking up results.
3. It all comes out in the wash wrt start times.
(4. My body thermostat doesn't like heat so I was hoping to wade the river this year, but didn't feel like drowning in the depths or getting cramps mid stream...... Instead I juggled my wobbly legs across the planks.)

Slezoj

Likes Dirt
podium

Do you think that race organizers in Australia will ever learn correct way of building podium??????

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Just had a look at the rider list and I think his race number might have been 1319? Not positive though so don't want to panic anyone if I'm wrong...luckily a doc was on scene within 5min...looked like a collar bone...maybe a rib or 2 and a lung...big hit on his head...struggling to breathe. At ambulance ride for sure and maybe heli ride...
Unfortunately you are right - 1/2 a dozen broken ribs, pneumo thorax, collar bone, scapula etc, bruised spine, soft tissue injuries and a helicopter ride to westmead for a stay in ICU. Expected hospital stay is 2 weeks.

At this stage all sounds fixable, but no doubt wont be going through metal detectors unscathed from now on

Brownster

Likes Dirt
Update from the Team Drunken Scum rider - Grahame Sonter.

First attempt at the greulling Dirtworks/ Convict 100 km mountain bike race, very hard course but alas I did not finish and here is why, at the 70km mark you have to cross a river over a canoe bridge which is a bit of a challenge, I was right at the end when I overbalanced and hit the last canoe and went head first into the sand with a big thud, I knew something was wrong but I tried to ride ride on, 3 km's later the pain in my neck/upper back was bad so I truned around and went to the RFS point and summoned some medical assistance, a paramedic assigned to the race arrived and assured me that I had done something to my neck/back and to stay completley still, he did vital signs and administered 20ml of Morphine which had no effect on the pain, put a saline drip on as I was dehydrated and also my sugar levels were down, decided to call an ambulance which I had no argument with, administered another 10ml of Morphine about 50mins after the first and the pain slowly started to subside, the call had now been put to get the Rescue Helicopter to fly me out as it was only a 15min flight to the Royal North Shore Hospital, upon my arrival an X-Ray and CT scan was done ASAP and I had fractured my T6 but no damage to the spinal cord or verterbrae. I was told that this was a very stable fracture and I was "Bloody Lucky" not to be in a wheelchair. I now have 2 weeks at home in a neck brace to think about which lawn bowls club I will join. The paramedics were astounding as was the crew at the RNSH, I could not thank them enough for their professional and friendly, exact manner they treated me. A very luck man indeed.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Brownster: Good to hear that you are on the road to recovery. (Any news of Paul Barnett who had a nasty accident at about the 30k mark?)

We've got to be thankful for what we have in Australia wrt health systems, voluntary organisations such as RFS and the ambos! I hope the local RFS and community were well recompensed for the time and effort they put into events such as C100. Thanks too for prize sponsors Ground Effect (NZ....) Within our family we have benefited from their support of MTBing in prizes over the years.

love the waterbars...

Unfortunately you are right - 1/2 a dozen broken ribs, pneumo thorax, collar bone, scapula etc, bruised spine, soft tissue injuries and a helicopter ride to westmead for a stay in ICU. Expected hospital stay is 2 weeks.

At this stage all sounds fixable, but no doubt wont be going through metal detectors unscathed from now on

Ummm..WOW! i was hoping i was wrong but i guess you can just tell sometimes...
the fact that he couldnt move from the cradle position...had a short shallow respiration of about 120...and was struggling to breathe even after 5 mins was a good indicator he was in a bit of trouble. Glad help was at hand quickly but the doc brought tears to my eyes when she helped herself up using the broken shoulder...ouch!
Check my garmin and it was showing 45kph at the time of accident and he finished at least 25m from the water bar...

Hope all goes well and heath has a speedy recovery...

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
(Any news of Paul Barnett who had a nasty accident at about the 30k mark?)
To the group of riders who helped at 30kmer mark (a young woman and team whatever...sorry my memory is fading, I'm heading to 60yo) .....

Answer my own question. Following PM from Paul's friend: Paul has been given all clear wrt neck fractures, but has broken fingers and cheek bone fracture, He is resting well in Westmead Hospital. (Wife has questions as to whether he'll be doing another 100kmer.... we'll talk her out of it.....) I'm trying to see what Paul did or didn't do right on the water bar - reflecting I think he hit a large rock with his front wheel which sent him a cropper... Could happen to any of us.... there but the grace of God...

Rida

Likes Bikes
To rider #482 John Fancourt - Thanks again for putting your ride on hold to help me out at the kayak bridge. If you are this rider or know this rider please send me a PM - I'd like to send you a pair of sunglasses to replace the ones you lost.

Brownster

Likes Dirt
Brownster: Good to hear that you are on the road to recovery. (Any news of Paul Barnett who had a nasty accident at about the 30k mark?)

We've got to be thankful for what we have in Australia wrt health systems, voluntary organisations such as RFS and the ambos! I hope the local RFS and community were well recompensed for the time and effort they put into events such as C100. Thanks too for prize sponsors Ground Effect (NZ....) Within our family we have benefited from their support of MTBing in prizes over the years.
Im all good this post was an extract from Grahame Sonter. Sounds like Paul is in good hands as well.

Clown Face

Cannon Fodder
Great event and personally pleased I beat my time from last year by over an hour.

Also took advantage of staying in St Alban's on the Saturday night. Nice to have a chat with the friendly locals and fireries and to sing some tunes with Team Decimator and Team Drunken Scum at the Settler's Arms.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Wow - some incredibly fast times in both the 100 and the 50!
How much vertical climbing was there in each category?