Convict (Dirt Works) 100 2012

bt100

Likes Dirt
I've never done the 100 before- does anyone know if they take water bottles for the riders to the 3 feed/water stations? cheers.
This race is one of the few that have no untimed sections, only returns to the start at the finish and is stated as a completely unsupported race (page13 of event program). The only assistance allowed is by other riders and the official bike mechanics at the 50km mark. They class everything else as cheating and if caught you will be disqualified.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
the feed stations @ 28km, 50km and 70km are fairly well stocked with snacks, water and gu2o though - certainly not to be relied upon as a sole source of nutrition (i'm sure you have your nutrition plan all sorted) but for emergencies and refilling water bottles they are great.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm crook and thus out.

I have a 100km entry if anybody wants it. Will let it go for nothing.

-Andrew Clark

Last edited:

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Well the weather was cracking. A few course records broken. No idea how I went but at least managed to stay out of the Hawkesbury this year.

Reports from the 6hr riders were that the kayak bridge turned out to be a debacle. Lined up out to the road and a 20min odd wait. One guy smashed himself up on it and had to be rescued, one guy in the drink and unable to clip out. Then wading was declared as too dangerous when a got chick in trouble because it turned out to be too deep.

dottyman

Likes Dirt
Kayak bridge

Well the weather was cracking. A few course records broken. No idea how I went but at least managed to stay out of the Hawkesbury this year.

Reports from the 6hr riders were that the kayak bridge turned out to be a debacle. Lined up out to the road and a 20min odd wait. One guy smashed himself up on it and had to be rescued, one guy in the drink and unable to clip out. Then wading was declared as too dangerous when a got chick in trouble because it turned out to be too deep.
Yep I was waiting for at least 20mins around 1230pm. Soon after I arrived at the queue they closed the bridge to get an injured rider across. Quite a few falling in at that stage too which is a tad un-nerving. There were also a few walking the bridge as the water was chin deep on the near side. Hats off to those who waded to avoid the wait.....I hope their gadgets were waterproof!
Perhaps a realistic alternate crossing could be chosen so riders dont drown phones and car keys??
An untimed section similar to the Wingello Oval at the Fling would have helped our times today.

big crash in the 50

anyone know how the guy that crashed on the downhill in the 50 pulled up? he was in a bad way...but in good hands with the medical team...i hope. think his name was heath ?

Brownster

Likes Dirt
Awesome day at the rwce did. 1st ever 100km for me. Around 5/1/2 hours. Tough course. Love the canoe crossing but not so much what was to come.
Great atmosphere down there at St Albans. Would have loved to stay tonight and celebrate but a 12hr nightshift is on the agenda.
Thanks to organisers, volunteers and all the competitors who made it a great day.

Will be back for sure.

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
Or Jersey Bins...

First time 50k for me (done the 100k a couple of times before). Cracking race, 45 minutes quicker than what I was expecting so pretty stoked. The course was fast! Perfect trails... Broke my chain when shifting stupidly on one of the many small uphills, twisted the front derailleur around too, so had no big ring after twisting it back into place. So ran a 2x9 for two-thirds of the race... ;-) Actually climbed the KOM section too without dabbing so pretty happy all round...

Another slick event by Max Adventure... Big thanks to the Bush Firies and volunteers for marshalling etc. Couldn't happen with them...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
anyone know how the guy that crashed on the downhill in the 50 pulled up? he was in a bad way...but in good hands with the medical team...i hope. think his name was heath ?
Jeez - any ideas on the bike? I know a heath who was racing today.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Congrats to the MaxAdventure crew to yet another cracking race. After the morning fog cleared (or we got above it with that climb) the weather was absolutely awesome and the track was in pretty good nick considering the weather we've had this year. A few wet spots before the 50km mark but after that it was really good. I got across the kayak bridge before the dramas but two ambulances passed me before I reached the bottom of the next firetrail climb... they weren't the only sirens that I heard during the day either and I head the chopper was called in too. I really hope everyone who got injured today has a super speedy recovery.

I rolled into 50km point feeling like I was riding super well but then checked my split and thought it was the same as last years! :-( haha misremembered my split and was actually 20 mins fast to the 50km point and ended up 35 minutes quicker all up - stoked!

Huge thanks to all the vollies out today, as always the St Albans community has been awesome and I hope they continue to have us back every year.

Perhaps a realistic alternate crossing could be chosen so riders dont drown phones and car keys??
Everyone knows about the river crossing... there's no secret that you might take a swim... I think it's up to riders to ensure their items are all kept waterproofed. However drowning riders is another matter, an alternate crossing when the river is too deep to safely wade is probably a safety issue.

Last edited:

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Only my second convict 100 but again was an awesome race. Not enough training as per usual and unfortunately was witness to rider 416 Paul Barnett coming off on a water bar at about the 30km mark. Hope you make an uneventful recovery. Thanks for everyone who stayed and helped him, slowing the traffic down and the guy who rode back to the 25km feeding station for assistance. Thanks to medico who stoppped to give assitance

Again a huge thanks to all of the St Albans and district RFS who provided, abundant food, and good cheer and of course to the paramedics who were kept busy once again. Was hesistant on walliking over the canoe bridge with about 20 othe riders in a daisy chain. Biy that bridge moved and I an surprised i didn't end up in the drink. Managed to go under 6hrs this year. Great event!

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fantastic event again, PB for 100 for me, sub 7 hrs - yay. waiting for official times. Great track, great weather again, thanks to all the staff and vounteers. Will be back for sure.

Bridge queue was a little disappointing, was out onto the road when I got there. Fortunately(or not) they were letting bunchs of walkers over the bridge and I got into one so I didnt have to wait to long. props to the event staff. Ive ridden it before so wasn't desparate to ride it (plus no wrist bands!). Was more worried about going in while walking than while riding last time.

dottyman

Likes Dirt
Sure. My first 100k race. Didn't get wet but didn't expect too either, hence my lack of waterproofing.
I hope the girl that put a rider's front tooth into her ziplock bag from an accident off a water bar at 30km didn't go in the drink.
A great day and a totally awesome course, I especially loved the 30-50km section, Devine's Hill and Jacks track.

Just had a look at the rider list and I think his race number might have been 1319? Not positive though so don't want to panic anyone if I'm wrong...luckily a doc was on scene within 5min...looked like a collar bone...maybe a rib or 2 and a lung...big hit on his head...struggling to breathe. At ambulance ride for sure and maybe heli ride...

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
One of the Team Drunken Scum guys got a helicopter ride. Found out from a friend who rode his bike as his own bike packed it in at the same point.

Apparently after getting to the RNS hospital he was OK.

Brownster

Likes Dirt
Havent heard from my mate Guru (Grahame Sonter) and he was riding with Team Drunken Scum. Glad to hear they are okay though who ever it was.