Core Stability, a neuroscience approach

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I had some time at work, so I thought I might start a thread about core stability as every time some on this forum site asks for training advice, there are always a handful of people citing the importance of training to improve core stability. Then abusing me for my outlandish views and lack of knowledge :) This will be a rambling mess, as I am typing it between testing sessions in a lab.

Disclaimer: I am anti-core stability so this is partially biased, the concept is a complete fail. It has been heavily marketed by stupid PT’s and stupider physiotherapist (who should know better). That being said, a well-rounded exercise program should incorporate some ‘core’ stability, it’s just that the approach that many people take is misguided.
Background (the conclusion will make a lot more sense if you read this):

When we do any exercise that makes our muscles stronger, there are two primarily adaptions, neural and muscular. If you have ever gone to gym for the first time you may have noticed in the first 4-6 weeks you made excellent strength gains, then they slowed down after this period. This occurs because the first 4 weeks we undergo rapid neural adaptations DeVries (1979), with little to no actual muscle morphology adaptation (hypertrophy or bigger muscles).

Specifically:

Normal untrained people cannot fully activate a muscle, so when you maximally load a muscle there’s actually a portion of the muscle that still does not activate - we measure the difference by electrocuting the nerve to the muscle during a maximal voluntary contraction, an increase in force during this is the measurement of your activation level. In the initial 4 weeks to training you ‘learn’ to activate more of the muscle (never all).
During any muscle contraction the opposing muscle (antagonist) will also activate. So during a bicep curl your triceps will activate. This means you have to overcome the force the antagonist creates, meaning your maximal force is reduced by the level of force created by the antagonist. During the first 4 weeks of training, you ‘learn’ to activate the antagonist less, meaning you have more applied force from the agonist.
During a gross movement (compound or a movement that requires lots of muscle to work together), the muscles that help or assist the agonist (prime movers or strongest most important muscle/s in the movement), they learn to coordinate their activation better, this also makes you stronger – imagine a 10 guys pulling a rope all pulling at different times vs all pulling in synchronisation.
There is more to neural adaptations than this, but these are some of the major ones. Now, after 4 weeks, these factors are maximised and muscle morphology changes become dominate. But it MUST be noted that these adaptations are highly specific to the mode of exercise they are learnt in.

Back in 1957 two blokes did a study looking at making muscles stronger by using either isokinetic or isometric training methods (Rasch & Morehouse). Specifically, they did bicep curls standing using a pulley system. During testing after the 4 weeks of training, they compared bicep curls standing (just like every training session) and during supine (laying down face up), remembering the pulley system allows this. What they found was while standing the people had gotten a lot stronger (about 45% from memory), during supine there was no difference in strength. This was the first study to highlight the specificity of neural adaptations have during posture. Conclusion if you want to make a muscle stronger, it must be trained specifically to the posture required. The neural or learning side of strength does NOT transfer to other postures. Application for core stability?

More recently Wilson (1996) found similar outcomes, when training posture after a training program from what was used in the training program. This is a good study with reliable methods, what they found was interesting.
Examples (this is after an 8 week, high intensity training program, so there is also an element of hypertrophy measured here):
Bench Press: 12.4% improvement translated to a 0.7% improvement during a push up.
Squat: 20.9% improvement translated really nicely into a 21.2% improvement in vertical jump (almost identical movement) but only translated into a 2.3% improvement in 40m sprint.
Conclusion, just like what Rasch found, strength improvements are highly specific to the mode and posture they are ‘learn’ in.
Even more recently Goodman and Pearce (my old supervisor ), looked at bench press on a swissball and on a standard bench (He didn’t publish the data). There is no transference of strength from on apparatus to the other, but both made good strength gains on the apparatus (bench or ball) in which the individuals trained on.
So it is clear to me at least and there’s certainly more research out there to support this, the muscle activation underpinning strength gains are highly specific to the mode and method of exercise they are learnt in. So how does rolling around on a floor to develop your ‘core’ help your core stability while you are upright on a bicycle?

Core stability defined and measured:

It is harder to define than most people think – traditionally (mid-late 90’s) it was considered to primarily be the trunk muscles that influenced the lumbo-pelvic region but specifically the muscles between the bottom rib and top of pelvis. The paradigm has shifted to include all muscles that influence the spine, so essentially anything between your neck and knee, i.e. all of your major musculature. This makes more sense to me, as for example a tight hamstring which changes pelvic tilt will also directly affect the lower back (both muscles and vertebrae). This newer definition by default then suggests that focusing on your entire body in an exercise program is a wise thing to do, obviously no surprise there.
How do we measure core stability? Got me stuffed, I don’t think you can. McGill has published a method of measuring core stability improvements, but it is not been scientifically shown to be valid or reliable (but many clinicians will argue it is). So, if we have no proven and effective way of measuring core stability, how can people say it helps their performance – after all you don’t objectively know if you have improved it? (Weir, 2010).
In many studies they have looked at core stability in normal healthy people who are essentially sedentary, core stability works! But they have compared it to the individuals watching television, not any other form of exercise. Conclusion here is core stability training is better at improving your ‘core’ than if you instead simply watched television and did no training.
If you can come up with a valid and reliable measure of ‘core stability’, by all means publish it, you’ll have 1k citations in no time.

In the beginning:

The term core stability was first published somewhere around 94-96, with the first major and heavily cited study by Hodges (a smart bloke from Queensland). They found that when comparing people with good/normal backs to those with bad backs (LBP) there was a timing difference in muscle activation in the trunk. People with good backs activated their ’core’ muscles immediately before (milliseconds) before raising their arm, this is a feed forward mechanism thought to provide stability to the trunk prior to external perturbations. People with LBP, this occurred after they had already raised there arm, meaning no support was provided in the trunk prior to external perturbations. It is a heavily cited study and started the core stability craze; recently there has been some criticism about the methodology. Secondly, there has not been a study ever published to show that if you have LBP and a timing of the muscle discrepancy that this can be changed back to normal.
Prior to the Hodges study, there had been several studies looking at trunk strength and LBP, specifically in pregnancy and after surgery that removed the abdominal wall. There was no relationship shown between no core stability what so ever, most of these people could not even raise their shoulders off the ground, and LBP (Kroll, 1995; Gilleard, 1996; Osgaard, 1991). These studies were completely ignored by the core stability advocates. Although these are clinical issues, not sports training and performance.

Swiss balls:

Probably the most common method the people attempt to develop and improve their core stability, blame the physio’s a PT’s. The premise is that a swiss ball creates an unstable or ‘labile’ surface that requires you to activate your ‘core’ to greater levels over training on a stable surface. The idea being that this will result in improved ‘core’ stability. I know you’re just bursting to know, does the science support this approach even though many of the so called fitness gurus heavily advocate there use?
Lehman (2005) did a variety of exercise on and off a swiss ball and found that there was no difference in core activation between the two methods. The study does not specify the %RM used in the study – this may have made a difference and the conclusion was that training on a swiss ball (doing a variety of dumbbell exercises) does not aid core stability training.
Behm (2002) looked at some leg exercises on a swiss ball vs and bench and a chair. It was found that when on a swiss ball your maximum strength is 20% less than a bench or chair, this means that getting stronger muscle while on a labile surface is not going to happen. They also found that the antagonist was 30% more active, presumably to try and stabilise the pelvis? Conclusion was using a swiss ball MAY be ok if you want to get stronger (note, this was a strength study, not a core stability study).
Lehman (2007) had participants do a variety of push ups in various labile conditions, whilst measuring muscle activity. It was noted that there was very low rates of muscle activation in the agonists, meaning that they would not get stronger or bigger.
There is a lot more research out there to show that training on a swiss ball is not an effective method of improving core stability and it fails completely if you want to get stronger in general. The labile surface causes you nervous system to reduce the activation of the primary muscles in the exercise, which causes them not to improve. The conclusion is if you want to get stronger DO NOT use a swiss ball in you resistance training program.

Core stability and sports performance:

I have had a good dig around in pubmed and medline and I core stability studies looking at studies are extremely rare, which suggests (currently) there is no direct evidence to support the use of core stability in cycling.
Abt (2007) looked at core stability and cycling, their conclusion was that core stability training resulted in “No significant differences were demonstrated for pedaling forces”, it is a little more complicated than that as they also looked into fatigue. I am pretty sure people on this forum advocate core stability for cycling for this very reason?
In a couple of running studies looking at core stability and improvements in performance… Stanton (2004) came to the conclusion “Data from the current study suggest that, while Swiss ball training may positively affect core stability, physical performance as defined by V˙ O2max, vV˙ O2max, or running economy, is not enhanced. Furthermore, muscle fatigue as detected by sEMG appears unaffected by 6 weeks of Swiss ball training”.
Also, Sato (2009) found there was no difference in kinetics or run time after 6 weeks of a core stability training program. Pilates research which has looked at core stability on performance, health, LBP and even weight loss is even worse, no quality research in this area has found anything of interest.

My approach to core stability:

It is really simple, use excellent posture and overload your resistance training, cycle more and do as many forms of cross training as possible, especially things like swimming. I’m not getting paid to give out free advice (my hecs debt is outrageous) so I’ll keep it simple.

Exercise like the squat and the dead lift, these are fantastic ‘core’ exercise. BUT, you must use perfect form. If you can’t use perfect form, the loads too heavy. You don’t decide if your form is perfect, someone else needs to be watching from various angles. There is no such thing as good enough posture for these exercises, if you value you back, it must be perfect. These are complex exercises that load your ‘core’ muscles as well as the agonists.
Seated row or a lat pull down in which you lean back close to 45 degrees. Yet again posture is everything, leaning back puts more stress on the ‘core’ muscles because you are increasing the ‘leverage’ onto them. During any sort of row or latpull down, the trunk should not move at all (with the exception of having full pro/retraction at the shoulder).
An exercise like the plank or side plank is also very good and many people view these entirely as core exercises, but they have been around for decades if in centuries. Great exercises for developing endurance, but terrible if you have hypertension, they’ll put your BP through the roof (because its constant tension unlike repetitions, which allow a pause in muscle contraction).
Throw some shit, you’ll see boxers doing this a lot. Develops upper body strength and power (obviously) but get what muscles have to support the upper limbs during this… rock climb, take up a martial art, oil yourself up and have some man on man wrestle time (don’t let the wife catch you…)
Secondly, don’t waste your time incorporating swiss balls into your strength training program, if you do that you won’t be getting stronger. If you must do some swiss ball exercise, do them completely separate from you resistance training program.

Now what?
I am presuming the people out there that swear by core stability training will continue to engage in it, which is fine by me, it’s your time and I always tell people don’t believe anything you read on the internet. But at least the people who are on the fence or have not been biased by being told (by unqualified people) they must engage in core stability exercises, will use their common sense and ignore this fad and engage in conventional and proven methods of getting stronger, increasing performance and staying healthy.

If anyone wants more advice on their strength and condition practices, and is willing to travel to Deakin Burwood and buy me a coffee… happy to have a chat.

MWI
BAppSci (Human Movement)
MAppSci (Ex Rehab)
PhD (Neurophysiology) current

John U

MTB Precision
Apparently jumping on the trampoline is great for core strength too, and fun. My physio was half hearted when endorsing it but it makes fairly good sense. Might look a bit silly but worth a try. You can certainly feel it working the muscles in the core region.

What do you think?

driftking

Wheel size expert
After the dh training thread I was interested in reading this when I saw your username under this little gem.
I don't have time to go through it all now but I will read it later.
From what I read there is some value to it though the lack to test core is probably Also difficult to discount it. Core also supports extremities so the cross over into this needs to be tested as well.
While isolating he core might not be very proven on paper to improve results how does it affect the extremities and in turn how do results then compare here.

I think There needs to be some or a large bit of merit to the actual results though. Many people train the core and do developing improved results. I think we need to also consider most movements if not all will engage the core to a extent so even if you don't train the core directly all compound and some isolation exercises will still training the core as a secondary muscle.
This could result in the variation it as you can't really have a control group not engaging the core as we naturally will do so during most activities.

As you mention the posture of the exercise needs to translate to the sport, this is important. Things like split stance and unilateral leg exercises are a good example for cycle specific training.

on the swiss ball side of things, I have heard that in terms of core stability is doesn't other much benefit though I do wonder how some exercises with it does transfer to riding. I.e Gwin actually stands on the ball and does over head presses and other various exercises. Now core stability aside, I wonder how does this training affect balance under movement. As we know riding dh we are always finding a balance and constantly exerting a force now if we adapt to been able to balance while exerting this force or become more accustom to been off balance this could only improve our stability on the bike, if not our stability it puts us in a comfortable area we have become accustom too been in. ie more confidence less worry better riding? This is just conclusion based on how i would see these things helping.

I for one have fairly weak core but I have great balance and always have, I am one of those people who pick virtually anything up that involves balance very quickly. Even my weak core I still tend to perform well at these sports, so I do wonder while these exercises might not be scientifically proven to increase core performance many of these exercises would improve our balance and I am interested to see how that transfers over on the trail to performance.

Now as I said I have not fully read your post but I m very pro core :) so I'll probably get back later with a bias post.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The conclusion is if you want to get stronger DO NOT use a swiss ball in you resistance training program.

My approach to core stability:

oil yourself up and have some man on man wrestle time (don’t let the wife catch you…)
I think you'll find that that's waaay more fun if swiss balls are involved! You've just got to have a bit of imagination...

*thad*

Likes Bikes
Thanks for taking the time to write that. I read the last artical you linked with great interest as i have been on the fence to if it was worth my time/money going and doing these classes.
Next time I am in Melb ill get you a coffee or 6.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
*Subscribe*

Great post MWI, certainly very interesting to read a scientific approach to the issue.

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great post, Thank you.

It holds a lot of weight. bicep curl machines that have a rest where the arm sits on rather than holding the bicep in place without the rest works so well.

Also would push up's be swapped for wide arm pull ups or dips and just totally leave out push up's?

Cheers,

driftking

Wheel size expert
Great post, Thank you.

It holds a lot of weight. bicep curl machines that have a rest where the arm sits on rather than holding the bicep in place without the rest works so well.

Also would push up's be swapped for wide arm pull ups or dips and just totally leave out push up's?

Cheers,
Dips no, the Primary muscle isn't the Same.
And I wouldn't swap them for pull downs either you want to ideally swap them out for another push workout that uses the same primary muscle and if possible the same supporting.

When getting a routine together you need to balance the workouts not only with muscle groups but also push and pull. Doing all push or all pull isn't effect in a total workout.
Push ups would be closer to a free weight bench press with dumbbells
Imp

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Push ups would be closer to a free weight bench press with dumbbells
Imp
Or traditional barbell bench with 40% of your weight. Considering the ground in a pushup is in a fixed plane, like a straight bar.

Thanks for the post MWI, I love reading this stuff!!

strezd

Likes Bikes
In general training should mimic intended activity your training for as closely as possible.

Once you understand the way your body works and interacts with your activity you can isolate specific actions/movements and create exercises for those movements.

Do we use our core whilst cycling? Of course we do. Will situps help my cycling? Probably not much.

That said I'm sure there are many core exercises beneficial to cycling they just won't be as beneficial as actually riding your bike in the way you want to improve.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was always under the assumption that "core" muscles were any muscles that are primarily used to support a movement. I.e. You can gain improvements in bicep curls by strengthening the back and shoulders without doing any bicep curls at all.

After 2 years of climbing I can tell you that core stability not only exists but can be essential ( in climbing anyway).

In reference to riding I would think the core had more effect on the ability to turn and reaction to external imputs than pedalling.

my02

Likes Dirt
Great post MWI !

So would you recommend weighted decline trunk curls with lateral rotation at full spinal flexion and moderate abdominal hollowing or standing one footed on those vibrating gym machine things whilst watching the Body Slap Attack class in the adjacent studio?

;-)

On a more serious note, what are your thoughts on training the core muscles to resist movement? My guess is a lot of people will still think about training that actively articulates the spine (e.g. crunches, hyperextensions etc)?

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

Apparently jumping on the trampoline is great for core strength too, and fun. My physio was half hearted when endorsing it but it makes fairly good sense. Might look a bit silly but worth a try. You can certainly feel it working the muscles in the core region.

What do you think?
Not too sure - I've never considered a tramp before. I would think is long as you make it hard, try some tuck jumps, do big jumps and land without jumping again and landing back to front rotations. Certainly if you moved more towards the gymnastics side of thing, it would be great (as long as you don't land on your head). We used to use a mini tramp post stroke with people, but that was purely for the balance side of things, and it freaked out the oldies then they had some fun with it.

I think There needs to be some or a large bit of merit to the actual results though. Many people train the core and do developing improved results. I think we need to also consider most movements if not all will engage the core to a extent so even if you don't train the core directly all compound and some isolation exercises will still training the core as a secondary muscle.
The only problem is when people train there core there is no proof that it has assisted their results, it could have been any number of factors, until a reliable and valid test is developed (not likely after 15 yrs already) it's just heresay. Currently there's no studies to support an increase in sports performance in any sport other and balancing on a ball after core stability work. I certainly think that training the 'core' secondary in compound exercises is an excellent what to do it, that way it is integrated into the movement pattern.

Gwin actually stands on the ball and does over head presses and other various exercises
Yeah, not surprised at all when I hear stuff like this occurring, basically he is getting better at standing on a ball, while putting himself in a high risk falls position and has to use a load so low it offers to benefits to the muscles lifting it. From my experience and from stories I here around the office, many strength and conditioning coaches are morons (AFL is particularly bad), they simply follow trends to keep up with the Jones's. Sounds harsh, but true.

Thanks for taking the time to write that. I read the last artical you linked with great interest as i have been on the fence to if it was worth my time/money going and doing these classes.
Next time I am in Melb ill get you a coffee or 6.
I didn't relink the Lederman article, it comes across as very biased, although it has many valid points and a great read. The article and Lederman have been absolutely attacked by the core fascists, in lay articles, not peer reviewed literature funnily enough.

Great post, Thank you.

Cheers,
Exactly what driftking said.

In general training should mimic intended activity your training for as closely as possible.
Yes, to a degree, I'll answer this tomorrow.

Mywifesirrational

I was always under the assumption that "core" muscles were any muscles that are primarily used to support a movement. I.e. You can gain improvements in bicep curls by strengthening the back and shoulders without doing any bicep curls at all.

After 2 years of climbing I can tell you that core stability not only exists but can be essential ( in climbing anyway).

In reference to riding I would think the core had more effect on the ability to turn and reaction to external imputs than pedalling.
I have seen no evidence to suggest this, with the exception depending what should muscles we are taking about, as for example posterior deltiod works as a true synergist during a elbow flexion (with no shoulder flexion), so theoretically perhaps?

Climbing has to be great 'core' workout, it's a strong resistance training stimulus with the body at all sorts of odd angles. And the need to coordinate the power of the legs with arm movements (and lots of fun until you fall 20m because the mrs got distracted during belaying).

Great post MWI !

So would you recommend weighted decline trunk curls with lateral rotation at full spinal flexion and moderate abdominal hollowing or standing one footed on those vibrating gym machine things whilst watching the Body Slap Attack class in the adjacent studio?

;-)

On a more serious note, what are your thoughts on training the core muscles to resist movement? My guess is a lot of people will still think about training that actively articulates the spine (e.g. crunches, hyperextensions etc)?
I dislike any truck flexion with rotation, puts the spine in a compromised position, OK when your young and healthy and certain sports need this type of movement. Also, aviod the vibration machines, another complete fad, one of the researchers at work did her honours in vibration a while back, good methodology, no benefits what so ever. Potentially another long post about why vibration is a waste of time.

I think if you can training them to resist movements is the best approach, as generally this is exactly how they work. I was pondering it on the ride home tonight, the scene in Karate Kid with him in the waves... seems to me that might be a really good approach to stability.

my02

Likes Dirt
Also, aviod the vibration machines, another complete fad, one of the researchers at work did her honours in vibration a while back, good methodology, no benefits what so ever. Potentially another long post about why vibration is a waste of time.
I wouldn't bother with a lengthy post. If people are on this forum, they mountain bike. Therefore they understand the requirement for hard work. Vibration machines seem to target lazy bastards which MTBers generally are not!

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have seen no evidence to suggest this, with the exception depending what should muscles we are taking about, as for example posterior deltiod works as a true synergist during a elbow flexion (with no shoulder flexion), so theoretically perhaps?
Your example from the first post shows this. Since the body is using extra muscles to support the lift in a standing position larger strength gains were achieved.

For arguments sake, try arm curls with a weight that is obviously to heavy for you to normally manage. The first part of your body where you will notice fatigue and a lack of strength is your shoulder. Also, you should be able to notice that it will pull your body forward, and your shoulder down, and that you will be activating the muscles in the back in order to counter these forces.

I guess the simplest way to put it is that you can't fire a cannon out of a canoe.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Good replys MWI
Has there been studies done how the core effects other training or does a stronger core improve athletes ability to train extremities to a higher level?
If having higher core stability increases the training load handled in ther exercises and these exercises are proven to improve riding, there could be some merit to core strength improve other training which in turn generates results....that is something I would be interested to see tested.

Also again I'd think even if the core isn't proven to improve performance I would like to see the focus changed to how balance training helps. This could give the Aaron Gwin style training some merit if we are increasing our balance. As someone with good balance I can safely say all balance whether on a ball or not transfers over to improved balance in basically every area.

I am still very pro core as there is still a lot of health benefits even if it doesn't result In a faster ride. I would also point out the injury prevention benefits.
I think while we don't understand how, the core still has benefits on the bike whether this is directly or indirectly IMO.
Although I can't deny if the science points to no benefit, will this turn my point of view no, will I still train my core yes. I like this thread and the info is great but there is more studies I would like to see to see how the core could relate indirectly to improved times or athletic ability.

Last edited: