Advocacy Alert Council Submission: Would appreciate some Feedback

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I have been working on a run down facility in the inner west (see my Kiddie park Thread).

Council has been looking it over and I suspect the dozers are on their way.

The only thing going in my favour is that Sydney Water has been in their way ... and they've been waiting for them to pull up stumps. Also, I've gone to great efforts to not get carried away and build 5' kickers every couple feet. I've made sure there is a B & flat C line around or thru each feature ... which I hope is winning some votes.

Anyway, was talking to a couple of the SW workers today, while I was eyeing off his backhoe ... and well they've been canned. They're digging out the gravel road and the council are coming in with the Mulch and flowers.

In an attempt to slow or stop the dozers ... I've drafted the attached. (ignore the soppy I love you ending)

Would greatly appreciate your feedback ... Sammydog, Flynny, scratchy, etc.

My plan is to go to Council on Monday 3 Aug ... try to talk the the garden crew chief and tell him what I'm doing in an attempt to get a sympathetic delay ... then submit the preso.

Not too sure about the Benefits section or the Groms bit (too soppy) ... but *shrugs ... Also would you prefer Powerpoint or Word ... I reckon Powerpoint ... but couldn't upload on here.

Feel free to be savagely critical ... but constructive in your feedback

Thanks in advance.

Al

Attachments

Last edited:

Davo94

Likes Dirt
In section Three Expansion of Facility you have missed the 'd' in recreated.

Other than that it looks good.

Good luck in getting the trail

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Nerf

I've made several comments to your draft submission (in track changes).

My advice and comments may seem heavy-handed and overly negative. I read it as a public servant who reads and prepares many submissions, so it does seem like I am lecturing but I hope that you can translate it into a fantastic submission.

One other comment I would make (but didn't include in the document) is to focus on small wins now, ie continuation of existing DJ trail building/maintenance, and keep the long term stuff (XC trail) for another submission.

While this submission is important, there is a lot of leg work to get support from others (eg local politicians, other park users, schools, other cycling groups) that will provide the basis for your submission. This is perhaps where the rotorburn network can help, writing letters to members and to local media, talking to people, getting your school principal, P&C etc to support it. Remember that a submission is a means to an ends, and is not the end itself.

Regards

Dumbellina

Attachments

DjRyde

Likes Dirt
Hey al I reckon u should write a letter to the inner west weekly or inner west courier and see what happens mabye set up a poll or go round to people in the local community. (me and mates could do that). Yet to read draft submission. Good work though writing it.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Al,

Somewhere on the councils website will be their strategic masterplan or some such document which will detail how council will operate for a set period.

In is will be a whole set of management outcomes that they wish to achieve, from providing garbage services to assessing all their DA's on time.

Somewhere in there there should be something about the provision of services and facilities for youth and community recreation (or something similar). You need to find as many of these applicable outcomes as you can find so that in your submission you can show how that track is actually a facility that helps council achieve their management outcomes.

That way you can point out that councils own policies actually call for this kind of facility.

Good luck with it.

DjRyde

Likes Dirt
*Quotes are from Draft*
3.Tbug seeks Council stop planned replanting and mulching of grounds post Sydney Water maintenance.
With this Al i would say work around, (not stop and wait), but also leave it alone and do what they need to do without disturbing it.

One other comment I would make (but didn't include in the document) is to focus on small wins now, ie continuation of existing DJ trail building/maintenance, and keep the long term stuff (XC trail) for another submission.
Yer as Dumbellina said leave it to small wins now.

The second most common comment is that it is great to have something for the children to enjoy so close to home and get them away from the TV.
Comment on the rise of child obesity and how get out and about reduces this.

I am happy to have befriended many of these Young adults and their enthusiasm and attitude towards our work dispels many of the negative stereotypes
Ohh so kind.

Also another thing is reckon i could make a petiton and take that round to local residents.

Anyway that was a great draft.Good ongoing work your doing.

DjRyde

Likes Dirt
I found this it might be a bit old it was on the Canada BAy website may be of use,
Council and BAYBUG (Canada Bay Bicycle User Group) will be hosting a 3.8km cycle event for families. event for families limited to 120 participants
From 2007 held at timbrell park

Another one from 2008
Come along and experience the joy of cycling at a family fun day on Sunday, 21 September at Timbrell Park, Five Dock.

City of Canada Bay Council in partnership with the RTA is holding the Canada Bay Bicycle Fun Ride as part of NSW Bike Week celebrations.

Canada Bay Mayor Angelo Tsirekas said, "This is a great opportunity for families and all members of the community to come along and enjoy the fun of cycling in a safe environment.

"Cycling is great way to build and maintain fitness as well as being an active and environmentally friendly alternative to using the car."

Beginning at 10am, cyclists will ride the 1.2km cycle track located within Timbrell Park. There are two smaller cycle tracks in the park so younger children can also get involved and have a go. Cycling will conclude at 1pm and participants are invited to enjoy a free barbecue lunch.

Event participants will be required to register on arrival at the registration tent which will be open from 10am and located near the intersection of Henley Marine Drive and Augusta Street. Please bring your bike and safety helmet with you.

unitec

Likes Dirt
I’m not much of an expert on councils however after playing a small part in the battle for the Grove I took the following away from the experience:-
1. Lobbying the elected representatives directly and not putting your hopes on the public servants that are often more interested burying anything that means work or risk seems to be the go. The general manager of Manly council (who ordered the destruction of the grove) is dead against any form of dirt jumps and has been dragged kicking & screaming all the way by the councillors.
Starting with a submission to the local precinct meeting complete with a large delegation of riders seemed to get the attention of the local community & elected representatives and also provided an opportunity to practice the presentation. By the time the issue got to a council meeting all the councillors had been bombarded with emails in support and were so supportive that one of them even offered to put his own money towards the project.
2. Councils will always ask for the jumps to be run by a club to ensure that public liability is directed away from council however this appears to be a standard response that in my opinion has very little grounds and not necessarily required. Councils provide plenty of facilities that don’t require a third party to accept public liability. The most obvious being skate parks. In my opinion clubs may be able to manage facilities requiring regular competition however can contribute very little to facilities such as skate parks & dirt jumps that are primarily used for recreation only. The key to getting council to accept this is to demonstrate that there are some recognised standards for them to build the jumps to. Therefore as long as the jumps conform to the standards the council is covered.
3. I would suggest contacting Dave Muzgrove (Muzz) who is leading the battle for the grove as he would probably have a wealth of info that you could use.
4. One last suggestion would be to put some effort into rallying the Farkin community so that when you need a show of support at a council meeting you get it. It is amazing to see the power that a large turn out of riders have at a meeting without even saying a word.

Good Luck

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Nerf Herder, I just noticed this thread. I'll give your submission a read tomorrow and send you some comments.

I wouldn't get too carried away with the garden crew though. They don't make the call on things like this. They just do the gardens.

It will probably be something like recreational services or property that you need to talk to, along with the elected Councillors.

I’m not much of an expert on councils however after playing a small part in the battle for the Grove I took the following away from the experience:-
1. Lfobbying the elected representatives directly and not putting your hopes on the public servants that are oten more interested burying anything that means work or risk seems to be the go. The general manager of Manly council (who ordered the destruction of the grove) is dead against any form of dirt jumps and has been dragged kicking & screaming all the way by the councillors.
The comment there about public servants trying to bury anything that means work couldn't be any further from the truth and probably strengthens your point about you not being an expert on Council's.

Take it from someone with in Council, that is not the case and having that sort attitude as a public servant will mean you have a short career in Council. The typical Council stereotype is long gone. Because someone inside the system has a contrary opinion (often based on policies put in place by the elected officials) doesn't mean that they are burying things that mean work.

I agree with going to the Councilors, often they are the ones who need to be consulted, or convinced, when policy needs to be varied, but don't write off the staff because they don't agree with you.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Good luck Al. Start a petition thread on this, maybe even ask Scott to put it on the front page. You'll get huge support from us farkers.

unitec

Likes Dirt
Nerf Herder, I just noticed this thread. I'll give your submission a read tomorrow and send you some comments.

I wouldn't get too carried away with the garden crew though. They don't make the call on things like this. They just do the gardens.

It will probably be something like recreational services or property that you need to talk to, along with the elected Councillors.

The comment there about public servants trying to bury anything that means work couldn't be any further from the truth and probably strengthens your point about you not being an expert on Council's.

Take it from someone with in Council, that is not the case and having that sort attitude as a public servant will mean you have a short career in Council. The typical Council stereotype is long gone. Because someone inside the system has a contrary opinion (often based on policies put in place by the elected officials) doesn't mean that they are burying things that mean work.

I agree with going to the Councilors, often they are the ones who need to be consulted, or convinced, when policy needs to be varied, but don't write off the staff because they don't agree with you.
My appologies Sammydog.
My comments were definately from the stand point of an outsider looking in.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
More thanks. good suggestions re: Farkin etc etc ... being somewhat pessimistic, I think I've left my run a little late, so am kinda resigned to the first stage being mowed ... but thats OK, in the end its a council facility already so somewhat optimistic provided I do the ground work properly first time. Will follow up with petitions and membership drives as stage 2.

My approach is that I have one chance (ie: a first impression) so I'd prefer to take my time and get as much input into the submission, prior to heading out to suck some cod.

Sammydog, if you haven't already ... focus on Dumbellina's (D) attached version ... as I've found that very thought provoking and I'd like to carry on from there. (Ta)

I am canning the XC short track idea at this stage as D is right and I'm biting off too much too soon.

Some context ... TBUG is really 2 guys at this stage ... me and Kerian ... with some casuals ... so straight away I'm kinda worried given the Clubs thing and D's first page comments re incorporation.

Would appreciate some comments re starting a club.

As an alternative (to Tbug) I could refocus this and refer to Leichardt Bicycle User Group (LBug) which I have had initial talks too and would be willing to support my efforts (although not sure what exposure they have had with this particular council ... they are more active with the Leichardt / Balmain / Rozelle Council).

Anyway cheers

Nmag

Likes Dirt
What Crofty said is very important dealing with council. Get to know your POM's. (plans of management). Council lives by these things.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Dumbelina's comments have got me on the back foot a bit ... I hadn't considered the club stuff and personal liability.

Similarly, I think I need to engage the local BUGs Canada Bay and Leichardt.

I'm updating the submission, but pressure is off a bit, as council has turfed the approach roads to the facility by not in the facility (this could just be council logic but *shrugs) ...

Cheers to those that have PM'd advice etc. Has lead to a bit of a rethink.