COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

moorey

call me Mia
Since when has quarantining healthy people been a logical measure? It's never been done at any other time. Current active cases in Victoria number about 50, and dropping by the day. Hardly a "crisis" by now, yet Andrews is still carrying on as if we're all going to get dead if we look at someone the wrong way. Propagating an attitude of fear opens up a whole raft of other problems that are massively outweighing the one they're contentrating on.
None of this has been done any time. And we aren’t quarantining healthy people. We are distancing them.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Vigilance is different to "propagating fear". At no point in this has the Andrews govt been anything but extremely clear and straightforward about the risks posed by COVID and the chosen approach to suppression.

The reality is, you only have the luxury of saying this is 'hardly a "crisis" by now' because of the lockdown actions taken, not in spite of them. To then use that as support for an argument that ongoing lockdown is "illogical paranoia and ignoran[t] of broader issues" is cognitive dissonance at its finest.

To co-opt a famous RBG quote - it's "like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet"
Super strong agree.
Me too

Cardy George

While there is no 'cure' for anxiety/depression etc, there are a large number of support structures.

There's no cure for Covid-19. Stay the fuck home is the best method we have right now

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Speak for yourself, not others. Caution is one thing, illogcal paranoia and ignorance of broader issues is another.
The vic cho said his team wants to see what the actual underlying community transfer is via mass testing before lifting restrictions. It’s not illogical or paranoid to want to get the best data before making decisions.. It’s hardly a big ask another week or so.. Another outbreak and second lockdown will destroy public confidence and completely fuck the economy.. It would be irresponsible to rush changes when there is still unknown level of community transfer..
Btw I have 2 kids at home, both of us are working from home, everyone is at their wits end. It’s fucked, we pretty much have to home school the youngest on top of everything..

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
That's pretty much my view, that statistics suggest low numbers, but asymptomatic cases are unknown.

Cardy George

The vic cho said his team wants to see what the actual underlying community transfer is via mass testing before lifting restrictions. It’s not illogical or paranoid to want to get the best data before making decisions.. It’s hardly a big ask another week or so.. Another outbreak and second lockdown will destroy public confidence and completely fuck the economy.. It would be irresponsible to rush changes when there is still unknown level of community transfer..
Btw I have 2 kids at home, both of us are working from home, everyone is at their wits end. It’s fucked, we pretty much have to home school the youngest on top of everything..
This ^^ plus we don't know the outcome of any decisions until two weeks after they're made

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Sadly there is no cure for stupid as we have seen in multiple places. I am first to criticise goverments but all of them here are doing ok.

Yep, would love to be back doing track days, meeting mates for lunches, hitting a restaurant or three but happier not to be infected.

The reports of consequential and side effects are pretty fucking scary.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Sadly there is no cure for stupid as we have seen in multiple places. I am first to criticise goverments but all of them here are doing ok.

Yep, would love to be back doing track days, meeting mates for lunches, hitting a restaurant or three but happier not to be infected.

The reports of consequential and side effects are pretty fucking scary.
As far as I know it's a unique case in that only one has been reported so far but this heart rupture one was pretty scary in that it shows just how much we don't yet understand.
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-death-ruputured-heart.html

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It may have been discussed prior, but there's also reports surfacing from the UK that children are beginning to show symptoms.
I understand that people are getting tired of being at home and want their freedom back, but you'd hope erring on the side of caution wins

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As far as I know it's a unique case in that only one has been reported so far but this heart rupture one was pretty scary in that it shows just how much we don't yet understand.
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-death-ruputured-heart.html
Original SARS virus left long term lung damage in those who needed ventilation along with organ damage. Appears to be the same with sars-cov2, from my interpretation you need to get a bad dose of it and need hosptial care to have longterm issues, it’s not from mild cases. I pity the front line workers..

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It still boggles the mind that America allowed this to happen. It is a sick joke that he's not held accountable for his actions and in this case, absurd suggestions

nathanm

Eats Squid
It still boggles the mind that America allowed this to happen. It is a sick joke that he's not held accountable for his actions and in this case, absurd suggestions
Considering they're such a litigious society I don't understand why he or the government isnt' getting continously sued for such advice. After all they're the country where people sue McDonalds for getting fat.