COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Exactly who are you to tell people if and with what they get vaccinated? That's scotty from marketings job.

And you know what they say about assumptions, they make you look like a wanker on the internet.

If you feel so passion about vaccinations and telling people what to do how about you get a soapbox and stand on a corner and shout at everyone who doesn't agree with you. Let me know how that works out for you.
Sweet, if my assumptions are incorrect you've signed up for Pfizer. Good for you, hope the wait is not too long.

As for the soapbox on the corner, only the super crazy anti vaxxer 5G crowd does stuff like that and they get largely ignored so I'm sure it would go fine.

soon enough this will not be a request , or a suggestion
The health mincer or whoever he was on Q&A last night saying "they can get the vaccination if they want to" just jarred me every time.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
There was a period up here where there were no open slots for Pfizer but I think they're opening up again now.

I was one of the first to be invited (maybe because of my previous health issues?) so I'm all done.

But if I wasn't vaccinated, I'd be hesitant to take AZ over Pfizer.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Is there a version in english?

Just jesting although not having a science background, I did have a fair bit of trouble following a lot of it.

I'm not doubting the science behind the testing nor the ability of the virus to thrive in effluent but you've got to admit there have been a hell of a lot of cases where COVID-19 has been detected in wastewater with no reported cases before or after. This seems at odds with the reported infection rates etc.

As this paper is relatively old, I'd be interested to know if they can diagnose the particular strains of COVID when it's found in wastewater. Do we know if the COVID detected in Byron Bay's waste water is the Delta variant? Also as it's been established that animals can be rife with coronaviruses, is there the possibility that viral contamination could have come from the introduction of animal faeces into the sewerage system (e.g people flushing pet waste, animals (particularly rodents) shitting in the sewers, well-trained cats using the dunny) ?

Incidentally, I think the existence of the virus in Byron's sewage might provide us with a golden scientific opportunity.

As we know, Byron Bay is Australia's capital when it comes to freaky wellness practices. This means they have an overabundance of quack voodoo clinics offering Colonic Irrigation. The geography of the area also means that it's very easy to seal off from the rest of the country.

I propose we establish a strict cordon around the town, deliberately introduce COVID and then use these clinics to get a closer understanding of the virus' relationship with human waste!
Yeah... scientific paper are not easy to read. Some are, but most aren't.

In theory, yes it is possible to establish what strain of covid in the wastewater as it's already possible to isolate the RNA of the virus from it. All that is required is sequencing those RNA. However, this is reliant on them getting enough virus copy to properly isolate the RNA and thereafter sequence it. However, I'm no biologist, I only know few things about it. So any biologist should be able to better confirm that this is true.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
You have a greater chance of being struck by lightning (1 in 1.6m) here in Australia than dying from an AZ vaccine. I got my first AZ shot a couple of weeks before the recommended age changed to 60+, oh well, I'm still keeping my booking for the second shot.

I'm all for choice, do whatever you want, I just can't buy the blood clot excuse for not getting AZ if you have no other underlying issues. You have a greater chance of dying from many other things every day of your life

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
You guys are so lucky to be an island off a bigger island. Like @Scotty T said above, us Canberrans are crapping our pants over our proximity to Gladys' 'Golden Standard' approach. Instead of building stage 2 of the Light Rail we should start digging a moat.

I also want to re-iterate what a terrible place Canberra is. No one should come here ever, for any reason. It's sooo boring and there's nothing to do.
Hey!!! Stop stealing our selling point. SA is the pits, and nobody should ever come here. We've got nothing to compete with all you other glamorous states and territories. Stay away..... please.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Funny thing that...while I'm only almost 43, I have a job classed as essential and frontline (no no...not the one opening beers for yokels! And certainly not my classification of things) which allowed me (apparently) fast tracked access to vaccination through a local health care provider. I made my reservation about a week ago and the earliest option was 9 Aug. How long is/has everyone else been on a queue for their first dose? A bunch of my friends with no access to (supposed) fast tacking are almost ready for their second inoculation!
I booked online on a Wednesday morning and was stabbed lunchtime Friday with a Pfizer. Going back in two weeks for the next one. As an over 50, I was offered Pfizer first by NSW Health but also presented with the AZ option. M'lady got fastracked as an emergency worker (otherwise too young) in late June, booked online on a Friday for the following Tuesday. Got her second shot Tuesday before last. Only wrinkle is that we each had to do a 300km roundtrip to Dubbo.

rockmoose

Ahem...the premier state please.

Funny thing that...while I'm only almost 43, I have a job classed as essential and frontline (no no...not the one opening beers for yokels! And certainly not my classification of things) which allowed me (apparently) fast tracked access to vaccination through a local health care provider. I made my reservation about a week ago and the earliest option was 9 Aug. How long is/has everyone else been on a queue for their first dose? A bunch of my friends with no access to (supposed) fast tacking are almost ready for their second inoculation!

Also 2 things I am sick of hearing from the anti-vax camp:
  • there's been so many more vaccine deaths than the media are reporting.
  • the covid death toll is overinflated because if someone has covid and they die from something else, it is recorded as a covid death.

Canberrans? I thought you were called ACTors?
Mine was 9 days. Could have been 6, but that didn't fit in with my work schedule. I also picked last possible stabbing time for the day, for my first, and booked the first stabbing of the day, for my second.

I chose pfiiiiiizer, because it is safer, and it is more effective.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I do wish the mass hysteria here carried over to the climate thread. ATM I’m the only hysterical one over there.
I was thinking whether corona virus could (should) be used as a circuit breaker to society so that we can actually live within our means (financially and environmentally). I keep seeing things about people talking about when can we go back to the way things were. So many people are realising that they don't need to fly around the world, luxury xyz, big fancy building for an office etc. There is so much keeping up with the Jones' that happens on a macro level that we really don't need. Why does everything need to be constant growth all the time and why are people so focused on getting back to that like it is the gold standard of society?

Edit: Fixed typos due to phone, better go buy a new phone

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Scomo speaking live now.

Fucken hell, he may as well get it over with and marry Gladys, talking about how hard the lockdown in Sydney is
It is hard though! It is hardly working. It is hard to enforce. It is hard to imagine why it took so long to start it. It is hard to see when it will end. It is hard to imagine her retaining leadership. It is hard.

stirk

Burner
Scomo speaking live now.

Fucken hell, he may as well get it over with and marry Gladys, talking about how hard the lockdown in Sydney is
And Gladys is publically calling on other states to hand over their vials to combat the delta in NSW but I doubt there are the trained people and computers and scanners etc to deliver the extra doses. And the other states need to get those does to their people too.

Our Pollies go public with their problems, I expect leaders, real leaders to go public with already agreed solutions. Our premiers sound like a bunch of kids having a whinge in public, it's embarrassing for them.

I miss my snitty at the pub!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
You guys are so lucky to be an island off a bigger island. Like @Scotty T said above, us Canberrans are crapping our pants over our proximity to Gladys' 'Golden Standard' approach. Instead of building stage 2 of the Light Rail we should start digging a moat.

I also want to re-iterate what a terrible place Canberra is. No one should come here ever, for any reason. It's sooo boring and there's nothing to do.
The FiL has a significant birthday in a few weeks, might pop down for a party, Ill bring the Covid bike as well so if anyone's keen for a coffee in town then onto a lap or two of Stromlo then a cheeky pint or two at the Handlebar and then maybe then onto Bentspoke hit me up.

Hey!!! Stop stealing our selling point. SA is the pits, and nobody should ever come here. We've got nothing to compete with all you other glamorous states and territories. Stay away..... please.

My SiL lives down there so could pop over there as well if you want...I don't mind her though so might not be a great plan.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The FiL has a significant birthday in a few weeks, might pop down for a party, Ill bring the Covid bike as well so if anyone's keen for a coffee in town then onto a lap or two of Stromlo then a cheeky pint or two at the Handlebar and then maybe then onto Bentspoke hit me up.
Can I tag along? Could be a good couple of days on tinder.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Can I tag along? Could be a good couple of days on tinder.
1 - Yeah sure, plenty of space on the bike racks, two kids in the car as well but they don't get it and anyway the rules don't really apply to us.
2 - You're on your own there big fella.

rockmoose

And Gladys is publically calling on other states to hand over their vials to combat the delta in NSW but I doubt there are the trained people and computers and scanners etc to deliver the extra doses. And the other states need to get those does to their people too.

Our Pollies go public with their problems, I expect leaders, real leaders to go public with already agreed solutions. Our premiers sound like a bunch of kids having a whinge in public, it's embarrassing for them.

I miss my snitty at the pub!
What? Give her all our doses so she can hand them all out in her electorate?

Fuck you Gladys, with a hot iron poker.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
After my job yesterday digging out the soaked floor of the bike dungeon, went down at lunchtime today and the water was up to the level of the mud that was removed, must have been a couple of hundred litres... now I know why it stays wet for months.

So I had a bit of a think and a bit of online research and deemed it an emergency to go to Bunnings and get a submersible pump to get rid of the water, it was basically a flood, though I caused it.

FFS got there to a 1/2 full carpark - there was people walking around buying plants, one girl in ugg boots with a lamp shade in her hands, couples browsing paint colour charts...

Fuckers getting shit for DIY projects all over the place :mad:

You are required to stay at home, except for the following reasons:

If you leave home you must wear a mask (unless you are outdoors and able to comply with physical distancing requirements).

rockmoose

Pretty sure her electorate is nowhere near fucking SW Sydney, I reckon there would be a riot if they all got distributed around Northbridge...
That's exactly where most have gone.

Bring on the riot.