COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This whole we are going to let it rip once we get adults to 70% (or whatever) is bullshit. Kids are getting Delta and if we follow overseas experience our kids are in for a rough time. FFS it used to be the kids were vaccinated first... I am old enough to have had the jabs for TB etc etc and I went to school with a kid who got and survived polio. This is no joke.

We need a dalek meme 'vaccinate!" "vaccinate!"

Dun!!!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
This whole we are going to let it rip once we get adults to 70% (or whatever) is bullshit. Kids are getting Delta and if we follow overseas experience our kids are in for a rough time. FFS it used to be the kids were vaccinated first... I am old enough to have had the jabs for TB etc etc and I went to school with a kid who got and survived polio. This is no joke.
Cant help but think if COVID symptoms were more like Polio or Tetanus we wouldn't have any of these anti-vaxx fools roaming around fucking it up for everyone else.

Switch

huskier headed gent
7yr old daughter has underlying health conditions so as soon as they open up her age bracket she will be front of the queue and our stress levels will reduce somewhat. A point that is not being made well with kids, is that they are now carriers and it's their classmates that we are helping to protect. We need a level of herd immunity to protect those who are medically unable to get a vaccine and unfortunately are not in a lucky enough position to let natural selection sort out the selfish chunts.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This whole we are going to let it rip once we get adults to 70% (or whatever) is bullshit.

Look I can appreciate everyone's concerns and I really don't wish anyone ill with this, but...profits man! And now that my ability to go on a holiday is directly linked to profits, I have come to under just how important those profits are. The all mighty rev Joyce shall lead us out of this dismay and into other lands! I plan to do my bit for the country...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I was kind of hoping that they'd vax kids at school, but given that wont happen until after school holidays min as they are still 'remote learning' and there has been no chatter about them doing it I'll prob take my eldest in shortly.
Our schools closed for a short spell of 4-5 weeks here last year in March/April and that was it. We have had 3 small outbreaks since then with lockdowns that lasted 3 days, 5 days and 7 days.

We are certainly not feeling the urgency that is expressed in some of the replies here.

ozzybmx

The second mrna shot is when the majority of small adverse reactions happen.. Seems the UK is trying to find a balance until more data comes in..
Part of the floated roll out for 12-15's including 16-17's is that anyone with an underlying health issues is to get both Pfizers.

ozzybmx

Just shows the urgency in the Eastern States vs those who don't have it in the community.

I can book both my boys in for Pfizer1 at 6pm tomorrow at the same clinic that I got both of mine done at, 1.5km from home.
They do Mon, Wed and Thur at 6pm only. So that's next available appointment.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
So I got a text yesterday that I was considdered a close contact of a confirmed case after attending Coles for grocery shopping.

Today went to get a test. Got turn around around from the local drive through because they can't have more than 10 cars queued (shit drive through location). Drive to another one as per the website, didn't exist. Litterally nothing there. Drove some more to another and waited for an hour and a half. Finally done.

The only positive from this is the new swabs can be barely felt. I litterally asked the lady testing me "is it in yet?". If she had coffee, she'd have spat it out on her visor.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
We are certainly not feeling the urgency that is expressed in some of the replies here.
The problem you will likely encounter is "if" the Vid (as you call it) jumps the border and infections start occuring out in the community in SA, it'll be you and every other parent in the state trying to all book their kids in all at the same time. NSW and Vic are getting the lions share of vaccines at the moment, and it seems the majority of people are still talking about having to wait until October/November for an vaccination appointment for their youngins'. We've seen it here, I'm sure it's been the same in NSW - everyone's all "Ah, she'll be right..." until it's on your doorstep, you're shitting bricks you're going to catch it and there's no vaccines available for weeks/months.

To play devil's advocate - if you're confident your boys are fit and healthy, then you shouldn't really have any concern about them to get the vaccine, correct? The medical position is the health risks of COVID far outweigh the risks of the vaccines, so it seems at odds to say your boys will probably be fine if they don't get the vaccine but you're worried about the risks of the vaccine.

Pretty clear IMO - just get 'em done.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"is it in yet?".
how long have you been waiting to be on the other side of that question?
had to get a test yesterday ahead of going for a scope on thursday. it barely tickled compared to what they used to do

Just shows the urgency in the Eastern States vs those who don't have it in the community.
less than 3 months ago sydney had lived almost entirely normally for a year, it wasnt considered an issue. not hard to see why other places it hasn't kicked off yet might feel that way

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Canberra lockdown is being extended for another whole month... Yikes.

Guess I'll get more familiar with Majura Pines than expected!
I was hopeful that we'd get it under control quickly in Canberra. Now I'm getting to the stage that I'm peeved that my business is effectively shut down while it looks like construction and fast food businesses are open and are the continuing sources of transmission in Canberra.

Also, an audit yesterday of 10 open businesses (type not mentioned) had 8 of them failing to comply with the rules.

Basically, let's shut it all down. Do it properly or not at all. I can't see how construction is essential or fast food. If they can't do the right thing then shut them down. They truly are ruining it for the rest of us. Imagine if this keeps dragging on indefinitely all because we "need" to keep pandering to some influential but really non-essential businesses.

ozzybmx

Pretty clear IMO - just get 'em done.
It is a clear resounding get err done.

That is why I asked opinions here. Aus was not doing healthy U16s, UK was not doing healthy U16's and I haven't read into why they were not doing it apart from the original cries of:

'there is more risk vaccinating healthy teenagers than what covid poses'

'children were at such a low risk from the virus that jabs would offer only a marginal benefit'

So why the change of tune in both countries ?

Then there is the fact that our lives apart from travel, check-in's and masks is relatively normal. Our pubs and restaurants are open, gyms and hairdressers, our vid testing clinics are empty... there is no panic here.

Anyhow, its easy to get jabbed in a non vid state with zero panic or urgency.

Could have got the 6th of October only thats plonk in the middle of the second week of school hols and we are away.

moorey

call me Mia
It is a clear resounding get err done.

That is why I asked opinions here. Aus was not doing healthy U16s, UK was not doing healthy U16's and I haven't read into why they were not doing it apart from the original cries of:

'there is more risk vaccinating healthy teenagers than what covid poses'

'children were at such a low risk from the virus that jabs would offer only a marginal benefit'

So why the change of tune in both countries ?

Then there is the fact that our lives apart from travel, check-in's and masks is relatively normal. Our pubs and restaurants are open, gyms and hairdressers, our vid testing clinics are empty... there is no panic here.

Anyhow, its easy to get jabbed in a non vid state with zero panic or urgency.

Could have got the 6th of October only thats plonk in the middle of the second week of school hols and we are away.

View attachment 380224
Yoink!