COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

treble

Likes Dirt
I regularly use Maccas and BK toilets. I haven’t eaten at either for 30 years.
This one wouldn't unlock the toilets unless I bought something, probably because there were people sleeping in their cars outside. The facilities ended up being much nicer than the coffee

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I regularly use Maccas and BK toilets. I haven’t eaten at either for 30 years.
I'm a little partial to a penny pinching cheese burger for a snack...

So as I understand things the plan is for NSW to let this shit rip once we hit 70% vaccination, full Boris style. At the same time there appears to be a bit of a flattening out of daily case numbers. Sure this may be in part due to people not bothering to test. While I am eager for lockdown to end and freedoms to come would it not be a prime opportunity to suck it up for a few more weeks and make a push for better control of the outbreak while taking full advantage of the power of these vaccines rater than letting it rip and pushing through a sizeable surge of infections? I am assuming that once it's let loose there will be a huge drop off in testing, isolating, and general safety among the population.

How does the progress of NSW and Vic through the current outbreak track against the process of last year's?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think I've been misunderstood. I never suggested that yesterday and todays mob behavior was somehow justified by tea rooms being taken away. its my understanding that the riots were over mandated vaccination and various other conspiracy theories, not even related to tea rooms. But I cant be sure, I wasn't there and I don't know anyone who was. If people WERE using it as justification for such behavior then they are even bigger idiots.

Besides, the tea room issue was solved on Friday night when the unions decided we would not take any breaks and leave work early until a better arrangement could be found. I was simply trying to share some insider perspective to people who say "its just a tea room, big deal"

My job puts me on sites running the gamut from very large union sites to very small domestic sites. I can assure you site amenities are not part of "each and every award and agreement across the country." Recently I had top go to Maccas and buy the worst coffee I've ever attempted to drink just to have access to a toilet
Since there are multiple off topic posts I will go further. On any construction site an award applies and in that award it will cover amenities. Number per hole, m2 per person etc. Just because you or your boss doesn't follow that doesn't mean that it isn't the case. I gather you are something like a refrigeration mechanic who goes to various sites to do a job and then leave. Such a role does not diminish the responsibility to comply with the award or the site project agreement. When we dragged diesel fitters or reps in for short term work they were given space in a crib hut and all the facilities were made available, sometimes on the job site sometimes in the office. No doubt there are plenty who don't bother for whatever reason still doesn't remove the obligation to comply with state or federal awards.

The CFMEU is walking a fine line between acknowledging that vaccination is a good thing and they support that to there should be no mandatory vaccinations and that is a person's decision, just like abortion or gay marriage...

Anyway as I said what fucking ever.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
please be sure to differentiate between the union organizations and a bunch of lunatic union members (and others taking advantage).
As a union member (ETU) I have never received any advice other than to get vaccinated and follow the rules in order to stay working.
According to the ABS apparently only 1 in 10 construction workers are actually union members these days and the CFMEU’s presence is only really found on the big sites in Melbourne CBD.
It’s been a while since I worked on any building sites in Melbourne but I remember CFMEU dues being particularly high albeit with the option of paying them weekly or fortnightly, so that if you weren’t on a union site and not getting the mad wages, they were happy for you to stop paying the dues.

The angry mob in Melbourne today appears to be largely drawn from the more general section of the tradie population, egged on by the fuckwit cultists in the anti-vax movement.

treble

Likes Dirt
Since there are multiple off topic posts I will go further. On any construction site an award applies and in that award it will cover amenities. Number per hole, m2 per person etc. Just because you or your boss doesn't follow that doesn't mean that it isn't the case. I gather you are something like a refrigeration mechanic who goes to various sites to do a job and then leave. Such a role does not diminish the responsibility to comply with the award or the site project agreement. When we dragged diesel fitters or reps in for short term work they were given space in a crib hut and all the facilities were made available, sometimes on the job site sometimes in the office. No doubt there are plenty who don't bother for whatever reason still doesn't remove the obligation to comply with state or federal awards.

The CFMEU is walking a fine line between acknowledging that vaccination is a good thing and they support that to there should be no mandatory vaccinations and that is a person's decision, just like abortion or gay marriage...

Anyway as I said what fucking ever.
OK, last off topic from me, promise.
You're right, awards apply to all workplaces. My statement should have been phrased:
appropriate site amenities are rarely available on commercial sites across the country unless they are larger or have a union presence - in my experience
I am not a refrigeration mechanic, but I do spend less time on sites than most other trades. I never suggested I nor anyone I work with doesn't comply with award requirements. My position and the EBA I work under require responsibilities far above those laid out in an award. But as you say, on some sites the builder in charge just doesn't bother. Which is the reason why unions are so hesitant to give up tea rooms on sites where they actually have them. This is the point I was making.

I'm not a member of the CFMEU and honestly have as little to do with them as possible. I don't support their position.
None of what I have said refers to vaccination. But for the record, I am vaccinated. Everyone I work with is either vaccinated or has a booking.
And while I am generally uncomfortable with things being mandated, the needs of the greater good - specifically children who are too young to be vaccinated and the otherwise vulnerable - outweighs the individual right of choice in this situation - in my opinion.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why is the virus so easily transmitted on constructions sites? Are they all getting it on in those tea rooms ? Sounds like brothels have better covid plans.
If you happen to walk past a construction site you need to remind them of the covid rules, to put their shirts back on and that only the bible has the answers to their temptation.

On a more serious note why was the riot police not in full swing breaking up these protest. That would have been awesome to watch, but sadly there is different levels of police reaction depending on the group.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I don't believe many of the rioters yesterday were construction workers. Not by the end anyway. No self-respecting construction worker would be celebrating on the Westgate Bridge, that's like throwing a party in a cemetery.

Mind you, these c***s are probably so fucked up by what they absorb third hand via FB / Telegram they probably think the bridge collapse was a conspiracy.