COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

moorey

call me Mia
Good news is her seat has fallen victim to some pretty unfriendly redistricting so she'll probably lose her seat in the mid-terms. One less nutjob.
I wish I was as confident as you.
If Trump isn’t dead or undeniably incoherent (even to MAGA eyes) I can see him absolutely running in 2022, and enough unscrupulous shenanigans within the RNC to make him more than a threat. 12 months ago, I’d never have thought this…

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I wish I was as confident as you.
If Trump isn’t dead or undeniably incoherent (even to MAGA eyes) I can see him absolutely running in 2022, and enough unscrupulous shenanigans within the RNC to make him more than a threat. 12 months ago, I’d never have thought this…
2022?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Mid-terms. Democrats will most likely lose the house (almost a certainly given natural redistricting) but maaay keep the Senate (or even increase their margin.

Agreed @moorey, much less confident than I was a few months ago given how things are going, but General Miley is about to testify to congress on how Trump tried to start several wars (paraphrasing) in his last few weeks in office which probably won't help his image to anyone who isn't a certified RWNJ.

We should also probably shift this to the other thread...

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski

In the past few weeks, numbers have increased in Victoria largely because of household-to-household contact.

Simply put, it is because people are not abiding by the rules.

Mixed feelings about this. Several weeks ago I would've been all angry about people disobeying clear instructions, but now.... meh.
I'm still pissy, but there's an acceptance about it now. These assholes have screwed us all over, and they're passing on the blame, but me sitting here getting red in the face isn't making anything better.

I'll just keep doing what I'm supposed to and keep getting the family vaxxed, then when the shit hits the fan at least we're as protected as we can be and the result isn't likely to have been massively different

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
No excuse - people are tired and you can’t suppress people for ever - also they see the protests and demonstrations and think we are fucked anyway why should I do the right thing.

I’m always amazed at how many people use the fear of missing out excuse - “they didn’t so why should I”

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yes, sometimes I think we should just rip off the bandaid, and let it all go, and let all the antivaxers get covid and maybe that will shut them up.
Hospital system clogging up? Only treat vaccinated covid patients and if they are not, they must publicly denounce their antivax stance.
It won't happen, but you'll find the most staunch antivaxers are the ones that have never had covid.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'm still abiding by all the rules (except when I occasionally forget to check in) - my point is I just CBF even getting angry about it anymore. Only thing I can muster the energy to be pissed about is anti-vaxxers getting sick with COVID and our tax dollars paying for their wellbeing in hospital.
And protests. Fuck that is some next level dumb

LPG

likes thicc birds
There was a clear goal a while ago to get numbers back to 0. This was a clear motivation for any sane person to do the right thing and isolate as much as possible. Now the hore has well and truly bolted and we are learning to live with it without overloading the hospitals if necessary. You still want to keep safe but now it's not about working together as a community to defeat covid. Little risks are not as big a deal anymore and it's a slippery slope.

Throw that in with the visibility of how badly the goverment bungled it, shit/ununified messaging and the lockdown fatigue and people are caring much less. The NSW and federal government with their inadequate initial lockdown, shit quarantine/vax plan fucked it for the rest making it hard for people to care anymore. We've been working for a business to keep it alive but now we know it is going bankrupt, you don't put the same sort of effort into the last tasks it shuts down now that you know it has failed.

I always wonder if the lax nsw lockdowns were secretly trying to get things bad enough tho try and let it spread so that we reopen to the world. I wouldn't be surprised if some politicians mate or the IPA was in the pollies ears to get tourism and airline industries running again(for personal interest of course). Surely the NSW Goverment werent delusional enough to think that their initial response was going to work?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Woohoo, go Victoria!!!

Oh, competition, eh.....

NSW won't be letting this lie down unchallenged. Game on.

Surely there must be an unmasked anti-something protest somewhere here ready to kick on any minute now.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What bothers me is that all the political responses to date which indicate opening up seem to be predicated on what is happening in the major cities and getting vaccination rates to some hypothetical number that modelling suggests will allow the health system to cope. Major towns and cities are not the issue (or at least no longer the issue*) that is critical though I do argue that ignoring the under 16s because they will be "fine" is also short sighted. The remote and small communities are where an uncontrollable outbreak is going to see many many deaths and hospitals and care overloaded. Getting to, say, 80% of NSW >16 overall and opening the gates is not going to address either of these things. Sure the anti vaxxers / anti whatever crowd are going to be over represented in requiring care and that in turn means elective and less critical care suffers for vax, un or anti alike. You cannot turn the antivax morons away... I am also wondering who will enforce them and how the lockdown rules will be applied to the unvaxxed. Front line workers are not the police or military and it is not incumbent on them to prohibit service to the un and anti, it is against our laws to ask for confirmation of vax status or medical exemption so people will just fucking lie! What a fucked up system. No scenario works.

I was having a discussion with friends the other day (all of us are double 5g'd) and mostly the opinion is get as many people vaccinated who will and let her rip. Much discussion about how we (Qld) are applying a 2020 solution to a 2021 problem, though I didn't get any advice on what the difference was since delta is more contagious than the original superseded virus.

That people is how variant whatever greek letter you choose gets born and that opens up the possibility that all the vaccines delivered to date are futile and we end up with no systems able to cope.

'tis fucked all round.

* reporting of Vic situation notwithstanding

ualf

Likes Dirt
<snip>

I always wonder if the lax nsw lockdowns were secretly trying to get things bad enough tho try and let it spread so that we reopen to the world. I

<snip>
Do not attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
What bothers me is that all the political responses to date which indicate opening up seem to be predicated on what is happening in the major cities and getting vaccination rates to some hypothetical number that modelling suggests will allow the health system to cope. Major towns and cities are not the issue (or at least no longer the issue*) that is critical though I do argue that ignoring the under 16s because they will be "fine" is also short sighted. The remote and small communities are where an uncontrollable outbreak is going to see many many deaths and hospitals and care overloaded. Getting to, say, 80% of NSW >16 overall and opening the gates is not going to address either of these things. Sure the anti vaxxers / anti whatever crowd are going to be over represented in requiring care and that in turn means elective and less critical care suffers for vax, un or anti alike. You cannot turn the antivax morons away... I am also wondering who will enforce them and how the lockdown rules will be applied to the unvaxxed. Front line workers are not the police or military and it is not incumbent on them to prohibit service to the un and anti, it is against our laws to ask for confirmation of vax status or medical exemption so people will just fucking lie! What a fucked up system. No scenario works.

I was having a discussion with friends the other day (all of us are double 5g'd) and mostly the opinion is get as many people vaccinated who will and let her rip. Much discussion about how we (Qld) are applying a 2020 solution to a 2021 problem, though I didn't get any advice on what the difference was since delta is more contagious than the original superseded virus.

That people is how variant whatever greek letter you choose gets born and that opens up the possibility that all the vaccines delivered to date are futile and we end up with no systems able to cope.

'tis fucked all round.

* reporting of Vic situation notwithstanding
If society breaks down, you’ll find me the at the Porsche dealership with the smashed front window and the GT3 warming up