COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I heard radio news today saying the Astrazeneca vaccine being pushed here has only just received recognition for travel to Europe. The story wasn't elaborated on, but I did find it funny how hard this vaccine was pushed here and that international travel was a key leverage tool in the promotion of being vaccinated.
Being pushed to the 60+ cohort untill recently..... Real world data coming in has the AZ jab performing better over the long haul than the Pfizer cool aide.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
He’s been off free to race all over the world for the last 5 months while most of Aus has been in lockdown, and it really just feels like a disguised sook about now having to do a short isolation like normies. IMHO.
Only about as disguised as Clarke Kent's glasses...

If he doesn't want to isolate (which I can relate to) I wonder why he either didn't just stay overseas another couple of weeks until shit kicks open here (it's been well publicised)? Or volunteer for the at home trial? Which is maybe not open to him.

Just read this article and it says US cases are about 110k and UK 35k per day. I wonder if I can holiday in both before Christmas?

Being pushed to the 60+ cohort untill recently..... Real world data coming in has the AZ jab performing better over the long haul than the Pfizer cool aid
e.

Interestingly old people are a significant % of our tourism exports. But also over the last couple of months with our rush to vaccinate exceeding the supply, astra was widely delivered. I'm not worried about more or less or more effectiveness of them (it's not like one is 72% and the others 97% effective), just amused by the government's (once again) wilful misinformation.

• Sad
Reactions: PJO

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
It’s not a disguised anything @moorey. Deano’s shown a number of times now that he’s prone to seeking to present his susceptibility to misinformation as intellectualism. His rant about government mandating healthy diets over vaccination made that pretty clear.

He considers himself a counter culturalist and his instinct clearly is to buck the “mainstream”, he’s just unfortunately also not smart enough to be critical about it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sigh. Suspicion confirmed.
View attachment 381140
Having spent 2 weeks alone in a box...by the end of it I felt more like living, not less. Those last few days as it wound down I was so freaking pumped to be getting out and set loose on the jewel crown of culture and excitement that is Perth.

I'm not prone to depressive bouts though, so I may not be a good test subject. I am sure plenty of people have suffered adverse mental health while in quarantine or lockdown and wish them all good health and well being.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
just amused by the government's (once again) wilful misinformation.
About 35 seconds of Hamboing shows that it was never an issue with AZ but that they progressively approved all variants of the AZ vax - because we make our own here through CSL rather than importing from UK/EU, it had to be independently approved. Doesn’t seem like something that was ever really in doubt.

Similar that it took a bit of time for the US to recognise AZ for people entering because it hasn’t been approved for use there yet (and I guess probably won’t be because the three they have approved - Pfiz, Moderna and J&J - are all US vax).

moorey

call me Mia
Having spent 2 weeks alone in a box...by the end of it I felt more like living, not less. Those last few days as it wound down I was so freaking pumped to be getting out and set loose on the jewel crown of culture and excitement that is Perth.

I'm not prone to depressive bouts though, so I may not be a good test subject. I am sure plenty of people have suffered adverse mental health while in quarantine or lockdown and wish them all good health and well being.
Mental health…absolutely. The numbers support that.
He is addressing suicide rates though. And has NFI.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What actual misinformation are you referring to?
Just their regular message of "get vaccinated and you will be allowed to travel overseas..." which (closed boarders aside) wasn't actually the true as they were saying it. We've all experienced radio news, it's about 2 sentences per "story" so there wasn't much information delivered - astra was not recognised as a vaccine in Europe, but as of a few days ago it is.

A little bit of googling isn't too helpful as I can find a lot of information about coming to Australia, but not much about leaving here that is recent. But this link from a few months back seems to imply the issue is a bit of minor technical thing over what companies are registered where and so on...

https://www.traveller.com.au/astraz...rope-and-us-allow-australians-to-enter-h1xavq

Or of you wish...ummm don't listen to big pharma, they just want to convert you to a human Tesla coil to facilitate global expansion of the intergalactic fuel web...or something like that.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
About 35 seconds of Hamboing shows that it was never an issue with AZ but that they progressively approved all variants of the AZ vax - because we make our own here through CSL rather than importing from UK/EU, it had to be independently approved. Doesn’t seem like something that was ever really in doubt.

Similar that it took a bit of time for the US to recognise AZ for people entering because it hasn’t been approved for use there yet (and I guess probably won’t be because the three they have approved - Pfiz, Moderna and J&J - are all US vax).
Yes. But aliens...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
And neither do I. Just my own research maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

It still leaves me wondering why rush home? If it's going to be a big deal why not just delay/avoid quarantine and a lot of restrictions once out of it until later?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I heard radio news today saying the Astrazeneca vaccine being pushed here has only just received recognition for travel to Europe. The story wasn't elaborated on, but I did find it funny how hard this vaccine was pushed here and that international travel was a key leverage tool in the promotion of being vaccinated.

Didn't the entire UK get vaccinated with AZ?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
It still leaves me wondering why rush home? If it's going to be a big deal why not just delay/avoid quarantine and a lot of restrictions once out of it until later?
I do feel for him in this case. He ended up having to get from EU to NZ and then got on a private charter with some others to get into Aus because of canceled commercial flights. A week later and ScoMo announces border reopening in November. Would have been easy to spend an extra month if you knew that’s all it was going to be.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Didn't the entire UK get vaccinated with AZ?
No idea...but if they did, it was probably made there not here this the technicality. Or maybe the EU is really keen to say fuck off(!) to the UK?

I do feel for him in this case. He ended up having to get from EU to NZ and then got on a private charter with some others to get into Aus because of canceled commercial flights. A week later and ScoMo announces border reopening in November. Would have been easy to spend an extra month if you knew that’s all it was going to be.
Would definitely suck balls. They've been talking the open borders game for a few weeks now, but Nov is certainly a bit sooner than their original theorising.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The suicide rate drop is certainly an interesting one. Been pondering that recently.

Certainly with the added stress, widespread job losses and the toll of isolation and loneliness you’d expect it to go up - Personally, I sank into a seriously bad depression last year after being made redundant with closed interstate borders and reduced manning levels at sites within VIC making it seem unlikely I’d find work again any time soon. The lack of any emotional support at home (I don’t even have a fucking pet) and not being able to rely on the support of friends during lockdown really bit hard. Fortunately I went and got professional help and sorted myself out but it could so easily have gone the other way (tbh it came pretty close on a couple of occasions)

But then for a lot of people maybe the enormity of it all, the stress of the constant changes and the drama of losing work actually helps? Fight or flight instincts kicking in over the general malaise, apathy etc. which are often a driving force of depressive behaviour?

Another thing worth pondering is that have the suicide numbers merely shifted (albeit while reducing a bit as well?) Bullying and peer pressure is a big factor in teen suicide and is something that often carries through to adulthood with workplace bullying and social anxiety being big factors. Have closed schools/working from home and/or not having the stress of having to deal with people socially actually helped save a lot of at risk people while unfortunately leading to the deaths of others?

I’m just spit-balling here but it is a weird set of circumstances, all things considered.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Just for a counter perspective, I am one who does suffer depressive bouts, and the last however fucking long it's been has been a bloody hard ride. Pretty much all of my friend base lives outside the lockdown distance limits, so outside work and going to the shops, I'm pretty much in isolation, and the most bright-spirited person is going get worn down by not seeing anyone for weeks on end.... Already at a low ebb, at the announcement of yet another, this time apparently endless lockdown a few weeks back, I damn near broke, and it took a huge effort to not curl up in a corner of the workshop & cry.

In basically a cry for help, I took the rather drastic step of befriending one of the guys from my local Dan's. Even though I'm not naturally very sociable, finding someone local to hang out & talk shit with on occasion has helped get me back on an even(ish) keel.

moorey

call me Mia
The suicide rate drop is certainly an interesting one. Been pondering that recently.

Certainly with the added stress, widespread job losses and the toll of isolation and loneliness you’d expect it to go up - Personally, I sank into a seriously bad depression last year after being made redundant with closed interstate borders and reduced manning levels at sites within VIC making it seem unlikely I’d find work again any time soon. The lack of any emotional support at home (I don’t even have a fucking pet) and not being able to rely on the support of friends during lockdown really bit hard. Fortunately I went and got professional help and sorted myself out but it could so easily have gone the other way (tbh it came pretty close on a couple of occasions)

But then for a lot of people maybe the enormity of it all, the stress of the constant changes and the drama of losing work actually helps? Fight or flight instincts kicking in over the general malaise, apathy etc. which are often a driving force of depressive behaviour?

Another thing worth pondering is that have the suicide numbers merely shifted (albeit while reducing a bit as well?) Bullying and peer pressure is a big factor in teen suicide and is something that often carries through to adulthood with workplace bullying and social anxiety being big factors. Have closed schools/working from home and/or not having the stress of having to deal with people socially actually helped save a lot of at risk people while unfortunately leading to the deaths of others?

I’m just spit-balling here but it is a weird set of circumstances, all things considered.
It is. You could be right. I don’t know. As my conversation with Dean progressed, it became clear he’s more pissed about having to spend 14 days in quarantine. He’s just been paid to party and ride OS for the last 5 months, so to me, it just comes off as entitled and insensitive to what most of his fans are dealing with. He then shifted it to more people dying from suicide than Covid, and IMHO, that’s a ridiculous point in this context.
That’s my take on his post anyway.