COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Greed is intoxicating. If your buddy isn't too disheartened there will probably be a conga line of eager landlords soon enough if all the economic doomsday predictions come true.

Pangolins have been ruled out as the source. They're cute too. Apparently there is concern that many have been killed as a result of their species being accused.
I'm blaming Trump the dirty prick for Bestiality.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
The butcher down the road said all meat prices are up by $5/kg. At the time of need like these days (yeah thanks to those stupid toss on the street selfishly stock pilling and leave nothing for others) you would think that's immoral, but then if demand increase, price generally follows.

Went to Aldi this morning to get couple of milks, to find only a few left and the meat and tin food shelves are cleaned up. Checkouts are confiscating instant noodles, pasta, and rice.

Well the dog will have to be satisfied with just normal biscuits for now and I will have to go vegan soon.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
...or that the demand for iron ore is likely to be subdued for a while.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Saw a stat today that commodities ... Iron, coal, aluminium et al ... are actually doing pretty go both price and shipped volume wise.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The butcher down the road said all meat prices are up by $5/kg. At the time of need like these days (yeah thanks to those stupid toss on the street selfishly stock pilling and leave nothing for others) you would think that's immoral, but then if demand increase, price generally follows.

Went to Aldi this morning to get couple of milks, to find only a few left and the meat and tin food shelves are cleaned up. Checkouts are confiscating instant noodles, pasta, and rice.

Well the dog will have to be satisfied with just normal biscuits for now and I will have to go vegan soon.
Lamb and beef prices are going up but Covid-19 has nothing to do with it.

You may remember there was this drought. That meant that, for a while, meat has been cheaper because feeding it when it was breathing was really expensive. But now, in some places, it has rained. So now, farmers are trying to get stock from those who could afford to hang on to get something to eat the grass that is mysteriously growing...but they haven't got the coin either.

And now there's not enough paper to go around and make sure those cow arses are clean...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I made an argument last week or so that the virus may not have originally transferred to humans in Wuhan. It was soundly rejected by the peanut gallery. Popular opinion is it happened in the wet markets of Wuhan .... so who should we blame for the virus that is apparently the result of an abhorrent and retarded cultural practice?

Oh that's right, the US President ..... o_O
Hyperbole meter going off the scale.

By calling it the Chinese virus, the President is creating a new argument to divert attention away from the gross mishandling of the outbreak in the US (it's a hoax, it will disappear in Summer, etc.)

The reason why calling it the Chinese virus is damaging is because cases of racism against American Chinese are skyrocketing in the US. Further division is not a great idea during a global health crisis, a leader creates solutions, not more problems - see first sentence of this post.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Pangolins have been ruled out as the source. They're cute too. Apparently there is concern that many have been killed as a result of their species being accused.
I hadn't heard that they'd been ruled out. Intradasting. I'm sure the vital organs were distributed at a fair price though.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Hyperbole meter going off the scale.

By calling it the Chinese virus, the President is creating a new argument to divert attention away from the gross mishandling of the outbreak in the US (it's a hoax, it will disappear in Summer, etc.)

The reason why calling it the Chinese virus is damaging is because cases of racism against American Chinese are skyrocketing in the US. Further division is not a great idea during a global health crisis, a leader creates solutions, not more problems - see first sentence of this post.
You apparently missed the tongue-in-cheek element of the hyperbole. It was directed at PP after all.

_______

Is an alien from 2007
fake news, if u had it u cannot get again in near future, u either didn’t have to begin with, or got something else, but most likely false positive test.
you basing that sweeping generalisation on this one preprint in bioRxiv (i.e., not even peer reviewed)?

I'm not a macaque so I'll keep waiting for more evidence.

virus very low level - 1 rung above a cold...many adults won’t realise they even have the condition.
I think something that starts at 30x average flu mortality with room for improvement if your government only thinks in single digit case growth is either more than one rung above the common cold or your ladder is missing some serious rungs. I get that you might be just answering "is it that bad" for the average person but that's a bit like saying "oh yodelling is just a mildly irritating form of singing" when the rate at which people are doing it until they take an ICU bed for 3 weeks is increasing by tens of thousands per day. The scale totally matters, even if most people are not aware that we're innately shit at comprehending the difference, and that in density waves the effect of throughput and reestablishing equilibrium disappear extremely quickly outside a certain range. Ever seen a stupidly slow jam persist in heavy traffic for ages after an accident has been cleared? That, but the stopped cars are preventable deaths.

I'm not trying to shout you or anyone else down, if you disagree with my reasoning good on you, fine. If you're arguing a point like above from a pretty narrow evidence base but making it sound authoritative then yes, sorry, I'll take you to task for it because that sort of "she'llberightism" (+ a little of their standard racism) is what got Europe where they are now, is still unduly influencing policy here, and at the end of the day helps no one, just supports this lament:

"Oh we're fucking the economy for no reason"

Well, you had 4 dry runs to warm you up since 2003, you knew about this one 3 months ago, and had a good idea how it compared to your practice tests by mid Jan, your economy has a slowdown every year (meeting on 29/12 anyone? no? why? oh! Special Days!) which you somehow seem to navigate without going bonkers or making ScoMo do ConcernFace and this sort of "oh it's a beat up" BS is why none of that mattered, and the wheels came off.

I grade you 2/10 for forward planning, 3/10 for adaptability to large scale threat, 1/10 for team work, for an average Global Crisis Score of 2/10. For comparison you did better this round than sauropods long-term average by 1.8/10, but I expected more, and it's not looking good for you guys once netflix goes tits up in May.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Actually this has bee happening since he start. Apparently it was a bio-weapons lab leak or an attempt at population control or a method to disrupt global economy or some other form of espionage...there's no shortage of stupid ideas. Oh there is also a lot of blaming Chinese-Australians for buying all the toilet paper and mailing it to China. I guess all the mince as mailed to China as well? People are people...often stupidity is the go to mode.

But I'd agree that Trump's latest round of garbage strengthens their commitment to stupid
The sentiment has always been there but folks now seem to be happy to just say it out in the open now.
Yep apparently the Chinese are chartering buses to small country towns and buying all the produce to send back home to China.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
As things get worse we will unfortunately get to see how truly ugly some people are. This sort of racism is a classic way to blame others for your own mistakes.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
think i might put in a wiggle order this morning before they adjust prices to the new au...
still gonna be riding this autumn/winter ....even if it is bloody indoors

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Lamb and beef prices are going up but Covid-19 has nothing to do with it.

You may remember there was this drought. That meant that, for a while, meat has been cheaper because feeding it when it was breathing was really expensive. But now, in some places, it has rained. So now, farmers are trying to get stock from those who could afford to hang on to get something to eat the grass that is mysteriously growing...but they haven't got the coin either.

And now there's not enough paper to go around and make sure those cow arses are clean...
True, but this butcher specifically said the price up is due to the virus. In fact it only went up yesterday, the first time I saw massive queue in the butcher and empty trays on display.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
True, but this butcher specifically said the price up is due to the virus. In fact it only went up yesterday, the first time I saw massive queue in the butcher and empty trays on display.
Butcher (the small guys) wholesale prices may well have been jacked up because the supermarket companies have bought / contracted more stock at a higher price. I doubt the butcher would advertise that their prices have gone up because of COVID if they had done it for no reason other than to increase their profits, they’re not idiots.