COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With due respect this shit won’t be over with until either a cure or immunisation is sorted and that will be 12 months at least. There will be peaks and troughs to levels but given its ability to spread, its survival on surfaces and the harm it causes, we won’t be progressing anywhere after a few weeks isolation.
Yeah it won’t be over quick but at least by locking down hard the curve gets hammered for a while. Life might have to have rolling shutdowns which is tough.. or do we just slowly rip the guts out of the economy and emotionally crush society for 6-12 months of slow shutdown? I just can’t see how scomo’s proportional response will end up in anything other than a depression..
Hopefully like a lot of pandemics in the past, this one might just run out of legs, Italy will be the game changer if they can contain it after such a large outbreak..

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I look it as do a true lock-down for 3-4 weeks (or whatever the medical people advise). Let the existing cases self-cure or be treated in proper quarantined wards. Shut the borders (including interstate) with the exception of freight, then treat new outbreaks like spotfires with fast, localised response. Delaying this makes the spread exponentially harder to control, take longer to bring the number of active cases down, and as Kerplunk suggests emotionally crush and financially ruin huge swaths of the population. Short term pain is better than crippling us in the long term IMO.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
With due respect this shit won’t be over with until either a cure or immunisation is sorted and that will be 12 months at least. There will be peaks and troughs to levels but given its ability to spread, its survival on surfaces and the harm it causes, we won’t be progressing anywhere after a few weeks isolation.
I'm a bit more optimistic than that - take Wuhan as an example. Zero new cases for 5 days in a row or something - killed off in the wild amongst a population of 60 million. We can't import cases anymore, so we only have to deal with the ones we have now. With an incubation period of 14 days a short lockdown would be effective; lock down for 28 days, or until there are no new cases then start easing restrictions to get people back to work but continue to practice social distancing until there are zero cases.

Keep the borders closed until the rest of the world sorts their shit out, with mandatory testing for inbound travellers after that - we should have better testing by then that can clear a person within hours. All people stepping off a plane remain in isolation until they're all tested and clear.

In the meantime, just act like it's stage N+1 lockdown - we don't need to wait until our government tells us we have to do it.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I can't keep up with this thread, so apologies if already posted.

The chaser continues to win the internet on a daily basis

----------------------------------------

Morrison issues crystal clear guidance: “Stay at home except for the following 500 different things”

Prime Minister Scott Morrison made a statement to the nation late last night to make sure everyone was as confused as possible as the virus takes grip across the country.

“Don’t congregate in groups of more than five people,” he instructed Australians, “unless you’re at school in which case you should gather in groups of more than five people.”

“Don’t go outside unless you want to go out for a walk or jog. Don’t go to the shops unless you need to go to the shops.”

“For God’s sake, stay 1.5 metres away from people,” he angrily chided the nation, “unless you need your hair done, in which case you can stay long enough to get half a haircut.”

“In short, Australians must not go out of their homes unless they have a reason to go out”, Mr Morrison said.

An angry Mr Morrison blamed people for being confused. “I can’t be more crystal clear about this: don’t go out unless you need to exercise, take the kids to school, have half a haircut, go to work, or line up at Centrelink or do anything else. I don’t understand why Australians are confused.”

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Let's just split tas and Vic off from the rest. SA can maybe join... But nsw/act/qld can be another country. Then WA can just be Xmas Island.

Edit: Maybe Vic n Tas need to join NZ.
I'm in. Are there Kiwi Pronunciation Classes? Eh, Bro?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Let's just split tas and Vic off from the rest. SA can maybe join... But nsw/act/qld can be another country. Then WA can just be Xmas Island.

Hell yes. And yes I'm Victorian, still have a Vic licence to prove it :)

We'll need to tow Queensland out into the middle of the Pacific and scuttle it though...

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I often moan to the misses that apart from the cultural stuff, Melbourne is a bit of a shit city. Dull, grey, crap weather for an Australian town.. Natural beauty is on the fringes of the burbs.. This might have actually helped us dodge the bat flu infested tourists who all headed for Sydney and qld.. All our cases probably came from the oz open..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They are saying create and share social media posts about people killing each other for resources
Well if you say so...

The Australian Howard government collaborated with the Bush administration of the USA to undertake a military invasion of Hussein's Iraq, killing thousands of civilians. They presented a deliberately misleading case for the invasion, claiming Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction that needed immediate neutralisation. None were ever found. Iraq does however have an abundance of oil to be mined and exploited.

Is that the kind of stuff these nut jobs want spread?

You need some fence posts and a welder ?
Ski rope and drop bed actually.

Who's still at work?
Well some times I am. Hard to sell essential take away coffee from home! Employer is pretty much doing a people need work thing and staying open until the government says not to. No obligation to accept shifts and strict don't come of you're unwell rules. I'm hoping that the current attention to hygeine becomes the norm when this shit all dies down.
Stashed it UP THEIR NOSE AYOOOOOOO

seriously the amount of boys I’ve seen whinging about no more work that live week to week, but normally earn six figures is astonishing.
Left it on bali or Thailand.

Ok...so I swung through Woolworths on the way home today. The crowd was mellow. Really mellow. Meat, eggs, rice, pasta, and frozen veggies were low but certainly enough options were present. No to. I couldn't get liquid hand wash so I decided I would buy a body wash. Am I wrong on assuming it is the similar or same stuff? I don't want this to be why I die!

I was thinking about flame throwers a bit today. Not sure why, pretty sure why...see below. Thought they could be handy for quarantining cruise ships and repelling the soon to be roaming zombie hoards. When the caffeine and booze supply is cut of the riots will begin. Also hearing hushed talk around town and among customers of preparedness against looting...

For anyone struggling to get work rom home access, just remind the dim witted decision makers they remind you of homer. Again se below.

Also if you pull your kids from school, go easy on the teachers. They have a classroom (less) full of kids and an ever growing stressful environment. How much additional time do you want them to volunteer for your kids that you have chosen to keep home?

I think it's time for some cocktails.

Attachments

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Finally some sense! Except I agree with @moorey, lets scuttle Qld.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

We're still waiting for WA's request for secession to be approved. Was lodged in 1933 so must be getting close to the top of the pile by now.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Damn I wish I’d gotten one of Elon Musks flamethrowers.

I can however reliably say that a super soaker filled with petrol is fun for a short while then a bit scary...