COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Minlak

custom titis
So Queensland has had it pretty easy during Covid - but that means we have the unique challenge of imposing restrictions where none existed. Southern states had restrictions seemingly eased so is an easier sell.
Now I know we are all enduring freedom rally's and push backs regarding vaccination status etc so I am not minimising what is happening down south either.
But I am really dumbfounded at what seems to be the one missing link in all the diatribe I am hearing.
They keep relating the experiences we have had with locked borders and equating that to the experience we are going to have when the borders open - the reason we need the vaccination rates and restrictions is that the flow of people is going to increase and along with that will come Covid infections - Then when we start seeing wholesale lockdowns they will cry about how not enough was done to prevent it from happening. This rhetoric also seems to be particularly strong in the "Tourist" towns.
Whilst I agree I think its complete shit to lump the responsibility on to the business owner to check I don't know how else you would police it. I am also seeing information like Local Council supports small business in your choice - Yup of course you do knowing full well the decision process is removed from you. But you support us - yup we sure do - So stop the Gubment - Umm sure how? Idiots!!!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So Queensland has had it pretty easy during Covid - but that means we have the unique challenge of imposing restrictions where none existed. Southern states had restrictions seemingly eased so is an easier sell.
Now I know we are all enduring freedom rally's and push backs regarding vaccination status etc so I am not minimising what is happening down south either.
But I am really dumbfounded at what seems to be the one missing link in all the diatribe I am hearing.
They keep relating the experiences we have had with locked borders and equating that to the experience we are going to have when the borders open - the reason we need the vaccination rates and restrictions is that the flow of people is going to increase and along with that will come Covid infections - Then when we start seeing wholesale lockdowns they will cry about how not enough was done to prevent it from happening. This rhetoric also seems to be particularly strong in the "Tourist" towns.
Whilst I agree I think its complete shit to lump the responsibility on to the business owner to check I don't know how else you would police it. I am also seeing information like Local Council supports small business in your choice - Yup of course you do knowing full well the decision process is removed from you. But you support us - yup we sure do - So stop the Gubment - Umm sure how? Idiots!!!
Speaking of diatribes... o_O

What's your point/question here? The first half I can follow along, decent summation of current knowledge - then we shift into overdrive and I can't follow the leaps in logic. Seems to be something about how it's going to be hard for businesses to enforce COVID restrictions if I'm reading it correctly...? (All I'm getting is: "Tourist towns will likely be hardest hit", "local businesses will have to enforce restriction compliance", and "local council aren't responsible for statewide legislation")

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Speaking of diatribes... o_O

What's your point/question here? The first half I can follow along, decent summation of current knowledge - then we shift into overdrive and I can't follow the leaps in logic. Seems to be something about how it's going to be hard for businesses to enforce COVID restrictions if I'm reading it correctly...? (All I'm getting is: "Tourist towns will likely be hardest hit", "local businesses will have to enforce restriction compliance", and "local council aren't responsible for statewide legislation")
You understood half?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for asking CG. Physically I’m not too bad. I think I got a bit unlucky and got myself a bit more than just a cold though as I can feel my body having a hard time. Achey joints, slight fever with shakes, my minor skin condition has flared up like crazy, and a tad more worrying is I have a hard time breathing if I do something too strenuous. Made my bed in the spare room just before and had to lie down for half an hour as I was all puffed out. I have to wear my glasses to read as I just can’t focus otherwise. I feel slightly retarded too. My short term memory is gone and trying to remember details when talking to the Corona people when they call has been difficult. Oh yeah, and my sense of smell has deserted me.
But being stuck in the spare room with no contact with the family is the hard thing. I can hear them outside doing their thing. I’m intensely aware if I’m not careful I could give it to my partner and kiddo. So I literally touch nothing. I wash or sterilise my hands continuously. I’m still tossing up wether I should stay at a Qhotel or not.
I think tomorrow I should be good enough to spend some time outside or fiddling in the garage. But at the moment it’s a struggle to do much of anything.
My partner was copping a lot of the same symptoms.
Complete loss of smell and taste, brain almost completely deserted her and conversations were a real chore. She could not focus at all.

She's still quite fatigued 4 weeks after contracting it, but can function pretty well in the day to day stuff now.

Jpez

Down on the left!
My partner was copping a lot of the same symptoms.
Complete loss of smell and taste, brain almost completely deserted her and conversations were a real chore. She could not focus at all.

She's still quite fatigued 4 weeks after contracting it, but can function pretty well in the day to day stuff now.
Bugger. How did you manage the logistics of separation? Dealing with symptoms is one thing but 1. Trying to isolate in a one bathroom house is damn tricky. I’m literally conscious of every outward breath everything I touch and 2. Having to physically seperate from your family and being unable to be involved in anything whatsoever is quite depressing and difficult to deal with. In some ways it would have been easier if we all got it at the same time especially if it’s probably inevitable in the long run.
My daughters school has set up a camera in the classroom so she can stay involved in the class which is great. But again I can’t help. My partner has a court appearance(work) on WebEx this morning which means she can’t be disturbed under any circumstances so kiddo is on her own if there’s any technical issues.
Only upside is we have an end date. But getting to the end date although only matter of days is a fucking long road.
So how did all the day to day stuff go?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bugger. How did you manage the logistics of separation? Dealing with symptoms is one thing but 1. Trying to isolate in a one bathroom house is damn tricky. I’m literally conscious of every outward breath everything I touch and 2. Having to physically seperate from your family and being unable to be involved in anything whatsoever is quite depressing and difficult to deal with. In some ways it would have been easier if we all got it at the same time especially if it’s probably inevitable in the long run.
My daughters school has set up a camera in the classroom so she can stay involved in the class which is great. But again I can’t help. My partner has a court appearance(work) on WebEx this morning which means she can’t be disturbed under any circumstances so kiddo is on her own if there’s any technical issues.
Only upside is we have an end date. But getting to the end date although only matter of days is a fucking long road.
So how did all the day to day stuff go?
We did not have the easiest time with separation, however she spent the majority of the first week in bed and/or on the phone with doctors, DHHS etc.
Looking back, we probably could have been more strict with our separation, however 3 kids under 5 locked in a house makes that quite difficult, there are times when I simply did not have enough hands to get things under control. We spent a lot of time moving between our garage, backyard and driveway to keep the kids as entertained as they could be.

I also got tested every second day in case of a new isolation period, but it was also giving me peace of mind that myself or the kids didn't have it.

Strangely, our 4.5 year old has developed a sudden fear of being back at daycare and kinder. He has been crying on entry and saying he is scared to go. As others have mentioned, we were not specifically talking to him about everything that's been going on but he certainly picked up on a lot more than we realised. That little two week isolation period has really turned his world upside down.

Jpez

Down on the left!
We did not have the easiest time with separation, however she spent the majority of the first week in bed and/or on the phone with doctors, DHHS etc.
Looking back, we probably could have been more strict with our separation, however 3 kids under 5 locked in a house makes that quite difficult, there are times when I simply did not have enough hands to get things under control. We spent a lot of time moving between our garage, backyard and driveway to keep the kids as entertained as they could be.

I also got tested every second day in case of a new isolation period, but it was also giving me peace of mind that myself or the kids didn't have it.

Strangely, our 4.5 year old has developed a sudden fear of being back at daycare and kinder. He has been crying on entry and saying he is scared to go. As others have mentioned, we were not specifically talking to him about everything that's been going on but he certainly picked up on a lot more than we realised. That little two week isolation period has really turned his world upside down.
That sounds like a really shitty time. I’m sure your 4year old will bounce back just fine. Their resilience levels never cease to amaze me.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so the medical advice was to shut down all of sydney equally, yet gladys decided politics was more important. as mr pyle would say, surprise surprise surprise.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
so the medical advice was to shut down all of sydney equally, yet gladys decided politics was more important. as mr pyle would say, surprise surprise surprise.
Don't you mean that creepy christian guy? or are you talking about the results of gladarse prioritizing the economy over people catching up and manifesting as more fkng covid cases?