Craftworks FRM125 - To Huck Or Not To Huck?

shorty

Likes Dirt
How could it be out of the same factory Banshee's are made in??? Aren't they made in either the US or Canada??

Plus the workmanship on the Scream frame is far to detailed for a fast massed produced frame company!!

That's my 2 bob anyway!

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah its crazy. you'll be surprised how many big name bikes are made in the same factory! giant, for example, are huge, not for there sales, but coz they make the frames or a few other companys...

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Rik said:
How big do you plan to go? They're overbuilt for a 6" bike, that's for sure. I've seen pics of people going big on them, and I'm yet to hear/see any breakage stories.
My mate over in England did a 25foot road gap and snapped his in half (along the downtube)! There you go rik, pics to come.... i lost his email and have to get it off pinkbike, but the search function on pinkbike isnt working so i cant get them yet unless he emails me! Wait...

Im running 7inches front on mine and im finding it great! Feels soo good!

S.

ex offender
naz said:
when i put 7inch forks on my one25 i was like ye it will never break, i only noticed a hairline crack 15minutes before my frame snapped in two....

thats my 2c
The difference there is more likely to be due to the difference between SC and DC, rather than 5" and 7". Given that the crafty is said to be fine with a 6" DC fork, 1" of extra leverage is going to be a reasonably small difference, and IMO not likely to directly cause failure that wouldn't have otherwise happened.

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wouldnt the rear travel transmit less shock through the frame, therefore meaning less fatigue?

lotec

Banned
but you can also accidently land on your back wheel botteming out the rear shock first making your head angle too insanely slack and smash the front wheel into the ground with like a (estimate) 55 degree? head angle tearing the headtube right off or at least putting a LOT more stress on it....

S.

ex offender
lotecsiriusconcept said:
but you can also accidently land on your back wheel botteming out the rear shock first making your head angle too insanely slack and smash the front wheel into the ground with like a (estimate) 55 degree? head angle tearing the headtube right off or at least putting a LOT more stress on it....
You can also run it into a tree at higher speeds due to being able to go faster with dual suspension :idea:

Crippler

Likes Dirt
sorry to hark back to the original question....friend has a FRM125 riddled with cracks and problems. Also being a Medium frame, it is unable to be extended past the 5" setting as the swinger hits the seat tube.......so long travel on that thing is not possible on the rear...all of which Mr Crafter is aware aparently....sorry back to it..

dugfast

Likes Dirt
fastrider gus said:
huck it untill you break it... and recomended fork travel is a heap of poo... do what you like...

ha thats a heaps good quote. its going in my signature. who says i cant put supermonsters on a huffy!

OT

Likes Dirt
I have the original blue frm125 and have had 7inch boxxers on it for the past year with no problems. I had the same problem with the swinger hitting the seat tube in the 6inch setting and low bb slack head angle setting. Changing to the high bb steeper head angle stopped it hitting, I think this gives a more progressive spring rate. When I bought the frame I was just starting to learn to do doubles, gaps and bigger drops, so you can imagine the pounding it took as I went through the learning curve.

G-Man

Likes Dirt
Dude !!

the FRM-125 will take what ever you through at it in the
way of forks ,, But Mr. crafter will not warenty anything
over the 6 inch mark ..

that said i run a pair ot Junior T Pro's up the front on my
sexy Metalic Green 04 FRM-125 and it's on the mark man ..

was dropping the granny fences out at red hill on the weekend
on the grissley's track and not evan a creek out of the frame ..

oh yea ,, no offence to all you Kona Huckers out there
i recon the new FRM-125 looks better as well :twisted: ..
just my 2 cents though ..

but back to the original ,, if your not fussed with warenty ,, go the
big forks & hope ..

if warenty is on the cards for you ,, stick with recomended specs ..

catch yas G-man outy

S.

ex offender
G-Man said:
But Mr. crafter will not warenty anything
over the 6 inch mark ..
I gotta say, I reckon this is pretty silly. How many 6", 1 1/8th forks are out there? Z150/6" DJs, DC Dropoffs... maybe some of the original Sliders if you can get em, or old old old Boxxers; even if you do run a 6" fork it will probably be a DC. A 7" fork is going to put about 5% more leverage on the headtube than a 6" fork (and the actual stress difference will probably be lower than that). The difference in weight/riding style between different riders is going to make a WAY bigger difference to the abuse the headtube cops than the diff between a 6" fork and a 7" fork IMHO.

G-Man

Likes Dirt
S. said:
G-Man said:
But Mr. crafter will not warenty anything
over the 6 inch mark ..
I gotta say, I reckon this is pretty silly. How many 6", 1 1/8th forks are out there? Z150/6" DJs, DC Dropoffs... maybe some of the original Sliders if you can get em, or old old old Boxxers; even if you do run a 6" fork it will probably be a DC. A 7" fork is going to put about 5% more leverage on the headtube than a 6" fork (and the actual stress difference will probably be lower than that). The difference in weight/riding style between different riders is going to make a WAY bigger difference to the abuse the headtube cops than the diff between a 6" fork and a 7" fork IMHO.
I agree completely ,, pretty silly ..

I was just quoting the Man Crafter himself and what he
stated on his website re: the fork size on a FRM-125 ..
you'd be doing well to snap the head tube off of one of these
anyway , Have you seen the gusseting on these things ..
Not something for me to wory about @ 70 kg. anyway..
i'll stick with the Jr. T pros :twisted:

catch yas G-man outy

ridemtbsnow

Likes Bikes
This is all very interesting and timely as I was thinking about upgrading my forks on my '03 FRM125 and was thinking about triple clamp Shermans. Honestly, I think anyone would be hard pressed to break this frame, its over engineered and the gussets are huge.

wilko

Likes Bikes
i know u didnt say anything about a giant ac and thats good cos they are weak i busted the chainstay and im only 15 id go for the banshee

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You won't have to worry about breaking the headtube off the FRM, it's definitely solid. Unfortunately all those gussets didn't stop me ovalising the headtube.