Credible huck?

Rik

logged out
Might be credible, but that picture is ugly, and I bet the bike made sounds that'd make baby jesus cry.

Dim

Spirit Distributions
yeah we all gotta learn some day...I did...i dont huck to flat no more :D

Credible but damaging on ur bike

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
why are you asking if its credible?? are you that insecure with yourself that you need a heap of complete strangers to tell you if its credible??

fuck man, work yourself out - just ride cos you like it. as you can read, not many people like hucking to flat, neither do i for the same reasons, but that doesnt mean shit, if you like it... do it....

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
I say good on you. Personally gutters scare me, but I reckon the bigger you blokes go the better.;)

Also, perspective is a funny thing. PIC 2 (middle one below) was (from memory) a 3m (10') pipe.... and looks it in this pic. PIC 1 is the same pipe but looks about 2m (6') and PIC 3 ... well you count the pallets and work it out, but the angle makes it look even more speco though.

Anyway, bloke on the dumpster... good on you, that's a solid drop.

Attachments

naz

Criminally Inane
johnny said:
So are you saying that trials riding and hucking to flat are the same thing?

Punk.
yes. when i drop i roll up to the edge lean back and keep my bike level till the rear wheel leaves the drop, push my legs down pull the bars up.

pretty much same theory as trials except for the whole rolling part.

foo

i think the funnies part about big drops to flat, they requires a fuckload more skill than most people think, when they go drop off somethin land both wheels at the same time or land sketch, they think oh its shit, coz i cant do it.

and then when someone else does it because they dont like it then it has to be shit.

trials riders ride rigid and drop to flat bgger than anyone else. and if u apply trials style landing to freeride bikes it can be as smooth.

Attachments

Last edited:

crazydownhiller

Likes Dirt
Hey thanks naz man, but anyway. like i said, once i hucked to flat and i havnt since, and the only damn reason i put this on farkin was to prove Matty 2004 wrong, or to shut him up cps hes pissin me off. yeh now thinkin about it ill stay with 6.5-7 foot, the blokes with me rekond it was 8-9. i dont know feet well. Also one of u said ya thought my bike would be making noise? not a sound from the bastard, cept 2 weeks later the wheel unwound. Thanks for your opinions but i wasnt asking for a fight.

Rik

logged out
Drops to flat on a hardtail/trials bike are VERY different to dropping to flat on a dually. Hit a flat landing on a dually, with your weight all the way back, will equal some major rear suspension compression, followed by hardcore fork slap... and because your rear is compressed so much, the forks are at such a slack angle they don't want to compress, and the result is a very harsh, very nasty landing. Sure, you can drop to flat all you want on a hardtail, but that doesn't make it any more pleasant for the audience.
naz said:
yes. when i drop i roll up to the edge lean back and keep my bike level till the rear wheel leaves the drop, push my legs down pull the bars up.
pretty much same theory as trials except for the whole rolling part.
foo
Oh yeh, that's great, but he's on a dually, you're on a hardtail. As Johnny asked (as rhetorical as it may have been), is hucking to flat, and dropping trials style, the same thing? You didn't even come near answering the question, but still wanted to be condescending. Foo :rolleyes: I don't beleive applying trials style landing to "freeride" bikes (I assume you mean duallies like the Stinky) can share the same technique, as I explained above. But hey, who's to care, everyone should keep dropping to flat, it keeps Grip in business :cool:

Last edited:

tu plang

knob
at a glance i thought i was clicking something about the incredible hulk, what i got however was something far lamer, even than that.

edit: oh so i dont sound like a complete scruge i will clarify that im not having a poke at the riding a such more the thread in general. im with the 'as long as your having fun do it' concept as you will probably move away from drops to flat after a while anyway, most people seem to experiment with them for a while then realise they can be pretty harsh on bike and body.

Last edited:

naz

Criminally Inane
Rik said:
Drops to flat on a hardtail/trials bike are VERY different to dropping to flat on a dually. Hit a flat landing on a dually, with your weight all the way back, will equal some major rear suspension compression, followed by hardcore fork slap... and because your rear is compressed so much, the forks are at such a slack angle they don't want to compress, and the result is a very harsh, very nasty landing. Sure, you can drop to flat all you want on a hardtail, but that doesn't make it any more pleasant for the audience.
Oh yeh, that's great, but he's on a dually, you're on a hardtail. As Johnny asked (as rhetorical as it may have been), is hucking to flat, and dropping trials style, the same thing? You didn't even come near answering the question, but still wanted to be condescending. Foo :rolleyes: I don't beleive applying trials style landing to "freeride" bikes (I assume you mean duallies like the Stinky) can share the same technique, as I explained above. But hey, who's to care, everyone should keep dropping to flat, it keeps Grip in business :cool:
condescending.....read ur post.

i am forever bound to trials style no matter what bike. so naturally because i have a different point of view i am wrong. awesome.

Rik

logged out
:eek: Shoot yourself down, that's cool, saves me effort :D Trials style is the best way to ride a hardtail, of course, but as I said, what happens when you do it on a dually? Major fork slap... you didn't mention it in your post, and especially since you mentioned "freeride" bikes, I thought it'd be best to point on the results of such a style on a bike with decent amounts of rear squish.
Fact is, when you get to a fairly slack head angle (say, sub 65 degrees), the fork just doesn't want to compress smoothly on vertical impacts, and when you trials style a dually and compress the rear end first, the front end ends up being being fairly slack, and the fork doesn't want to compress, the bushings bind, and you end up with sore wrists + neck and a very ugly looking landing.

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rik said:
:eek: Shoot yourself down, that's cool, saves me effort :D Trials style is the best way to ride a hardtail, of course, but as I said, what happens when you do it on a dually? Major fork slap... you didn't mention it in your post, and especially since you mentioned "freeride" bikes, I thought it'd be best to point on the results of such a style on a bike with decent amounts of rear squish.
Fact is, when you get to a fairly slack head angle (say, sub 65 degrees), the fork just doesn't want to compress smoothly on vertical impacts, and when you trials style a dually and compress the rear end first, the front end ends up being being fairly slack, and the fork doesn't want to compress, the bushings bind, and you end up with sore wrists + neck and a very ugly looking landing.
And sometimes a snap due to the increased leverage.;):(

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that sounds about right with the head tube angle on dually with drops (shaums marsh in 2003 red bull ride :eek: ) but doesn't bender run a sub 60 degree headtube on his karpiel. then again i may have just been misinformed...

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=7094

i can't believe nobody has put this up yet!

man, drops to flat on a duallie are stupid and pointless and require less brains than more guts (and skill for that matter) now hucks to uphill on the other hand...

oh, and here is a good huck. (i am yet to do it, but next time we go riding in belco matt, we need to go ask permission etc from the church owners. (god?)

aaanyway, i want you to note the nice DOWNWARDS angle of the landing, good for smoothness. plus, with some speed, it should be about 15ft (using Rik's height camparatator

Attachments

Rik

logged out
"Excuse me church owners, I want to be closer to god... one way of doing so is throwing myself and my bike off your roof, can I have permission to go ahead with this act?"

Bowzaa, you could be right with Benders headangle in the Karpiel days, but I've a feeling most of his gear was custom made/tuned for his riding, and could take slap landings better than most.
Anyway, hucks to uphill are madcore, we all know that :D