Critique my training program.

Hi I would like to improve the way I train so I can improve my lap times a bit. Currently I are probably around 3-4minutes slower than my mates over a 10km loop and while some of this is technique, a fair bit is fitness on a MTB because I can match them on a roadie.
I are Male aged 44 weigh 84-85 kg (weighed 98 at Xmas) Married with 3 kids.
My times for training times are pretty much fixed and consist of a 40km return trip to work on Mon, Wed and Fri, a 20km Hill ride on tuesday usually and 1.5hr or so Mtb ride on the weekend.
I was thinking of trying to do some interval training on Mon and Friday on the ride to work so my week will end up something like this. I dont usually get the chance to ride much more than this due to family commitments etc but occasionally I do get a 3 or 4hr ride in. I are just looking for a bit of input on how I can improve on what I are suggesting. I would like to do some 6hrs XC races in the future but definately want to improve my times at our local club races which are usually 2-3hr events.

Mon 8-9 AM 20km half flat fire trail and half flat road on 16kg MTB commuter with panniers 5x 1km intervals (2 on dirt 3 on tar)
Mon 6-7 PM return 20km at leisurly pace.
Tues 4-5PM 20kmish Hill ride with 500m of elevation
Wed 8-9 AM 20km at moderate pace
Wed 6-7 PM 20km at moderate pace
Thurs Rest day or fun ride with the kids
Fri 8-9 AM 20km half flat fire trail and half flat road on 16kg MTB commuter with panniers 5x 1km intervals (2 on dirt 3 on tar)
Fri 6-7 PM return 20km at leisurly pace.
Weekend 1.5-2hrs Mtb ride with a bit of work trying to improve cornering and keeping momentum up etc.

thanks
Nicko

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
heavy bike and panniers aren't going to be ideal for intervals, thinking about load on your joints, lower back, pedal technique.

need to get some single track in and do intervals within that. assuming you aren't going to do road intervals (on light roadie).

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
The most accurate way you can do it on the cheap and offers a rough guide is threshold test.
You can find multiple ways to do this test

Joe Friel speaks about this here. http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/03/heart-rate-and-training.html

It will require a heart rate monitor and give you the more accurate training zones for you to work with to help maximize the small time you do have on the bike.

Ill do the standard thing and say its recommended you only do the above exercise/test with medical clearance as it does require strenuous exercise.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You said some of the reason you can,t stay with your mates is technique.. You won,t improve your 'technique' (not for fast flowy or techy singletrack) on a bike like you have described. You will just adapt - in an awkward manner.. Good luck with your goals anyway..:thumb:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
If you can match on roadie, chances are its all technique. There are no shortcuts to technique, just hours of riding off road.

If you want to make gains in fitness to make up for the technique , see driftkings
post above . Must learn to use and use a HRM for where you should train.

Road the socks off a buddy last night- he asked where I'd got my legs from! Wasn't legs, it was just flat tracks that are my local, which makes me a solid 5 or 6% faster than capable riders . So practice on the tracks you want to be fast on.

Oh and ride with faster people, observe what they do where, and how's it's different to you.