CSU Too short......

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
HI Folks

Purchased a new frame thinking I could fit my current Lyric Fork with a CSU steerer length of 180mm. The website claims 135mm head tube height but doesn't take into consideration the headset and headset cap which added another 15mm. So, with my standard 40mm stack height with my stem left me about 10mm too short. In an attempt to rectify the situation I have purchased a shorter stack height stem but this leaves the CSU steerer approximately 2mm short of the top of the stem. See picture....

Stem (800x600).jpg Stem 2 (800x600).jpg

The top bolt of the stem is below the top of the CSU steerer by about 3mm....

Would you trust it?

Please don't tell me to purchase a new CSU.......that I can't afford.....

Regards

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
That's fine, the preload will take up a mil or two of that space. It's pretty much where you should have the steerer if you cut it to length.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thats fine. Some top caps would have required you to leave that gap anyway. Justmake sure you use grip paste on steerer, anti seize on the bolts and a torque wrench.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

goobags

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure that’s what my stem and steerer look like on both my bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you decide to move those forks on let me know.

I always finish the steerer a few mm before the top of my stem. As long as both stem bolts are grabbing steerer you'll be fine. I think it allows for better compression from the top cap. I might be wrong. I might be right. If you are concerned you can always get a lower stack height head set or stem. Though your stem looks pretty low already.

What is the frame?

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Frame is the new Canyon Torque. I will look into a lower stack headset, reckon that may be the best solution. I will contact Canyon to find out what bearing diameter is required for the frame set and hopefully find something suitable.

Appreciate all the replies....will sleep a little better tonight....was a horrible feeling to see the steerer not poke its way up to the expected height...$$$$

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Looked into it a bit more, looks like all I need is a lower stack dust cover. Supplied is about 8mm stack height, find and alternative headset bearing that will fit the frame with a lower dust cover and looks like I'm sorted.