Customs duty importing bikes since GST threshold lowered

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just wodering what people experiences are importing bikes after the GST threshold has been lowered.

Does customs check if who you bought it off has all ready paid the GST?

I.e. chain reaction collect GST and other online shops don't

Unless I get an awesome price on a Norco Rampage Team, I'm going to import a pump track bike as there is very little available in Australia that come with Pike DJ forks

thank for your help

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why not buy a two6player, people are still having issues with pike DJs anyways..
Just go the circus expert you reckon? What are the Pike issues? Did a quick google and found some stuff, but nothing real recent. I'm a big unit and like the idea of the 35mm chassis

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
They check everything pretty closely. It often makes it less competitive to buy overseas now, price wise, once you factor in the extra import charges you have to pay. Even on eBay, I see import charges added to second hand items now.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Circus Experts would do the job well for you.
Dartmoor, Marin, Polygon, Canyon DJs are pretty bang for buck.
You can get Experts for 300 so you can sell your forks as new for 200 easily which opens up options.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
God that tax scheme irritates me. Fuck Harvey Norman and everyone who pushed that protectionist bullshit on Australia.
Politicians love to spout free-market capitalism, but we are far from any sort of free-market by any stretch of the imagination!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Just go the circus expert you reckon? What are the Pike issues? Did a quick google and found some stuff, but nothing real recent. I'm a big unit and like the idea of the 35mm chassis
You’ll be fine with a circus. Better reliability track record than pile dj’s. if all you are gonna do is ride pump tracks you could get away with a SID.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You’ll be fine with a circus. Better reliability track record than pile dj’s. if all you are gonna do is ride pump tracks you could get away with a SID.
Yep mainly for pump, building my own track in the backyard

Thanks for everyone’s help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Anyone know what the latest is when importing a frame from overseas?

I'm specifically looking from bike-components.de

I know CRC takes care of everything for you from their end.... which is great.

I asked bike-components but couldnt quite understand their response

"the taxes are converted directly at the time of order, you then have to pay the customs duties once it arrives in australia"

I'm confused as I dont see any taxes being charged when I update my location to Australia on their website, also I can't recall if I'll have to pay GST and customs when it arrives or is GST the customs.

Cheers

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Anyone know what the latest is when importing a frame from overseas?

I'm specifically looking from bike-components.de

I know CRC takes care of everything for you from their end.... which is great.

I asked bike-components but couldnt quite understand their response

"the taxes are converted directly at the time of order, you then have to pay the customs duties once it arrives in australia"

I'm confused as I dont see any taxes being charged when I update my location to Australia on their website, also I can't recall if I'll have to pay GST and customs when it arrives or is GST the customs.

Cheers
Customer duties are different to GST so you have to pay both from my understanding/recollection. Discount components might include GST in the order but customs duties are calculated at the border, if it comes DHL they will email you an invoice. My Aether 9 was about $400 from recollection, about $200 GST and $200 duties.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Customer duties are different to GST so you have to pay both from my understanding/recollection. Discount components might include GST in the order but customs duties are calculated at the border, if it comes DHL they will email you an invoice. My Aether 9 was about $400 from recollection, about $200 GST and $200 duties.
Ahh DHL.

I had a second hand camera lens returned to me from the United States Of embarrassment for repair. After much arguing about why it shouldn’t attract duty and gst, they still stung me $50 for processing. Not happy Jan.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Ahh DHL.

I had a second hand camera lens returned to me from the United States Of embarrassment for repair. After much arguing about why it shouldn’t attract duty and gst, they still stung me $50 for processing. Not happy Jan.
Yeah I think they have made it part of their revenue stream to sting you for as much duty as possible.

goobags

Likes Dirt
I have also been stung by DHL. You pay duty if freight as well. They estimated the freight to be like $350 even though it was shipped with DHL so they could see the cost of shipping that was $90. Their fees are above the expectation border force set too.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yeah I think they have made it part of their revenue stream to sting you for as much duty as possible.
I had quite a lengthy conversation with them over email, asking if I’m setup as a company with an account with them, if I bring in second hand goods for repair here (ebike parts and suspension), would I be able to automatically have everything declared as second hand, no gst or duty and no processing fees. I had a senior manager tell me no, that $50 fee must be paid. So in their greedy little minds, it’s all or nothing. I told them I’d be using post instead, as it’s genuinely a second hand good imported for repair and return to the owner, they are offering zero value to the process yet demanding $50. It’s really just subsidising the local devision of the global DHL group. Also by the way they (miss)handled the question, it’s obviously a rarity that any goods are imported into this high cost nation for repairs.

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I have also been stung by DHL. You pay duty if freight as well. They estimated the freight to be like $350 even though it was shipped with DHL so they could see the cost of shipping that was $90. Their fees are above the expectation border force set too.

When I asked for the breakdown from customs all they could provide was an invoice from DHL nothing from customs with the duty amount. My guess is they generate an invoice of the maximum duty you could pay and give that to you then pay the minimum to customs and pocket the difference.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Got me nervous about a forthcoming $800 car parts order im making... Not been hit with GST (despite this seller not charging me EU VAT :) ) keeping them under $1000, but guess my luck could run out.