Food/Diet delete/sold

mymasseur

Likes Dirt
i see your first problem is counting things! maths and food, dont know why people do this. I try and eat very little carbs, mainly fruit and veg, def no breads, wheats etc, I try and stay away from all sugars except 3 things, beer, nut bars on my rides that contain the smallest amount of carbs i can find, they have heaps of fat and coconut etc, and lastly i eat a fare few wraps. basically caveman style, slow burners and what you would eat from picking or killing. Not a natzi, when I switched over to this mid last xc race season, suprised I did so much better. Now fuller, no bloating, belly aches, weights def not an issue, and I feel great! Basically I stay away from what your body breaks down as glucose, bar those 3 things. Tried AIS suggested diet for mountain bikers, all the gels and shit every 30 mins blah blah, but unless you are elite at national level, why bother, its bad for you. Eat fat, its good for you!

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
A tonne of fat and protein are actually ideal if you're so concerned about "carbs".

There's more energy in fat than there is in carbs.

The energy value per gram of various food components includes:
fat – 37 kJ (9 Cal) – not all fatty acids may provide the same amount of energy
alcohol – 29 kJ (7 Cal)
carbohydrates – 16 kJ (4 Cal) – not all carbohydrates may provide the same amount of energy
protein – 17 kJ (4 Cal)
dietary fibre – 13 kJ (3 Cal) – if fermented by bacteria in the large intestine
water – 0 kJ (0 Cal).
You can switch your metabolism to be a user of fat for energy via a ketogenic diet.

mymasseur

Likes Dirt
. There is some plausibility to the carbs make you fat but it still ultimately comes down to energy burnt vs eaten.
I dissagree, changing over from a football carreer on high carb, post knee surgeries too many times, to no exercise for 3 years = fat, same as modern diet of everyone that comes into my clinic. over 60% say i have a good diet, 5 food groups, pyramid etc. Bullshit, it has failed, last 30 years dietician model is a fail. and whilst on a exercise hiatise, i changed to my caveman diet, good fat = bad feet = ok! dropped 20 kgs felt great, never looked, back, started riding went back to ais carb diet, felt like shit, dropped back to like keytosis, and gold! take vitamins and minerals, get blood tested, all good, everyone is different, slight variations are possible due to your different, genetics, where your from??? Hear this look up and buy this guys books, Stephen Eddy, heard of Endura? He formulated it. He is a bio chemist on top of many other degrees. He now apologisis for it!!! Now formulates for Bioconcepts, is head of natural thearpies college, boardmember of australian traditionl medicine society, has a phd in cardiovascular health something or other, has written many books on diet and nutrition in realtion to fat and sugar. Oh is a nutritionist and uses science to back his views. Teaches up and down the coast now to drs and all health practitioners. This is the new wave to help solve the epidemic that has crept into our diets. For mellenia we ate what was out of our cave, we never really spent all day cutting grass in a field to grind crap into pastes to try and make it into something, takes too long, you can get what you need from fresh food and use multivitamin minerals for those we lack from our geography! test you blood, it will tell you what you need. Remeber google Stephen Eddy, read up.

mymasseur

Likes Dirt
yeah i get names from everywhere, what is the right name, paleo blah blah, but essentially yes the point about cave man dieing early, yes we have better hygiene and our teeth dont fall outso we can live longer, we immunise etc, we have had some brilliant medical discoveries like penacillin. these have meant we can live longer. it wasnt our diets that killed us for millenia, just our lack of knowlege.
now that we live longer and then have the ability to exercise less at 60, we need to eat smarter. But as our bodies age we need to do 3 things, diet yes, exercise yes, but the big factor with age is hormones!! We get old because we are loosing these wonderful chemicals that keep us supple and flexable. so when cortisol wakes you at 5 am and you go hunt and drag food back to your cave, exercise, then you graze all day, climbing trees etc, picking stuff, your active, but now your aging and loosing hormones and teeth rot, you die.
Every body has slight variances, but limiting the amount of glucose means you will less likely store bad fat. you burn it! yes food has changed, and as irish descent in australia, should i be eating what? should we all eat cows and grains?? were they all over the planet? as foods have lost there nutrition, this is why we use vitamins and minerals to top up. yes exercise helps for sure, would prefer everyone too. But to loose fat is easy as avoiding mdern foods, so lets not say caveman, lets say dont eat anything that has been around for only the last 2000 years then. so not technically caveman. and it would all depend on where you live. we would have ha very bland clean diets. I'll take oil over sugar any day.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grains are not evil. Oats are one of the best slow-release energy sources you can eat. And as a bonus they lower your blood cholesterol. Porridge is a pretty simple health food.

The problem with most diet theories is two-fold. Who is the target audience? The dietary needs of someone who needs to lose weight are very different to the needs of an athlete, no one diet is a solution for everyone. And every 5 years or so we completely dismiss the current theory as complete bullshit and now it's evil and was doing us harm all along. What makes anyone think the current theories are immune to this knowledge/fashion cycle?

If you're maintaining a healthy weight and getting enough vitamins and minerals and not lining your arteries with plaque (my concern with all these "fat is good" trends) then don't sweat it.

mymasseur

Likes Dirt
Grains are not evil. Oats are one of the best slow-release energy sources you can eat. And as a bonus they lower your blood cholesterol. Porridge is a pretty simple health food.
I think grains are evil! Especially if your from a certain genetic area. Oats break down in the body as 90% glucose. yes it has more fibre than other cereals but end of the day, sugar! so it is not slow release, it is a fast burner! Quick spike of energy. there are many better sloewr release foods. How do oats lower cholesterol????? I have never heard or read this before. Cholesterol isny a dirt word either. there is good cholesterol and bad. Its not a health food. Fruit and vegetables are healthy foods, as is nuts and seeds, and oils from fruit and vegetable sources.
Oats = Sugar. Sorry no good.

let's be honest there are ankles arguments for each way of thinking all which have backed research.
I agree with this statement too. Look at heart foundation tick of approval, must people think these foods are healthy. They are not, they have taken fat out and added, sugar. yes 0 fat but loads of sugar. Turn on the tv, last night canadian dieticians have studied and decided sugar uptake is a massive issue. New zealand are looking at implimenting laws over added sugar. So whle oats on there own maybe ok for atheltes, for the general public I dont think they are.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your deductive reasoning would suggest all carbohydrates are evil. Yet you say fruit isn't evil, despite the fructose and sucrose content. ??????

Just do a basic google search of the glycaemic index of oats. They do not give you a "spike" in energy. Oats and lentils are among the best glycaemic index foods you can eat!

One thing we do agree on is that arguments exist for any and every theory. It's hard to separate nonsense from fact. But here's some facts:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol/ART-20045192 (this is VERY common knowledge)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/313683-what-is-the-glycemic-index-of-oatmeal/ (again VERY common knowledge).

As for cholesterol not being a dirty word, you're exactly right. I was paraphrasing. Oats lower your low density lipoprotein. The bad cholesterol. Fixed.

Last edited:

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also LDL isn't necessarily bad its the oxidation of it that causes harm.
OK, I concede, you are indeed a pedant. But only when it comes to topics, not grammar. Maybe you should branch out a bit? It improves your credibility.

As with any of these topics, you could write a book about them. You need to abbreviate somewhere or each post would be an encyclopaedia. If I said that you need to lower type B LDL oxidation I would have been more precise. It's rare to have high type A LDL and low type B LDL. It's reasonable to abbreviate sometimes. Otherwise threads drag on. And I'm not sure how you stop it oxidising, it's about where my knowledge tapers off along with my care factor. But one thing to remember that puts it all in context is that the larger portion of your cholesterol is produced by your body, not derived from what you eat (unless your diet is truly wrong). But that's another topic....

So, my suggestion to your original question was oats. But I should probably add lentils, at risk of sounding like a hippy.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not as a routine test afaik but I'm sure you could arrange it if you were prepared to pay. I think that you'd be splitting unnecessary hairs though. There are so many other factors that effect your atherosclerotic profile, blood pressure, exercise, smoking etc. But the one biggest risk is your genes, which we cant control so we dont talk about. Knowing your LDL subtype levels on one particular day of your life may be interesting perhaps, but will it be help you in a practical sense? I dont know, talk to your cardiologist :)