Derailleur hanger alignment tool

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
The tool is a buy once item though. Will outlast any bike and any hanger

I have quite a few bikes in the fleet so it easily gets used enough to mean it’s earnt it keep quite a few times over already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

The tool is a buy once item though. Will outlast any bike and any hanger

I have quite a few bikes in the fleet so it easily gets used enough to mean it’s earnt it keep quite a few times over already

What are you doing with your hangers it's made it's money back already?
Have you thought of saving those pennies so you'll be able to afford a bike that controls well enough to avoid hitting the derailleur on things?

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Have you thought of saving those pennies so you'll be able to afford a bike that controls well enough to avoid hitting the derailleur on things?
I don't think it's the bike that's the issue here. (at least in my case anyway)

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Until I started using a hanger alignment tool I didn’t realise how often they get knocked. I ride quite a few different places. Some are harder on mechs than others.

The UAE was one of the toughest. Lots of technical and very rocky riding that was brutal on bikes. The newish top section at Thredbo has had some mech grabbing rocks. I fell off a couple of times during the Rotorua Crankworx Enduro because of not being used to such slippy conditions. My bike fell over in the ANSTO carpark (blown over by a gust of wind while leaning on a pedal on a curb). Natalie has bent hers once in a small fall locally.

Yes I could probably be more careful but I’ve never claimed to be a good rider

It’s taken me since 1988 to get to this point so I don’t see anything changing soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
Have personally never used one. Once, 10 year ago, asked shop to align one after a bingle. Came back worse shifting than ever. I had a quick fiddle by eye, and sorted it.
Not saying don’t get one, but I don’t find the need for one.
Is said bike shop still in business? Haha

teK--

Eats Squid
It occurs to me that you could just buy three spare hangers for your bike for the price of the tool.
I've been unlucky and smashed two XTR Derailluers in the past year on rocks, and even I'm not replacing my hangers enough to warrant purchasing that tool.

Also mandatory reminder that I'm about to go to a gearbox and leave this "pleb-tier life of using a derailleur" behind. I don't think I've mentioned it to anyone in a couple of days, so any excuse.
Yeah but even a brand new hanger might need adjusting once it's installed.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You can align a hanger pretty close by eye but I suppose the tool can save a fair bit of time. You can still have bent links on a derailleur though which makes straightening the hanger useless.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I am no good at anything much by eye I would buy one if you think you can bend hangers back OK cos I think they are very overpriced and its difficult to find the exact one.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This might go in the stupid q’s thread.. Is the straightening process the same if you have a one piece combo hanger and dropout (intense spider)?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
It occurs to me that you could just buy three spare hangers for your bike for the price of the tool.
I've been unlucky and smashed two XTR Derailluers in the past year on rocks, and even I'm not replacing my hangers enough to warrant purchasing that tool.

Also mandatory reminder that I'm about to go to a gearbox and leave this "pleb-tier life of using a derailleur" behind. I don't think I've mentioned it to anyone in a couple of days, so any excuse.
Are you vegan as well?

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

Forever chasing the elusive heights of that first high; hoping that "C&*T with a gearbox" does it.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I've seen whole production runs of bikes with wonky hangers from the factory. Worth being able to check for yourself!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Probably the most used tool I own... my boys are hallions !

Got a Park Tool but paid over $100 for it IIRC. Seen them on special somewhere lately for $70.