Derby in Tassi

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Sweet! I'll be in the camp ground or hanging with some friends at the Brothers Town Cottage (right next to the campground) with a burn your eyes orange Norco Sight.
Hahaha.... well my Canyon is nicknamed "Toxic Snot".... so I presume we wont miss each other.

Pffft, hot showers. Have a swim in the river if things get a bit whiffy!
.... I hear Vegans are soft cunts..... hot shower and some warm soy milk before bedtime.

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
lamo GOV " trail " park " for everybody "
Spot on.

Personally, I felt the Derby MTB park was like riding through the Melbourne botanic gardens. Sorry, just personal opinion.

Blue Tier on the other hand was awesome fun!

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Had a great weekend at Derby, crossed off the two last trails that I hadn't yet ridden, Blue Tier and Return to Sender. Rode up the "old school" Blue Tier track and down the new one on Saturday. Checked out the glow worm tunnel 3/4 up the old Blue Tier track. Quite liked the new World Trail built one, would have been nicer if I wasn't so buggered from the climb. Did Long Shadows, Flickity Sticks and Return to Sender on Sunday, both descents leave a big smile on your face.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Having been lucky enough to ride Derby for a couple of days towards the end of last year on my honeymoon, I am now looking at going back in the next couple of months with some friends.

What are peoples thoughts on weather during March-April??
Weather should be perfect for riding around then. You always get the odd shit day but in all it's prime Tassie riding weather.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Headed to Derby for the day tomorrow... Due to limited time, what trails are the pick of the bunch?
Short day would have to include shuttles to Black stump for
- Flickety Sticks
- Return to Sender
- Black Stump/Shearpin/23 Stitches

If you can manage a full day
- Shuttle to Blue Tier
- Atlas run into Dambusters Decent

If you're not shuttling, and don't mind pedalling, ride you long shadows upper to black stump and ride all of the above ^^^ from the short day (one after the other......so lots of pedalling)

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Headed to Derby for the day tomorrow... Due to limited time, what trails are the pick of the bunch?
Can you spend the full day riding? The shuttle to Blue Tier, lunch at the Weldborough pub (steak sanga is fricken awesome), shuttle up to Atlas and cruise back into Derby is a great day out... the old Blue Tier is a great wilderness trail, you'll feel in the middle of nowhere and the start has an alpine tinge to it. Creek crossings and old miner trails. Bring your legs though cos there's a climb up to Big Chook which is a stunning flow trail.

Or if you're just heading out from Derby all the tracks are great.. dunno since you don't like climbing much based on previous posts.... maybe get some lifts up to the top of Flickety Sticks?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Short day would have to include shuttles to Black stump for
- Flickety Sticks
- Return to Sender
- Black Stump/Shearpin/23 Stitches

If you can manage a full day
- Shuttle to Blue Tier
- Atlas run into Dambusters Decent
I'd say you can do all of this in a day if you're fit. I wouldn't bother with Blue Tier, just Big Chook, which is an easy pedal up vs a long and tedious shuttle. Atlas into Black Dragon if you're feeling like some steep tech.

moorey

call me Mia
I'd say you can do all of this in a day if you're fit. I wouldn't bother with Blue Tier, just Big Chook, which is an easy pedal up vs a long and tedious shuttle. Atlas into Black Dragon if you're feeling like some steep tech.
Blue Tier is bonza. Wash your mouth out.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I can ride for as long as I want, really... or as long as my body holds together (the glue likes to come unstuck sometimes).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Black stump shuttles look the goods and Return to Sender would be a grand end to the day!
But Blue Tier to Atlas seems like a pretty awesome way to spend the day as well.

I guess I'll have to choose something and just make an effort for a return trip!

On a side note, what do they sting ya for shuttles? I haven't been able to find pricing yet... unless I'm blind and/or stupid.

moorey

call me Mia
I can ride for as long as I want, really... or as long as my body holds together (the glue likes to come unstuck sometimes).

Black stump shuttles look the goods and Return to Sender would be a grand end to the day!
But Blue Tier to Atlas seems like a pretty awesome way to spend the day as well.

I guess I'll have to choose something and just make an effort for a return trip!

On a side note, what do they sting ya for shuttles? I haven't been able to find pricing yet... unless I'm blind and/or stupid.
From memory, atlas/blue tier/chook was $75 for the day. Fair hike to the trailhead.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

.....And $35 for about 4 shuttles to black stump trail head where Black Stump, return to Sender and upper flickety starts.

clockworked

Like an orange
don't mix up the 'blue tier' with 'blue tier descent'. They're quite different. Blue tier is essentially a long flow track, while the descent is an old walking track with some rocky, fast fire trail sections. I did both last week and would recommend the descent out of the two