Derby in Tassi

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Nah, stick with Saturday. Don't reckon you would leave yourself enoungh time for lunch, the Weldborough pub stops serving lunches at 2pm.
It's a shuttle pickup, so I think the only worry would be getting to the start if it was on the Friday.

I was thinking about it more enjoyment / fitness wise. If it would be better to do the Blue Tier/ Atlas first up while fresh instead of after a day of shuttles...

PJO

in me vL comy
It's a shuttle pickup, so I think the only worry would be getting to the start if it was on the Friday.

I was thinking about it more enjoyment / fitness wise. If it would be better to do the Blue Tier/ Atlas first up while fresh instead of after a day of shuttles...
To give you an idea of the time:
It takes about 1 hour for the shuttle from Derby to the drop off at the top of the Blue Tier.
Bay of Fires 13km takes about 1 hour of riding (a bit less if you faff less).
Then another 30+ minutes to get back to the top again.
Blue Tier takes about 2hrs, you could do it faster but you want to enjoy it and have a few stops and maybe even the odd mechanical.

So that's about 4 1/2 hrs from leaving Derby until you get to lunch, working backwards you would want to get your orders in at the Weldborough pub by 1:30pm, that means you want to be leaving Derby no later than 9am. It is doable to get off the boat and be in Derby in 2hrs 30min, so it is all possible but doesn't leave much room for delays.

Atlas is then another 20min of shuttle time and another 1hr and a bit of ride time.

Last time I rode it we started at 8:30am from Derby and it was about 4hrs of riding time and 52km. I can tell you now the beer tasted fucking good at the end of that day!

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Feeling pretty lucky right now with a trip booked to Maydena in November and a trip in Feb to Derby. All done on a whim and on the cheap too. Can't wait to get down there again :)

The Maydena is the race that is not a race......timing beacons means it's a race lol. Derby trip is more a pedal fest this time as we aren't even booking shuttles like we normally do, just rolling the dice with minimal planning. Air Ya Garn is looking mint right now!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
If so, would we get there in time getting off the Spirit of Tassie first thing Friday morning?
Its about 100km from the SoT to Launceston then around a further 100km from Launceston to Derby, even without stopping for food and beer, its always taken us over 3hrs, then there's getting in to you accommodation, put supplies away, bike adjust, get your gear on...

The SoT docking/departure time is usually out by quite a bit too.

I would guess you will be close to midday before turning a pedal.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Hot tip... try to get on the spirit of Tassie last/towards the end of the line... if you get a park on the main deck it means you are first off the boat when it arrives in Tas...
If you're in the bowels of the ship, it could take another 40-50mins just to get off.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
All good tips, thanks gents.

The plan will stay as is. Much easier to miss the first Black Stump shuttle and get the next than it would be for the First 13 / Blue Tier/ Atlas ride.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Oh boy, it looks like I could be heading to Blue Derby next May!

Is it best to hire bikes for the duration or pack up our bikes and fly them over?

Brow

Big Block
I find it a bit nicer to ride Axehead and lower Long Shadows and peel off onto Cascade Dam Road from there. Cut out the steepest bit of the road climb. But as PJO said, the shuttle isn't that expensive.
View attachment 403267

Station Road finishes where circled and it looks like a track heading up the hill (on private land I would think) and then you might be able hike a bike across to Whochya-Upta. Would be worth a look.
View attachment 403265
Thanks @Stredda. Been looking further into the shuttles and the bike shop said should be ok for just turn up. Will definitely check out end of Station Rd. Might even be able to follow river onto Rapids trail or Lake trail down to the bridge. I could not see any tracks looking at maps. Got the Blue Derby App to check out too.

ozzybmx

Oh boy, it looks like I could be heading to Blue Derby next May!

Is it best to hire bikes for the duration or pack up our bikes and fly them over?
In your excitement, you have left out a few details that may help answering your question.

How many days riding ?
How many people ?
Flying or boat ?
Got bike bags ?
Got a place to store your bikes ?
A family trip or just you and son ?
Carting bikes around Tassie for the rest of the trip ?

Bike hire works out around $100 a day, so factor in how many days you are riding and work it out from there.

Also, not that I have been there in May but there's a good chance it could be wet and might even have some trails closed.

Jabubu

In your excitement, you have left out a few details that may help answering your question.

How many days riding? 3-4 (depends on transit times, tiredness etc)
How many people? 2 (me and my son)
Flying or boat? Flying
Got bike bags? No
Got a place to store your bikes? The cabin?
A family trip or just you and son? The latter
Carting bikes around Tassie for the rest of the trip? Just Blue Derby and maybe St.Helens

Bike hire works out around $100 a day, so factor in how many days you are riding and work it out from there. Might be taking our own bikes. Depends on costs.

Also, not that I have been there in May but there's a good chance it could be wet and might even have some trails closed. Bugger

PJO

in me vL comy
Also, not that I have been there in May but there's a good chance it could be wet and might even have some trails closed.
Definitely this. Have been a number of times in May over the years and it has been wet each time. Makes for "exciting" riding at times.

Jabubu

Definitely this. Have been a number of times in May over the years and it has been wet each time. Makes for "exciting" riding at times.
I wonder if El Niño will dry things out next year...

ozzybmx

Are you only going to ride 3-4 days in Derby or other business ? How long is the whole trip ?

Taking a bike bag anywhere is a PITA and bulky.

If I was only riding 3-4 days and at that time of year, I'd be winging it and renting bikes as close to arrival as possible.

Jabubu

Are you only going to ride 3-4 days in Derby or other business ? How long is the whole trip ?

Taking a bike bag anywhere is a PITA and bulky.

If I was only riding 3-4 days and at that time of year, I'd be winging it and renting bikes as close to arrival as possible.
Just going there to ride, no doing anything else.

I was hoping I could break down both bikes into bike boxes and just have them collected from the airport to Blue Derby via a bus shuttle. Otherwise we're looking at $800 for hiring two bikes for four days.

ozzybmx

Just going there to ride, no doing anything else.

I was hoping I could break down both bikes into bike boxes and just have them collected from the airport to Blue Derby via a bus shuttle. Otherwise we're looking at $800 for hiring two bikes for four days.
Depending on who you fly with, excess baggage could be $50 each way per person.

Not sure how much the Airport pick up will be for 2 people as we have been in a group of 12 and it was part of the deal.

Lots of little hidden costs. Get looking in to it.

ozzybmx

I'd be doing everything possible to bring my own bikes, set up how I like them rather than faffing about with a rental which might not fit right or have the suspension dialled how you like it.
Agreed but for 3-4 days only, in possible wet conditions.

I've ridden Derby in the wet a few times, it's miserable compared to riding there in the dry.