Derby winter riding gear

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Off to Derby early July and wondering what is recommended riding attire? I've got a Ground Effect Frosty Boy riding jacket and some leg warmer thingies but not much else.

What do I need?

mark22

Likes Dirt
Derby could wet that time of year, most likely colddd bearing in mind Blue Tier starts in an alpine environment.
I would be taking a waterproof shell to go over that nice jacket and plenty of changes of clothes in case it is wet.

Awesome riding down there enjoy:thumb:

bhibbert

Likes Bikes
Sealskinz waterproof socks and some good gloves. Otherwise accept that you will not feel them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Warm gloves, shoe covers and layers. You'll get warm on the trail though even if it's cold and wet, pretty much all of the trails involved a decent amount of pedalling, really the only exceptions are Black Dragon, Flickety Sticks, Black Stump and 23 Stitches.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I pretty much ride all year round in Tassie with shorts, 3/4 or short sleeve shirt, standard issue gloves and knee pads. I might wear my seal socks if there is the odd shallow creek crossing. The trails in Derby are all fairly sheltered so wind chill is not and issue, it would only be if you got wet you would get cold. If it was raining fairly decent I would have a spray jacket and not stand around not riding for too long as that's where you get cold. Once you start riding you warm up pretty quick and also a backpack will keep the heat in as well. Riding on the road is different where you are out in the elements more.

nakedape

Likes Dirt
T-shirt and shorts (knee pads help) & accept that your feet will be wet (& shortly after, numb). A lightweight jacket for the epic rains (read sleet)

Sent from two tin cans joined by string

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Layers are the most important.
Up top, merino or thermal, jersey, and gilet or shell.knicks, Shorts and kneepads should be sufficient down bottom
Stay dry as much as you can, and be prepared for kit not to dry overnight

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got home from Derby. The advice on clothing was spot on! First ride I went out on was about 2pm and I went overboard. Base layer, wool long sleeve, beanie, windproof socks. 10 mins in and I was over heating and sweating my arse off. Learned my lesson quickly. Even was I was slightly cold I was too stoked with the quality of the trails to give a shit anyways.

Stredda

Just got home from Derby. The advice on clothing was spot on! First ride I went out on was about 2pm and I went overboard. Base layer, wool long sleeve, beanie, windproof socks. 10 mins in and I was over heating and sweating my arse off. Learned my lesson quickly. Even was I was slightly cold I was too stoked with the quality of the trails to give a shit anyways.
Good to hear! What trails did you manage to ride?

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Atlas. Flickity Sticks. Return to sender. Black dragon. Heaps of green link trails and dam busters. I'd go back in winter anytime. In fact I'd move there!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Stredda

Atlas. Flickity Sticks. Return to sender. Black dragon. Heaps of green link trails and dam busters. I'd go back in winter anytime. In fact I'd move there!
Nice! You got a few of the good ones done.