Devastating Downhill Crash- Queensland Sunshine Series 2013

timmy0081

Likes Dirt
*WATCH THE BIKE* - Chris Dalziel's horrific crash at the first round of the Queensland Sunshine Series that saw not only him but a child on the sideline taken out. Luckily Chris sustained no major injuries with the child shaken but not hurt. Two perfect examples of why you should always keep your skid lid on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKRSCWH7Rlc

my02

Likes Dirt
Ouch!

Very luck not to hurt himself badly. It sounds like he "only" concussed himself with a direct knock, but I wonder what the outcome of a neck brace might have been? Whereas it would have minimised excessive neck movement and therefore lowered the risk of C spine damage, he could also have been nursing a broken collarbone or two.

I hope he bought a lottery ticket.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Brutal stuff! That kid was absolutely smashed! Glad everyone's ok. Amazing. Interesting point about a brace my02.. Think you're on the money.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ouch!

Very luck not to hurt himself badly. It sounds like he "only" concussed himself with a direct knock, but I wonder what the outcome of a neck brace might have been? Whereas it would have minimised excessive neck movement and therefore lowered the risk of C spine damage, he could also have been nursing a broken collarbone or two.

I hope he bought a lottery ticket.
He was wearing a neckbrace in the video. I thought the idea of the leatt's though WAS to divert the pressure into your collarbone region as it's a more minor injury similar to how some ankle guards in sports such as volleyball and basketball are designed to put all the pressure into your shin's and giving you shin splints rather than destroying your ankle?

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
Love how nobody touches the rider (correctly), but the parent picks up the child straight away... No thought to any possible head/neck injury.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Sorry to stray off topic, but it seems as though a neck brace will resist most movement apart from flexion (chin to chest) which is the mechanism of almost all cervical spine fractures and spinal cord injuries. I don't know anything about neck braces so i'm not saying they're not effective, just unsure about how they work to prevent spinal injuries.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry to stray off topic, but it seems as though a neck brace will resist most movement apart from flexion (chin to chest) which is the mechanism of almost all cervical spine fractures and spinal cord injuries. I don't know anything about neck braces so i'm not saying they're not effective, just unsure about how they work to prevent spinal injuries.
Not claiming to know everything about neck brace design but I think for motorcross/downhill you're more likely to get a spinal injury from neck extension/compression. If you get sent over the bars and end up going head first into the ground, you're neck will extend as your feet tumble forward from all your momentum. Similarly if you go head first into a tree/rock in DH or the face of a jump in motorcross which would be the other common head related crashes, it'll compress your spine. Would almost have to flip your body around to flex your neck simply because of the momentum carrying you forward as you ride.

With all that said though, assuming your helmet size is correct and you wear your strap tight then there is a point where your helmet will catch so there is some flexion protection on the leatt's at least (that's from my experience with wearing mine own).

matt24

Likes Dirt
Leatte have a web series explaining how the neck brace works an dispelling any myths. I can't race mx without wearing mine feels like I have no helmet on if I do.

chops

Likes Dirt
Nasty crash there, thats pretty much the same crash as i had and compressed and broke my back bit over 5 weeks ago, but more of a reason why people should wear a neck brace or atleast give them a try cause if i didnt have one on i wouldnt be walking or alive according to the doctor.

static_X3

Likes Dirt
Love how nobody touches the rider (correctly), but the parent picks up the child straight away... No thought to any possible head/neck injury.
The parents a double douche... terrible place to watch with an ankle biter. This is why OH&S exists, because some people dont have any common sense!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2