Dexa scan?

Peter650

Likes Dirt
Have any of you guys, invested in a dexa scan? I'm thinking it could be worthwhile. If you have one every 3 months or so. Just to make sure your diet, & training are still on point.

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
yeah i had one few years ago, only because the clinic i was working at had one and it was free
fairly useless i think unless you have unlimited money, tho they arent super expensive why bother when you can eat well and look in the mirror and get all the answers you need

Peter650

Likes Dirt
Gday Trickymac because say you are 80kg and want to drop 10kg of fat ( but you don't want to lose muscle mass). Scales and the mirror are not really accurate. It's only $80 a go. You look at how much money, out of shape people spend, on the lightest, & greatest bike's. They would of been heaps better off. Keeping 95% of their money, and just get fitter. Obviously if you are already fit say around 11% body fat, & you just wanted to tighten up a bit. A dexa scan is not necessary. This more for the sort of people that don't have any muscle definition yet because their body fat % is to high. Or a road cyclists that have a low muscle mass, & they want to increase it without putting to much fat on. Because they have finally realized that MTBing is heaps more fun, than road riding

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have any of you guys, invested in a dexa scan? I'm thinking it could be worthwhile. If you have one every 3 months or so. Just to make sure your diet, & training are still on point.
what would be more useful is your power output and a plan to increase it - an ftp test.

you would get a skin fold test as part of that, look at your nutrition and most importantly your power figures and your potential along with a training plan.

your ftp is really the most objective measure of your cycling potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtKTdf9yhZE

p2;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uromCdeIuFg

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
If the goal is to drop fat mass and maintain muscle mass, it makes a lot of sense to get a DEXA done, it's the gold standard and possibly cheaper than paying someone who actual has the skill to do skin fold correctly.

I use the one at work on occasion, I find it helps with motivation.