DH etiquette

old4dy

Likes Dirt
what a lively discussion, amongst DHers, as a newbie to dh as in racing i found this very informative, as iwill be able to put it into practice in the coming dh season , as i will be amongst the grandfathers of this crazy sport to one and all keep the shiny side up

scissors

Likes Bikes
Very good thread!

That should be read by everyone! i mean it! I am starting out and have to say, that helped me heaps... after reading that i wasn't lost when someone yelled track, i just pulled off to the side and let them pass.

P.S. Thredbo is an awesome track!

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
- Do NOT EVER push in line for shuttles or chair rides. This pisses everyone off, and if there are other people using the service then you also give mountain biking as a whole a bad reputation. If you are seen by a race official, you may well be disqualified too.

as for cutting the shuttle lines, it is a shame when it happens. if i had enough volunteers i would definately make sure there was someone policing that. what do you think the punishment for cutting the line should be?
disqualification seems a bit too harsh, maybe just a trip to the back of the line?
second offence and it's the end of practice for you, no more runs today.
Sooooooo true. I'm getting really, really, reaaaallly sick of the amount of people cutting in the lines. It's stupidness. Now I'v decided to voice my opinion about it and say "man, I really hate those fucking cutters" just loud enough so they hear it, and decide to go to the back of the line. Don't cut shuttles; your just giving yourself a bad rep, and pissing everyone else off.

On another note, I had to move through the shuttle queue to get to the carpark after my run at Yackandandah a few weeks ago. A rider asked me why I wanted to get infront of him, so I could push in. This is what we need. I was shocked that I was asked, but upon reflection, if everyone did this when someone pushed in, the people pushing would feel hell guilty and stop.

A-No riding without a helmet peak ( If you break it you must pull out of race )
Incorrect. If you smash your visor off, you must make every attempt to glue, bolt, zip tie the bugger on.

manika

Likes Bikes
What about spectators

Hey, could I bring up spectator etiquette here, or should it be in a new thread? I just want to know how all you racing types feel about spectators screaming and whoopin' and carrying on when a rider passes them. Is this a distraction?
I also feel that its good when spectators encourage riders who aren't doing too well, but can that go too far?

Good thread this.:)

demo man

Used to be cool.
The more people cheering on riders the better - it pushes people harder and creates a great atmosphere. It makes it more fun to spectate for those outside of the sport and makes it look better on camera for TV and DVDs.

People yelling 'pussy' and stuff isn't as good though, unless they personally know the person well enough that they know it's wont offend them etc. (i.e. it wouldn't be cool to yell 'pussy' at a younger rider or nervous looking rider going slowly through a section, even if they mean to motivate them).

But yeah, positive cheering is great, go right ahead. Just stay the fark out of the way, and make sure you don't knock shit onto the track or anything.

Air time erik

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The more people cheering on riders the better - it pushes people harder and creates a great atmosphere. It makes it more fun to spectate for those outside of the sport and makes it look better on camera for TV and DVDs.

People yelling 'pussy' and stuff isn't as good though, unless they personally know the person well enough that they know it's wont offend them etc. (i.e. it wouldn't be cool to yell 'pussy' at a younger rider or nervous looking rider going slowly through a section, even if they mean to motivate them).

But yeah, positive cheering is great, go right ahead. Just stay the fark out of the way, and make sure you don't knock shit onto the track or anything.
You should be at a QLD sunshine series DH round.

joy boy

Likes Dirt
one thing about passing - and only for actual "race runs". The fastest rider doesn't have to be paitent, they have a right to not be hindered by a slower rider. So, slower riders, if you are caught in a race run - game over - get off the track and let the person go past you - there is always somewhere to get off a track - even if it means you have to jump off your bike. If you are caught, your race is pretty much over and trying to get a good time to compete with yourself or your mates isn't cool if it's at the expense of another rider's run.

peace.
that's not right, I mean, for less experienced riders like myself, sometimes it's pretty damn hard to stop. for example, going down a chute, you're meant to go fast down it, with no brakes if possibles, but if you hear someone behind you, you don't jam on the brakes and get off the track do you, you wait untill you're at the bottom. We're just trying to have fun like you, and fun isn't jumping off a berm to get out of the road.

farmboy

Squid
The best most fool proof method of nobody having a bad run is to talk with your fellow riders. That way you can work out the gaps that are needed for all to enjoy there ride. Most timing systems and timers can allow for this. If you do not ask you will not get. If you are caught you are at best 30sec off the pace GET OUT OF THE WAY no if's or but's if you have entered the chute contiune to say off your brakes and then GET OUT OF THE WAY your are at best 30sec's off the pace accept the fact and GET OUT OF THE WAY. You could always use it as motivation and push yourself faster and try not to get caught. I use it the other way and try to catch the person in front not that i can but it's fun to try ;)

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Hey, could I bring up spectator etiquette here, or should it be in a new thread?
Most important things for spectators is
a)Stay off the track and listen to the Marshals and
b)Take you farkin rubbish with you

Nothing better than having a bunch of folk cheering you on and even heckling you.

Nothing worse than spending the next week tramping up and down the track picking up coke/beer bottles and chip packets

greydaniel

Likes Bikes
Thank you everyone for input

I have been riding mountain bikes for over 15 years now and have seen and experienced many different things on the trails. I have found this thread very informative and it has given me a lot to think about when out and about.

Thanks everyone, I hope many riders get some benefit from these pages and overall RESPECT others and continue to get down the mountain as fast and as safely as they can!! After all, thats what DH is all about!!!

Cheers!

Dug

Likes Dirt
Complaining

Simple , Don't ...............Get off your arse and volunteer to help. My first comp race was at Awaba. First practice run solwly but sucsessful. Second practice launched off the top of the rock garden. Day Done.... Back still hurts but I look better in a brace.. Heh heh Herd some complaining about hoow hard it was.... Well Derrr Now if they will only open the bloody thing so I can beat it... Now its personal....

Volunteers do it for nothing so always be nice..

Oh yea great posting.....

Last edited:

Hardtail89

Likes Bikes
Awesome post, its good that someone has gone through the rules for youngin's and newbies so they don't get in the way of other racers. I've had my fair share of angry spills!

Hoppalong

Likes Bikes
I've been in alot of these situations where either the other rider or myself have been in the wrong, hopefully this will sort out these problems, it has for me.
Thanks!