DH seatpost height

RichJS

Likes Dirt
So, anyone know what BB-to-saddle-rail height any serious/pro DH riders use as well as what's on the same rider's XC/road bikes?

Seems like every year for the last few years droppers have gotten longer, with the latest/longest post being touted as "game changer" by reviewers / anyone who needs a little confirmation bias to go with their latest $500 purchase.

Sarcasm aside, I'm sure there are plenty of people enjoying their 220mm dropper .. but it from my own very-not-elite experience, and looking at pics of pro's DH bikes it seems like a lot of DH saddles are 100-150mm saddle lower than they might use on XC/road. I'm curious to hear if anyone has some high-level rider's numbers.

moorey

call me Mia
I still race DH…badly…and for me, it varies a little with the track. If it’s steep and techy, as low as I can without the tyre scrubbing at full suspension compression. If it’s a track that will have a few pedal spots, and I know I’ll have a short sit down to pedal/rest, a little higher.
That said, sold the DH bike last year and now race on an overbuilt enduro/am bike with a dropper.
People’s preferences will vary. I want my seat out of the way as much as possible.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I run my post slammed as low as I can on my dh, fr, and as bikes, but don't do anything competitively.

For a while now a lot of dh and enduro rides seem to be smashing the downs with set posts a lot higher than I would enjoy. I was watching a bit of @chimpy latest efforts earlier and his seat post position doesn't appear to be slowing him down!

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I haven't ridden anything DH in quite a while, but I used to run my seat a bit higher than most, as I really used my thighs to control & corner the bike when needed.

Comparitively, on my Enduro bike which gets all the riding these days, I drop it further than I used to run my DH seat height. 178cm with longer torso, 735mm BB to saddle top, and run a 185mm Dropper.