DH shoes. Five Ten vs Rivers shoes

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey m8.
Just get some good qaulity skate shoes.
They always do a fine job and cost less then a lot of MTB shoes.
Just go to ur local surf shop and they can hook you up.
Mine have lasted me 2 years now.

2 years? What shoe are you sporting?

I buy Etnies but they last 6 months tops before they are in "to shite to ride in" condition. They serve the rest of their life as gardening/work shoes.

I WILL be buying some 5/10's for my christmas present. One pair of these for 12 months is now cheaper than 2 pairs of skatey's........and who the hell drove the price of new skate shoes up to the 120-150 mark? :mad:

DIRT ROCKS N TREES

Likes Bikes
rivers are the go ,on a buget who needs the bling mine lasted more than 2 years and ive updated got two new pairs cc rivers and dh rivers only thing is there made overseas now, orignals were made local but new ones seem durable and well worth your $35.00

Ty

Eats Squid
just because something lasts for ever doesn't mean it's good, somethings, like rubber, need to be soft and to do the job they are meant to do, ie, grip to stuff. That said a line has to be drawn between performance and durability.

anyone remember IRC Kujos? those things would last like 2 seasons, but it doesn't mean they were good.

Trizender

Likes Dirt
I was just trying to make the point, if you have no cash $170 is still a lot. As Daver said it is all relative. I saw the price of five tens as good value and purchased, as a matter of fact I'm heading up to Hornsby R'e in them right now. Mountain bike shoes you can wear to the rissole, gotta love that.
If I ever see someone at the Hornsby RSL wearing 5.10s I'm going to call out "Hey Fatman!". I hope it's you. Low tops or high tops?

zac

Likes Dirt
I'll start this off by saying I don't race, so may not necessarily be as hard on my shoes as the rest of you lot. In saying that though, I do ride a hardtail for all types of riding, including DH through rocky shite, and I've never had a problem with the shoes i wear - Asics gel Kayano cross trainers. They grip like nothing I've ever tried (even on wet rock climbing mount warning, and wet roots walking through Springbrook and up at Tambourine), and after four years of wearing them walking, to Uni, riding, wearing them pretty much every day for everything they're only just giving up the ghost now. Even as worn as they are (the tread's gone around the ball of the foot, just down to soft rubber) they're still the best I've ever tried, for anything from running to riding and beyond.

Callum

Likes Bikes
I ride DCs and they have awesome grip, look alright and are real comfortable.
Had them for a year and wore them for going out, and for the last year they have just been my shit kickin shoes that i wear riding every day, digging, at work and whatever. The top part of the shoe has no stitching breaks, the double stitching is awesome. The sole is in pretty good condition aswel, and they cost about $60 less than 5-10s.
Deffinately stood the durablity test and have sweet grip (You could probably get thongs to grip good to soljam vipers though).

josho919

Likes Bikes
i would go five tens over any shoes inless your riding xc, if you have a good peddal and five tens your feet will not come off the paddals, they are a bit on the expensive side but well worth it.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
all my mates who used to use regular skate shoes thought they had awesome grip until they got five tens, when they relised that comments i made saying your foot NEVER moved and it was like clips grip wise were actually true, they are never going anything else now

stinkyboy69

Likes Dirt
Are shoes meant to be good looking? Are spectators going to be pointing out what shoes your wearing when you go past them in a race?

Don't think so.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reminds me of the quote that I saw sigged recently...

"I know Fox are good, but I mainly care about looks..."

Priceless :rolleyes: