DH wheelset help needed

dunndog

Eats Squid
ex823 on hope pro 2, dt swiss double butted spokes, front and rear, $435. Ordered mine last week. i got silver spokes, black are a little more, I also didn't get a cassette or nipple upgrade. great value.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nukeproof Generator hubs are awesome, I have some on my bike. I've had Hope Pro II's but they are noisy and really annoying when pushing up.

Reece.

Likes Dirt
ex823 on hope pro 2, dt swiss double butted spokes, front and rear, $435. Ordered mine last week. i got silver spokes, black are a little more, I also didn't get a cassette or nipple upgrade. great value.
LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!!
I run 721's on pros and have not had 1 single problem in 13 months of running them!
Either the 721 or the 823 would be all i would go!
I didnt opt for the nipple upgrade as I didnt see it as a viable upgrade but did go the double butted spokes. On my 'everything bike' i have 721's on hope 2's not spoke upgrade or nipple upgrade and LOVE those wheels too. So either way you will have a winning wheel set!
Also

glory14

Likes Dirt
Nukeproof Generator hubs are awesome, I have some on my bike. I've had Hope Pro II's but they are noisy and really annoying when pushing up.
i like the nosie that the make i wish that it was even nosier like a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

driftking

Wheel size expert
ex823 on hope pro 2, dt swiss double butted spokes, front and rear, $435. great value.
I clicked on this thread to say what dunndog said right there.
brillant set of wheels.
Id go with the nipple upgrade just because its there and its a new set, thats really the only reason. But the double butted spokes are a must for sure.
If you want lighter go with deemax they are essentially a ex823 with less spoke holes and lighter,not worth the cash IMO.

Last edited:

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
Hey guys
Just a quick question, im going to buy a new wheelset for this season.

Im going to go with the 823,Hope pro2 combo that Dunndog mentioned.
Do you guys reccomend 32h or 36h??

But i got some questions after reading the reviews on crc.

does anyone know the difference between:

the hope pro 2 rear hub
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7567

and the hope pro 2 XL rear hub
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7568

The XL hub just looks like a more expensive 'stretched' 135mm hub. What would be stronger???
Also i read that people have had problems with cassettes digging in the the ally freewheel hub. Anyone else had that problem??

Cheers

Last edited:

mountain_man(1)

Likes Dirt
Im going to go with the 823,Hope pro2 combo that Dunndog mentioned.
Do you guys reccomend 32h or 36h??

Also i read that people have had problems with cassettes digging in the the ally freewheel hub. Anyone else had that problem??
I've been running 721's on ProII's for 2years, no problems to report, the freewheel is made of alloy and yes they do get chewed up, but mines still not bad enough that it needs to be replaced yet. (you can buy replacement freewheels so thats always a plus)

Next set of wheels i think i might go 823's just because tubeless will be infinitely easier and more beneficial in terms of weight over converting 721's.