Did the Chaser go too far?

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
News Limited is reporting that last night's The Eulogy Song on the Chaser's war caused a "flood" of complaints.

The SMH (below) and subsequent News reporting disputes the earlier report.

Do you agree? Was the Chaser wrong to defame dead celebrities?

I agree totally with Chris Taylor: ""The song was intending to make a point about people who are flawed in life who are disproportionately hailed as saints in death...You see it time and time again, people almost incorrectly eulogised and people very quickly forget what the person was like when they were alive." And I have the Farkin posts to prove it.

Once again Chaser have proven just how funny and accurate they are.

Few complaints over Chaser song (SMH)
A member of the ABC's Chaser comedy team has admitted a song attacking famous dead Australians including Sir Donald Bradman and Steve Irwin was offensive, but says it has not attracted many official complaints.

Chris Taylor wrote The Eulogy Song song, which criticised the way deceased celebrities were "eulogised" by the public. It was performed by Andrew Hansen on ABC TV last night.

It refers to radio host Stan Zemanek as a xenophobic racist jock "whose views were more malignant than his brain", and labels Kerry Packer a "tax cheat" and cricketer Sir Donald Bradman a "total farce" and a "grump".

According to a report by News Limited this morning, irate viewers called ABC to complain about the song and talkback radio had also been inundated with comments.

But Taylor said he was not aware of a large number of complaints.

"As of 10 minutes ago, there had only been six official calls to the ABC [about the song], and three were to say congratulations," he said.

"The song was intending to make a point about people who are flawed in life who are disproportionately hailed as saints in death.

"You see it time and time again, people almost incorrectly eulogised and people very quickly forget what the person was like when they were alive."

The song was offensive, but in a "nodding, winking at the audience" way, he said.

Despite the program's title, The Chaser's War on Everything, Taylor accepted it was possible for the program to go "too far" in pursuit of a laugh.

"It's a question we always deal with ... this song, in a way, is about that very issue," Taylor said.

"When we mentioned Belinda Emmett and stopped, that's our way of saying that's going too far."

During the program last night, the song's performance was terminated just as Hansen refers to Belinda Emmett, who died of cancer last year.

"I think Belinda Emmett is untouchable ... because unlike other people in the song, I'm personally not aware of any flaws or hypocrisy in her life - she was just the victim of a cruel and undiscriminating disease.

"There's no comedy in that.

"I think other people, for example Kerry Packer and Stan Zemanek, were clearly flawed people who we felt were getting the kind of eulogy in death that seemed a little heavily air-brushed."

The Chaser team has attracted criticism for a number of audacious stunts this year, most notably when cast member Chas Licciardello breached APEC security dressed as Osama bin Laden.

But the cast was not overly concerned with adverse reaction to their stunts, Taylor said.

"I don't think we sit down and have a soul-searching debrief about this sort of thing," he said.

"We've been doing this for six years, and have a pretty good idea about where public attitudes are.

"I've been interested to see Chris Lilley's show (Summer Heights High, which also airs on ABC TV) copping similar criticism for daring to talk about issues like rape or death."

Preliminary ratings figures showed last night's episode was watched by 1.5 million viewers.

Last edited:

kizza01

Likes Dirt
No i dont think that they did.

They stopped before Belinda Emmet. That would have been a little distasteful i think. The other dead celebs were just a bit of fun. The Stan Zemanek one was classic.

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
News Limited is reporting that last night's The Eulogy Song on the Chaser's war caused a "flood" of complaints.

The SMH (below) and subsequent News reporting disputes the earlier report.

Do you agree? Was the Chaser wrong to defame dead celebrities?

I agree totally with Chris Taylor: ""The song was intending to make a point about people who are flawed in life who are disproportionately hailed as saints in death...You see it time and time again, people almost incorrectly eulogised and people very quickly forget what the person was like when they were alive." And I have the Farkin posts to prove it.

Once again Chaser have proven just how funny and accurate they are.
Total agreement here. Zemanek was a prick and Packer was a bastard. I remember Miriam Margolyes on Denton a couple of weeks ago saying that she loved Australia because of the absence of a class system "doesn't matter who you are, people still tell you to fuck off!". I reckon we should keep it that way.

This kind of whingeing (ringing up the ABC cause you didn't like a joke) pisses me off. You don't even have to leave the couch to turn the TV off anymore. After APEC especially everyone knows what the Chaser is about, deal with it.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
This kind of whingeing (ringing up the ABC cause you didn't like a joke) pisses me off. You don't even have to leave the couch to turn the TV off anymore. After APEC especially everyone knows what the Chaser is about, deal with it.
damn straight! if you know you are easily offended by controversial jokes and stunts, don't watch chasers! simple as that.

Kingswood

Likes Dirt
I was laughing and shocked at the same time.

It is an easy habit to put dead people off-limits, no matter how much of a prick someone may have been.

So good on them. I thought Stan Zemanek was a completely repulsive person, just cause he died doesn't change all the crap he did and said.

stoff

Likes Dirt
I thought the line about Princess Di might have been a bit crude (no problem with the victim, just the delivery - they don't really need to drop to that level), but apart from that no problems with it.

RCOH

Eats Squid
^^

I am sure you are aware of the irony in the above post...but I thought i'd point it out anyway :p

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I personally thought it was one of the better items that has been on the chaser this season.

McPete

Likes Dirt
It's what they do best, and I loved it. Shock value was wonderful, the utter irreverence and just the fact that they're pretty much correct make it a wonderful thing to behold. I'd agree in saying some lines were a bit crude, but I'd reckon that's intentional. Loved the powernapping too :p

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
It may have been a little 'shocking' or 'distasteful' for some viewers, but it doesn't detract from the fact they were smack bang on the truth. I don't think an issue like this should be seen as taboo - it's reality. Stan Zemanek was a prick, and Kerry Packer was a bastard.

I'll drink to that.

Viv92

Eats Squid
If people are going to get offended by these things they should just stay the hell away from the chasers. It's pretty easy just not to watch the show. Plus people are taking this Steve Irwin thing way to far, it was gonna happen one day with the things he was doing with animals. Sure he seemed like a pretty cool guy but there's no need to get so uptight about it. IMO people need to get over dead people. Sure you have to pay respect and all, but your allowed to have a laugh every now and again, it's not like the dead guy is gonna care.

J-ack

Banned
IMO it's by far the cleverest thing I've seen on the Chaser for as long as I've been watching. Glad they stopped before Belinda Emmett though.

Mr Peabody

Likes Dirt
It was probably only John Howard ringing up to complain as he got mocked the whole show. Wonder if these guys will be allowed another season with all the shit happeing this year with them.

Mr Peabody

Likes Dirt
Glasshouse had a huge viewing audience and got axed, allegedly because Howard said so, so these guys are treading on toes of their pay master

maxsull

Likes Dirt
Surely the people who didnt like the song knew that there would be somthing like that on the show, as there have been so many complaints about previous episodes containing the same content. Really Stupid:confused:

Great show though:)