Did the Chaser go too far?

Nabdaddy

Likes Dirt
personally i thought that episode was very funny... the song at the end is not what i was slightly peeeved about, it was the fact how much they payed out Howard.

To be honest i think they skate on thin ice way too much. They need to dumb it down a tad i think.

My 2 cents

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I talked to my Dad about it and he thinks it's in part due to the fact that the dead can't defend themselves.
He's obviously never seen any of George A Romero's work then...

Personally, I can't help but feel that it's bugger all of a joke and the medias outrage is completely over the top.

This shit was being done way better and waaay more controversial years ago with British comedian Chris Morris and his Brass Eye (spoof current affairs show) special on paedophillia back in 2001. You really couldn't get much closer to the bone than that and the resulting outrage was so over the top (calls for hanging to be re-introduced by irate letter writers in the tabloids, questions raised in the houses of parliament, condemnation by MPs who then had to confess that they hadn't actually seen the offending episode) that the programme makers had managed to completely justify their actions by exposing the rabid lust for sensationalism and false morality within the media.

Here's a bit of wikipedia info on the show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_Eye_Special you can find the full episode on youtube

danv

Likes Dirt
Again the Chaser pushes the boundarys of social acceptability as well as maturity...

The only problem I had with the song was that it was kind of lame. I love the chaser, but I think often their jokes are pretty stupid. It just wasn't funny and had no wit to it. I was not offended or anything of that nature, I thought they made a valid point, they just didn't make it in a particularly interesting, witty, intelligent, or humorous way.

When their stunts are good, they're really good. But I find that more than half of every episode is just crap i have to sit through to get to the good stuff. They need to inject some more wit and intelligence into their show. Combining that with their ability for public stunts would be absolute gold.
Most of their studio recorded skits are horrible. Although I am liking this new election segment.

andrew_o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally I believe they should of left the people who are deceased out of the song. The reason why a lot of people are infuriated is because they took the piss out of the people who are deceased and can not defend themselves about what is being said about them and they didn't have the guts to pay them out when they are alive. That is my oppinion of the situation.

danv

Likes Dirt
Personally I believe they should of left the people who are deceased out of the song. The reason why a lot of people are infuriated is because they took the piss out of the people who are deceased and can not defend themselves about what is being said about them and they didn't have the guts to pay them out when they are alive. That is my oppinion of the situation.
If they left the dead people out there would be no song. I'm sure they had the guts to pay those people out when they were alive, and did so.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
hahaha you're joking, right?

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lamest arguement ever. So what? 50% of Australia's population is dead?

Dead or alive - doesn't matter. If the Chasers wanna give you 'what for' then they will.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
*ZOOM*

*makes gesture of hand flying straight over head.

kyleman

Likes Dirt
If you dont like it dont watch it.
Good on 'em for not giving a crap about what will happen to themselves. There funny..thats all that matters.
I lol'ed

will never cross the line

the chaser's will never cross the line, everything they do is halerious. Plus when they do go to far they know to stop, for example they turned around at apec a smart move.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
*ZOOM*

*makes gesture of hand flying straight over head.
If I was a computer savvy young person I would have said something like "LOL" to your post. Instead I'll say that is the funniest response to another post I have read ever and I laughed out loud like never before.

andrew_o, the title "The Chaser's War On EVERYTHING" should alert you to the fact that nothing is off limits to these blokes, and if they didn't have to jam their show into a half hour time slot then maybe these not so nice people would have got more of the same or similar when they had a pulse. If you're prepared to enter a security zone knowing that US Secret Service people WILL shoot you if they want to means that the Chaser boys put their all into the show.

I'm uncool enough to listen to JJJ and Chris Taylor was on today. He explained that the purpose of the song is to highlight the media's ability to "airbrush" people that aren't all that great alive into something angelic in death. Like it or not, they have a point.

Doff the cap to that!

|Matt|

Banned
I'm just glad Dumbelina didn't call them the CHASERS, god that shits me. They are the CHASER!

I didn't hear the song, but I think if people put themselves in the limelight and make themselves famous, I think that they should be expecting that someone, somewhere might make fun of them even after they die.

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its chasers war on everything, everything is meant to be controversial on that show. I'll admit some of their stuff might have gone too far, but its just meant to be a joke.

brad of sydney

Likes Dirt
I'm just glad Dumbelina didn't call them the CHASERS, god that shits me. They are the CHASER!

I didn't hear the song, but I think if people put themselves in the limelight and make themselves famous, I think that they should be expecting that someone, somewhere might make fun of them even after they die.

heres the link to that song
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hLVsIpejFgM
i loved the bit about anna corren at the end, they give her so much s**t.
brad

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Why? Brocky had his flaws, so did Steve, although both were idolised by the masses before death anyway.

eternalgorias

Likes Dirt
All I know is I was pissing myself. It was hilarious, so was Doc Brown trying to convince Howard to travel through time to stop work choices. I was in tears by the end of that episode.