differing bike warranty discussion

link1896

Mr Greenfield
^...retailers that want you to pay them the rebuild your warranty frame in a situation like that above, especially when the original was purchased through them.
That is when you start spewing ACL wording. They have dodged a bullet with the warranty, they took the risk for a financial return, workshop labour is on them.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recall reading something similar for a brand. They're a well known brand and it was enough to push them down my list of bikes / frames to buy.

Whenever I've had an issue with frames the retailer took care of it and never charged me a cent to rectify or rebuild.

slowmick

38-39"
For me it was pay for the new bits to suit the new standards on the replacement frame and then pay a build fee on top. It was nice to have 2 frames replaced under warranty but won't be buying another bike from that brand. It was a very expensive exercise. I am not surprised that many of the warranty frames wind up for sale and the owners move on to another brand.

teK--

Eats Squid
For me it was pay for the new bits to suit the new standards on the replacement frame and then pay a build fee on top. It was nice to have 2 frames replaced under warranty but won't be buying another bike from that brand. It was a very expensive exercise. I am not surprised that many of the warranty frames wind up for sale and the owners move on to another brand.
If they can't replace the same frame or an agreeable equivalent at no cost to you, then they have to refund you the purchase price of the item. Sometimes some depreciation calculation is permissible if it was for example a well ridden 3 year old bike that otherwise wasn't constantly in the shop for repair.

For them to say the new frame has new standards that won't fit your old parts, and then make you pay for new parts to-fit, is not acceptable. Unfortunately most shops or manufacturers will try it on the customer anyway and it is the ill informed that end up paying.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd have been incensed over that. Definitely would have looked to put someone on the news if they insisted on that approach.

One brand who shall remain nameless tried something similar with me. They did eventually change their position and thankfully I was patient and determined.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was bummed with a recent anthem replacement frame they wouldn't just give me the frame, it had to be built up and handed back as a bike according to them. It was free so I didn't mind.

goobags

Likes Dirt
^...retailers that want you to pay them the rebuild your warranty frame in a situation like that above, especially when the original was purchased through them.
There is a local shop who has on two known occasions to an immediate friend charged them for labour regarding warranty work. Not a full rebuild but still. I refuse to spend a cent in that store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Well I've just broken my frame, lifetime warranty they say.. Its before the latest standard so nothing will fit onto a new frame. Interesting to see what happens

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a rear triangle replaced under warranty on an obsolete 12x142 frame. Took many months but the company tracked one down.. Lucky enough the bike was rideable during that period. I had just built up carbon wheels with Chris King hubs so really did not want to have to sell them to go boost proper..

Flow-Rider

Burner
A bit off topic but it made me think today of how many people get tricked into serving bikes or parts when the initial problem was warranty related. Second KS dropper post that I've found with loose parts in it that caused issues, one was the endcap had come loose on a cable mast dropper and second was a loose shaft gland nut on an KS Integra, both droppers were old but didn't have a lot of use on them. I've still got a third one that's had warranty work done within the first day of use, which was never bled right.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bit off topic but it made me think today of how many people get tricked into serving bikes or parts when the initial problem was warranty related. Second KS dropper post that I've found with loose parts in it that caused issues, one was the endcap had come loose on a cable mast dropper and second was a loose shaft gland nut on an KS Integra, both droppers were old but didn't have a lot of use on them. I've still got a third one that's had warranty work done within the first day of use, which was never bled right.
The saddle clamps on the lev are shite as well..

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The big S used to require that all warranty frames were built up by an authorised dealer to maintain the warranty. Seems they have changed their words in the last few years or my google fu is crap.
It may be that company I am dealing with.. The frame box came with huge letters that said "must be assembled by authorised bike shop", or words to that effect..

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Oh for fucks sake can we just mention brands.
I ride Giant currently (mtb and road) the last one I cracked was replaced with no question and at zero cost to me. I cracked a merida again zero problems on warranty. I also broke a norco hardtail I raced nat DH on (literally every weld had a crack) again zero problems with warranty was upgraded to a better newer model (no standards issue).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nothing wrong with a good name and shame @Paulie_AU! I want the dirt on who to avoid, and I am fairly confident speshhhhhhhhhhiaaaaaaaallllized is going to top the list.

Minlak

custom titis
There is a hundred people from a hundred suppliers that are super happy. There is a hundred people from a hundred suppliers that are super unhappy.
The real problem is getting the “real story” so many people have a sook how they are being wronged but recollect the experience painting themselves in as a saint and the supplier the devil.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There is a hundred people from a hundred suppliers that are super happy. There is a hundred people from a hundred suppliers that are super unhappy.
The real problem is getting the “real story” so many people have a sook how they are being wronged but recollect the experience painting themselves in as a saint and the supplier the devil.

I am a saint! I promise.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Probably should put the flame suit on but in many respects I think the warranties on bikes are awesome. Where else do you get to buy something, fling it at and over rocks, trees, mud, jumps etc and still say 'JRA'? Don't get me wrong there are some bad outcomes there but also some great ones.

The thing that surprises me at times is how little value people place on warranty - if you buy a second hand 'near new' bike and the warranty isn't transferred then the difference in price is really the warranty. Especially with brands, models that have a rep for breaking.