Digital TV

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
So, what with the big push from Canberra for everyone to join the digital revolution, who has and how have you found it? We are only talking free to air stuff here, not cable or satellite.

Despite 3 attempts at relocating my antenna and purchasing 2 new antennas (recommended by the antenna tech) , neither of which were/are any better than the previous item I am still getting MAJOR pixellation on any of the TEN channels such as Sydney/Newcastle/Wyong/Southern Cross 10. Also most SBS channels are patchy.

Now I understand that this all goes to poo with heavy weather but to not be able to watch any 10 signals with a cloudless sky and no wind is a bit of a stretch. :confused:

Now the last antenna guy came out today for the third time and checked our signal, which is above average strength, and his comment was 'live with it, nothing I can do , Sorry.'

As a background we have a new masthead amplifier and new cables and splitter, all installed by the last guy about 2 months ago.

Personally I dont care about 10 but not being able to watch SBS pisses me off somewhat. So I suppose the question is ," Is anyone in the NSW central coast/ Newcastle region pissed off with 10 picture quality?"

Keen to hear as I am tearing our what is left of my hair:mad:

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Well word the street is that keven rudd likes to watch his "the nanny" in HD. Although that may not be true, as i just made it up.

Little T

Likes Dirt
You could try an antenna signal amplifier to try and get SBS and TEN's picture clear. Usually they can be bought from electrical stores like dicksmiths, etc.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could try an antenna signal amplifier to try and get SBS and TEN's picture clear. Usually they can be bought from electrical stores like dicksmiths, etc.
Although it may help, The thing with digital is its either there or not at all....So an amplifier wont really help the pixellation.

Is the antenna pointing in the right direction? Also have you tried all the different channels? Channel Ten broadcasts on 10, 005, and 55 .Can you get One HD?

Im surprised you cant get SBS :confused: You can definitely get ABC right? If you can get ABC and not SBS I would call Broadcast Australia, that should be broadcasting from the same point.

Try other channels, sometimes it happens here on the coast with NBN, 008 wont work but 080 will

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter

will back that up, when we got our first set top box, money moons ago, it was dreadfull, to the point where we didnt use it, then our new tele had the "tuna" inside.. and we decided to do something..

got a signal amplifier of ebay.. it imporved receptiong %4708... this may be a made up figure, but it improved it ridiculously well! so i would not listen to "3viltoast3r" abouve.

wtf is everyones fonts weird, has the defualt changed?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
will back that up, when we got our first set top box, money moons ago, it was dreadfull, to the point where we didnt use it, then our new tele had the "tuna" inside.. and we decided to do something..

got a signal amplifier of ebay.. it imporved receptiong %4708... this may be a made up figure, but it improved it ridiculously well! so i would not listen to "3viltoast3r" abouve.
Your right, ignore the variable which changed just to make me wrong...

Last edited:

sawtell

Your right, ignore the variable which changed just to make me wrong...
ahhbaaahh?

sorry i read your post as, dont bother with a amplifier, it will not help you at all.

and i was saying that in my case, it helped, ALOT.

and we had similiar cricumstances, could hardly see a thing on most channels due to the picture and sound being constanly "broken up".

once again, sorry if you took it to heart....

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ahhbaaahh?

sorry i read your post as, dont bother with a amplifier, it will not help you at all.

and i was saying that in my case, it helped, ALOT.

and we had similiar cricumstances, could hardly see a thing on most channels due to the picture and sound being constanly "broken up".

once again, sorry if you took it to heart....
Oh whoops.

..But im still failing to see how the amplifier significantly improves digital signal quality - How many TV's is it being split over? Also what TV/receiver is it?

Last edited:

sawtell

Oh whoops.

..But im still failing to see how the amplifier significantly improves digital signal quality - How many TV's is it being split over? Also what TV/receiver is it?
i think i could have had a different problem tbh.
three tele's plugged in, but only one is ever on.

we found that our Panasonic received the single alot better then our samsung and lg. as in, the panasonic would have crystal clear, while the other one or two would be blotchy, same channel same time.

also found that if both were on at the same time, the panasonic would always be "playing stuff first", as in the lg or samsung, would actualy be up to a 2 seconds behind... was odd.

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
New amplifier put on 2 months ago,
4 tv's all HD lcd, 1 sony bravia + Sony hdd recorder with sd tuner, pic is marginally better through HDD recorder,+ 3 toshiba's in bedrooms.
3 toshibas are better than the sony but not perfect.
ABC is ok but due to the fact we never watch it we could be assuming it's better than SBS.
Local channel 10 repeaters are just as bad.
For the locals, antenna was aimed at Forresters, trees growing farked that up, now Sugarloaf.
Like Sawtell, we also have delay for same channels, about half a second I guess....