Dirt Works NSW 100K 2010

drew.d

Likes Bikes
yeah! I can pay $20 for 1 decent pic and 6 other obscured or cut-off pics. Cant understand why they cant get it right...??
Someone should point it out to the organisers. I think I remember the photos being much better, (more, better locations) last year. The group that did the Angry Doctor last year did a really good job, too... and their internet interface was a whole heap better too.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Nothing super about supersportsimages.com.

I wish Aurora did them again like last year. Very unimpressed with these ones.

I have 8 obstructed pics of me crossing the start line. Awesome! :rolleyes:

I have a couple of OK pics on the canoe bridge and something else but on the whole they're pretty average.

Dirtworks 100K 2010

Nothing super about supersportsimages.com.

I wish Aurora did them again like last year. Very unimpressed with these ones.

I have 8 obstructed pics of me crossing the start line. Awesome! :rolleyes:

I have a couple of OK pics on the canoe bridge and something else but on the whole they're pretty average.
Disappointing selection really! Cattle grid was not a highlight, and no pic finishing the race. The photographers seemed to lack imagination in selecting good vantage points.

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
Boring boring boring.

And I spent over half-an-hour battling with their website to find the photos that they took of me after I fell off the bridge. I was laughing at the camera and thought they would have been worth the money. But they're not there.

Come on guys, if you want us to part with our money then you need to give us something that stands out and reminds us of the fun and challenges of the race. Riding over a cattle-grid must rank as the most lame photos I've seen of myself to date.

markjo

Squid
well you could walk from Bedford creek to the gate and then ride...

But yeh... Ingar is a nice (fairly) constant gradient to train on.

It you get to Tablelands road and you feel pumped... head south then onto Ando's...

And if (like me) you get to the top and feel stuffed... ride back down the road to where ever your car is... (I usually ride back down home to Woodford)

Elvis.
Ride from the creek to the gate, then on up the rest of Ingar up to Tableland rd. The first part from the creek is so steep, if you can get up that you can get up anything the Dirtworks throws at you. Once a fortnight I would do up oaks single track then firetrail to Woodford, Ingar, Andersons, back to Woodford, then back to Glenbrook. I also threw in the six foot track to jenolan once a month. I had no problem with the first or last big hills at the Dirtworks.

rangie

Likes Dirt
Wow, this is probably their last gig at Dirtworks..............
or any other event for that matter :mad:

seems like everyone with a camera considers themselves a sports photographer...my littly takes better pics with a pt an shoot! much more intersting composition...it's laughable that they would even consider taking/posting/trying to charge for pics like the ones on the cattlegrid

come on guys, wake up...last years mont night pics or lack thereof also comes to mind...dont know which group that was but this seems to be common these days...

guess we have been spoiled by the likes of sportograph and the numerous brilliant amateur/semi pro photographers around the traps that actually understand riding and taking pics and do so out of love for the sport...

rant off...

black4tress

Likes Dirt
Photos

Although most of my photos are lame, I have a couple of the bridge ride that I want. The problem is how do we take advantage of the $28 for all my photos.

If I add all the photos into my cart, it just keeps adding up. There doesnt seem to be an option to select bib number and purchase them ?

Any ideas ?

thanks

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Although most of my photos are lame, I have a couple of the bridge ride that I want. The problem is how do we take advantage of the $28 for all my photos.

If I add all the photos into my cart, it just keeps adding up. There doesnt seem to be an option to select bib number and purchase them ?

Any ideas ?

thanks
Follow the directions in the email and it works. You only select one photo then you put you race # in on the next page and you get all of them.

I got 33 photo's. 31 of those were at the start before I got past the timing mats, one on the cattle grid and one coming down the last descent on the 50km course. I bought mine as I only have about 4 photo's of me racing. My missus, who does a bit of photography, didn't think they were worth the $28, who cares, it's my money.

If I flick through all my photo's at the start fast it's like a movie.

Boreit

Likes Dirt
Follow the directions in the email and it works. You only select one photo then you put you race # in on the next page and you get all of them.
what about if you didnt get a race # plate? :(

looks like i'll be doing a lot of searching........

daniel@supersport

Cannon Fodder
Response from Supersport Images

Someone should point it out to the organisers. I think I remember the photos being much better, (more, better locations) last year. The group that did the Angry Doctor last year did a really good job, too... and their internet interface was a whole heap better too.
Hi Riders,

As the GM of Supersport Images, the Max Adventure team did the right thing and have made me aware of your thoughts on the imgaes from Dirtworks, and I felt it important to reach out to you guys to offer a little explanation (not excuses) on how we go about getting the images and also I wanted to give you an insight into some of the decisions we made.

Let me assure you guys, that when I see your comments here, I take them very seriously and I see at as my role to work towards turning your comments into postiive one's if we are lucky enough to shoot you guys again.

The really difficult part of capturing you guys in action on a course like this where it is an out and back on some tough 4WD terrain, is the ability to have my photographers change positions on course efficiently enough to shoot you guys in multiple places that best reflect the course, and that also give us the best chance to trying to get you indivdually.

We had 3 shooters on the day, with two mobile shooters and one that was dedicated to the ridgeline that was unable to be mobile due to a mix of the terrain and the fact that we were reliant on moving up there in an official vehicle.
The intention was to capture at least 2 shots of each part of the course, bearing in mind we had to choose positions that allowed our team to get to the next part of the course in time for the first rider to be there (ideally)

The decision to shoot at the cattle grid has been crtisiced a little and it's important for me to explain that the decsion to shoot there, was made based on simply aiming to get an appealling 'general' shot as you all headed out on course, that was early enough for that shooter to get themsleves into position as you neared the finish. We knew this shot was going to be a situation where you guys were likely to be still reasonably bunched and also one that was maybe not a strong enough reason to buy on it's own, but one we felt it would compliment the others well.
For that idealogy to work, we need the later shot of you all to succeed and I can't say we were thrilled with the outcome, hence some of you only having the cattle grid shot or vice versa!

From our point of view, the water crossing over the canoe's on the 100km course was a 'no brainer' as it incorporated a good mix of the elements and on top of that, it allowed for the riders to come through in single file in theory, not taking into account the ride's who carried their bikes after falling or by choice.

I must point out, that when we are on course and given our aim is to shoot ALL riders at a particular spot in a particular shot, things can sometimes come unstuck. In situations for example where a rider falls in the water, well before our shooter's position, this obviously affects out ability to get the shot, simply because our the shooter will have specific lenses on to best capture the shot we are looking for.

Just to give you a comparison, if a press photographer were out on course, they have the great ability to continually mix and match their shot syle and there chop and change what lenses they elect to shoot with, as they lookfor a spcific shot. They can simply shoot whover they wish until they get that shot and then change it up again.
Since our invovlement is aimed at getting a shot of everyone, it's unfortunately a trade off between reducing that risk and getting a saleable shot. It's no good for us to get a winning shot of 30% of riders as it just doesn't make things viable. We hope it to get a good shot of as close to 100% of riders as we can taking all of the elements of the course and nature into consideration, as well as the fact that we simply can't control if riders are bunched, pocketed behind one another or on't have numbering etc. The are just so many factors that can go against us, as well as the fact that our shooters are human.

For you 100km riders, we put in a good deal of work to get a stunning shot of you guys by the ridge line with the awesome views, but we simply could not find a solution to get a shooter into place their on event day and did everything we could to get a similar shot, but it just didn't eventuate, which we were disappointed with.

Our decision not to have coverage at the finish line was purely based on the fact that we felt we were best served aiming to get an action shot on course rather than a simplistic shot at the finish. I'm happy to cop cristism for that and some may support my decision, although others who are maybe competing for the first time might like to see a finish shot??

All in all, it was a tough outcome for us with a fair bit of work having gone in to really reflecting the event well, shooting you in good spots and also hoping to give you some good stuff to purchase, but it wasn't as successful as we'd hoped.

Let me assure you, I've taken your comments seriously and I am more than happy for you guys to contact me directly to offer your thoughts (keep it nice).
daniel@supersportimages.com

Just finally, for those of you who had no rider plate, you may be aware that you will need to search for your shots. You can stream line your seach through bike colour! Those with black bikes, happy seaching.
All the best to you all and I'm deeply disappointed if you are disappointed with your choices.
I will be doing my best to ensure that we are there next year and get another chance to do better.

Cheers,

Danny Boag
GM Supersport Images

Last edited:

rangie

Likes Dirt
sad

sadly the pt remains, the pics are poor. i would expect a lot of punters will be dissapointed and will not want to part with their had earned

looked like the few pics i saw of the bridge were not that great either...to do justice one would need a couple there?

aurora have some good rockstar pics

sportograph have raised the bar and others are struggling to keep up.

butlerhr

Likes Bikes
sadly the pt remains, the pics are poor. i would expect a lot of punters will be dissapointed and will not want to part with their had earned

looked like the few pics i saw of the bridge were not that great either...to do justice one would need a couple there?

aurora have some good rockstar pics

sportograph have raised the bar and others are struggling to keep up.

Overall quality & quantity of my photos in comparison with last year, 1 star. I trust the DW organisers will take note and be considerably more discerning when they sign up a photographer. I'm sure they didn't give themselves the gig.
:confused:

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Let me assure you, I've taken your comments seriously and I am more than happy for you guys to contact me directly to offer your thoughts (keep it nice).
daniel@supersportimages.com
Done!
Just finally, for those of you who had no rider plate, you may be aware that you will need to search for your shots. You can stream line your seach through bike colour! Those with black bikes, happy seaching.
Yeah it wasn't the photographers fault that the number plates were lost. But in the past other companies have allowed to search by more than just bike colour - bike + jersey + helmet cuts down the time wastage a lot.