Dirty Deed CX Series in Melbourne

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
Finally a CX series in Melbourne. 3 races each a month apart
27th June Brunswich velodrone
25th July Darebin Parklands
29th August TBA

You will need a CA license which is $30 for 3 races. Entry is $10.

Should be a fun one if the interest in the Warby CX race is anything to go by.

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
After a flat on my ride home from work last night I have now replaced my commuter tyres with some CS specific tyres in anticipation of the upcoming races.

Bring it on

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
OMG!! I would so love to come! I will seriously check dates against my calander. looks like so much fun!!
:cool:

brendan rocks

Likes Bikes
lot of updates on the blog.

remember folks, this isn't quite a mountain bike race. you'll have to get on and off your bike a heap... and there will be paved sections!

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
lot of updates on the blog.

remember folks, this isn't quite a mountain bike race. you'll have to get on and off your bike a heap... and there will be paved sections!
Here is a bit of a Cyclocross complition. Should give people some idea. Riding on 35mm tyres isnt easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWGnM_1ViZA

Will the race be under UCI rules? eg max 35mm tyres, no Disk brakes, bike changes only in the pit area?

Hoping to have the SS Monstercross bike ready for the race. Will be more likely ready for the 3rd race.

Brendan do you need any help with setup or organising the race. Are you able to give me a map of the race. Wouldn't mind checking it out before race date. Will there be a mud pit?

If there are any people from the inner south east keen for a bit of practice of dismounting etc let me know. I will be doing a bit of practicing in a park on the way home from work.

ps what time are the races to be held. Afternoon?

Last edited:

brendan rocks

Likes Bikes
all excellent questions.

all info here correct for the first race at the harrison st velodrome.

rego and course open at 12.
other bikes race at 1.
CX bikes at 2.

CX bikes must have drops and 700c wheels. no disc brakes allowed in this category, but caliper brakes are ok.

we will totally need help setting up. come early if you're keen. there will likely be a beer in it for you (before, during or after racing...). no course info will be available until then, however, i can tell you that there will be mud. lots of it.

a good write up here:
http://brunswickcyclingclub.com/post/2010/06/cyclocross-at-harrison-st-velodrome/#more-4084

and, of course, check here for more info:
http://dirtydeedscx.blogspot.com/

johnny_boy

Likes Dirt
CX bikes must have drops and 700c wheels. no disc brakes allowed in this category, but caliper brakes are ok.
Sounds sweet!!

Pity about this rule, (my flat bar crosser fails) but I spose it's fair if you are trying to create a 'genuine' cross series, as opposed to just a bit of fun. If the latter is the aim, I suggest scrapping the stringent bike rules. To be fair, reasonable 'fun' race rules would be:
-No suspension
-700c wheels

All else goes.

Just a thought. Looking forward to it, regardless!

brendan rocks

Likes Bikes
you may either ride the "other bikes" category or borrow from me the drop bars i have in my parts cupboard. you will still have fun either way.

Last edited:

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
Sounds sweet!!

Pity about this rule, (my flat bar crosser fails) but I spose it's fair if you are trying to create a 'genuine' cross series, as opposed to just a bit of fun. If the latter is the aim, I suggest scrapping the stringent bike rules. To be fair, reasonable 'fun' race rules would be:
-No suspension
-700c wheels

All else goes.

Just a thought. Looking forward to it, regardless!
It is only UCI rules that forbid the use of disc brakes. US Cyclecross allows them. I do like the idea of allowing more people with CX type commutter bike with discs to be able to enter the main race but I can see why they are not allowed. A bunch on newbies running around with disc blades ready to slice into people as they jump the barriers probably isnt the best thing.

These is the open race for people with non-crossers to participate. The other option is to design a track that would be beneficial to crosser. Lots of braking and accelerating. It is something that happened in the 90s when people would race on MTB and win. They just changed the course intially to benefit crosser then changed the rules..

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
now that the uci have allowed disc brakes for cross racing in the 2010-11 season will they be permitted in the cx race?

brendan rocks

Likes Bikes
and, when the 2010-2011 season officially begins, you will be allowed to ride your bike with disc brakes.

i think that's in september.

brendan rocks

Likes Bikes
holy crap! you can now buy cupcakes at the race! there's going to be a cake stall! proceeds go to edgar's mission, apparently. that rules. this is my kind of racing!

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
now that the uci have allowed disc brakes for cross racing in the 2010-11 season will they be permitted in the cx race?
I hope we arent goin with UCI rules cos I just bought a pair of 'big bag' which come in at 35mm. Wouldnt be allowed under the new rules.

Does anyone know where to get some cow bells from?