disc rotor help...

jet-ski

Squid
I got an STP2 with Shimano M415 mechanical discs - I want to swap out the rotors, but where it's got rotor bolts... they are just smooth pin looking things holding it on to the hub? How do I get these rotors off?

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Do you mean like this ?

If this is the case then you have what is known as a centrelock setup where by basically the rotor is placed onto a splined part of the hub then a lock ring is screwed on to hold the rotor to the hub.

Which means you can only replace said rotors with other centrelock rotors, or alternatively you can get an adaptor to convert your centrelock setup to a conventional 6 bolt disc mount. (see image below)

Or the other option is to get new hubs/wheels but that's where it starts to get costly.

There are a few models of centrelock rotors ranging from the basic shimano ones which I would say you have, right up to the higher end XTR rotors.

jet-ski

Squid
yeah that looks like them! I feel like a dill for not noticing the lockring now. I guess it should be easy enough to get an upgraded centrelock one then cos pretty sure the one I have is the bottom of the line. Thanks :)

golden path

Banned
Torpedo7 have XT Centrelock rotors for $50.

Be aware that some of the lower end Shimano brakes use a wider track section on the rotor ( the area the brake pad contacts ) and the pads are also wider, so if you use a rotor with a narrower brake track you can get odd pad wear.

That said, I was warned against using XT Centrelock rotors with my Deore 555 hydro brakes and they are still going strong after 4 years.