DIY SoPro mount

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Interesting.
Covers a bit more of the front than I'd like, personally, but interested to see some footage from this mount.

Mostly stability.
Hopefully the camera doesn't rattle around.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Yeah Ill have to give it a go. If it works I have some nylon mesh fabric that Id use in place of the cordura if I make a second version.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Be sure to stick up your footage when you have some.

My materials won't arrive until mid week. Hopefully I can rig something up and go for a spin on the weekend.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Dude did you end up giving your DIY mount a test?

I received the original materials I intended on using... but then I stumbled across some perspex sheet at work and got an idea.

My method:

1. I cut a piece of perspex off, roughly the height needed for an adhesive mount with some room on the sides to go around the front of the helmet (off the top of my head - worked out pretty well).

2. Drilled a hole in each corner for a decent sized cable tie to fit (lucky guess on the size).

3. Rounded the sharp 90 degree corners by rubbing it down on the concrete (really ghetto stylin' now), and cleaned up the holes a little with a Stanley knife.

4. Put the piece of plastic in a vice and heated it with a jet lighter until I could bend it on each side of where the adhesive mount would attach until it looked like this... micro-adjusting angles to suit the chin bar of my helmet.

5. Attached to the helmet with two cable ties. It felt really solid so I stuck the adhesive mount to the front of it... slotted the camera in... and kaboom!

Ride test at You Yangs on Sunday.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
The mount seems to have worked well.
My riding on the other hand... :)

[video=youtube_share;4mOuhzxvaFQ]https://youtu.be/4mOuhzxvaFQ[/video]

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
from now on it should be mandatory for all trail footage to be shot with a chin cam. That angle is awesome, as was the riding - it makes what I do look more like firetrail riding :(

Staunch

Eats Squid
The mount seems to have worked well.
My riding on the other hand... :)
Actually surprised how well that worked considering how ghetto the mount looks. Would be keen to see how it holds up through some proper rough stuff however.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Actually surprised how well that worked considering how ghetto the mount looks. Would be keen to see how it holds up through some proper rough stuff however.
Ghetto? Obviously the last ghetto you went to had Bentleys and Rolls up on blocks......

Staunch

Eats Squid
Ghetto? Obviously the last ghetto you went to had Bentleys and Rolls up on blocks......
Yup, because perspex and zipties obviously looks so much more legitimate than the actual product in production by Sopro...

Last edited:

Ideate

Yup, because perspex and zipties obviously looks so much more legitimate than the actual product in production by Sopro...
I think it looks better than the Sopro nappy piece of shit strap-on. It holds the camera super securely, probably more so than the "So"pro. But you're sopro, what "proper rough stuff" should he be testing this on?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I think it looks better than the Sopro nappy piece of shit strap-on. It holds the camera super securely, probably more so than the "So"pro. But you're sopro, what "proper rough stuff" should he be testing this on?
Not to mention, cable ties hold together 10k+ carbon uber bikes on the world cup circuits.

The actual sopro looks like a bit of garbage bag blown up off the trail.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Proper rough stuff, not that pussy Turbulence shit.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Not to mention, cable ties hold together 10k+ carbon uber bikes on the world cup circuits.

The actual sopro looks like a bit of garbage bag blown up off the trail.
Looks =/= Function. Never did I say it looks like it performs worse, I just commented that I'm surprised with the amazing result you can get from some DIY and basic components. Saying that, I still stand by my comment that it looks ghetto compared to the sopro mount.

Faster tracks with braking bumps/ruts/corrugations, the sort of stuff that'd produce a significant amount of shake/vibration compared to occasional huck/short rock garden at the Youies.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Looks =/= Function. Never did I say it looks like it performs worse
Well..........actually you did.

Actually surprised how well that worked considering how ghetto the mount looks.
You do realise sopro "production" is 15 eight year olds in a abandoned shipping container on the outskirts of shanghai?

Staunch

Eats Squid
Well..........actually you did.
Only because for some reason, you decided to pick on my interpretation of the term 'ghetto'. I'll say it again. Looks =/= Function

You do realise sopro "production" is 15 eight year olds in a abandoned shipping container on the outskirts of shanghai?
I'll put it this way for you. For a marketing perspective, the sopro mount looks much more legitimate than a piece of perspex and two zipties. If some random punter walked into a store and saw the two products provided for the same pricetag, it's likely they'd go with the Sopro because it doesn't appear like a homejob. That is the only reason I said it looks ghetto.

I don't understand why everyone feels the need to have a go at my opinion. Let me rephrase my original comment.
'It looks like it performs amazingly well for a DIY homejob, although I'd be keen to see it tested in a rougher environment'

Better? Can everyone stop their sooking now about someone phrased something in a manner they didn't like on the internet?

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
:crazy:

The mount is rock solid on the helmet, like, it literally does not move. It's pulled hard against the chin bar.

There's a tiny amount of movement between the adhesive mount and the clip-in J mount... and due to the J mount's design, I am unable to properly insert the rubber thingo to lessen movement/dampen vibration, but that's no fault of my DIY jobbie.
Outside of that tiny amount of GoPro mount play, the only movement the camera does is caused by the helmet itself moving under the weight of the camera hanging off the front (which isn't noticeable when wearing it until you undo the chin strap).

I think it worked out really well for $3, regardless of how it looks. :whoo:

As for rough shit, I'd go ride through the stupidly fast, rutted, braking bumped, blown out fire road section and following berms of LaLa Falls out at Warby... but you know, it's closed. :pout: