DJ3 modifications

CHEWY

Eats Squid
hey all,
i just got my new 125 :D and the dj's r a bit pogostickish, although there not THAT bad, but i was just wonderin does anyone know any mods that can be made to make em better... like on JrT's how u drill a hole in the dampening rod(?) or that one with the ball bearings and the washer... it'd probably void the warrenty but hey?
any help appreciated

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get em serviced first, more than likely there isn't enough oil in there, and its prolly pretty shit too. Get some fork fluid put in and have the wrenchie make sure theres the recomended amount in there. Thats your most probable cause of the pogo.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no one ever does, and its usually crap. My boxxers didn't come with enough oil, and all those stories you hear of the forks oil draining rihgt to the bottom and the fork being like a pogo stick dissapeared once id put the right amount and good quality stuff in.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
yea i might do it then.... dang whyd i give away that bottle of fork oil with the CR... stoopid. will motie shit do the trick??

S.

ex offender
Yeah, moto shit is the same as mtb fork oil anyway, just make sure you get the right weight stuff.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
also, dj3's are shipped wiht NO air presure so get out your pump and pump them up to around 5psi I would guess (if you manual says 30psi or something like that, it is wrong as that was for the 02 DJ series).

CHEWY

Eats Squid
yea pumped em up and went for a ride this mornin, that helped the compression heaps.. did some 7ft drops and they were no where near bottoming...

Ryan

Radministrator
Yeah, apparently they'll benefit from the same drill out technique used on JrT's, or anything with the lower end marzocchi dapening setup.
I'm thinking of giving my new DJ3's the drill out treatment tomorrow, as well as an oil top up, so when I do I'll take photos and put a how to article up on the frontpage.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds to me liek the low end Marzocchis are more trouble than they're worth

S.

ex offender
bikeman_baldrik said:
Except that they're cheap, reliable, bombproof and plush, yes they're a hell of a lot of trouble. :roll:

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
bikeman_baldrik said:
Except that they're cheap, reliable, bombproof and plush, yes they're a hell of a lot of trouble. :roll:
yeah, right on

CHEWY

Eats Squid
bikeman_baldrik said:
nope... i love this fork it is sooo much better than my old Z.5... well see how long it lasts though..

S.

ex offender
Turley said:
also, dj3's are shipped wiht NO air presure so get out your pump and pump them up to around 5psi I would guess (if you manual says 30psi or something like that, it is wrong as that was for the 02 DJ series).
No 2002 model forks had air-assist.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Here's a trick, if you're pov and can't be bothered forking out (no pun) for proper fork oil, use the old moto trick and just use ATF (automatic transmission fluid). It's cheap, it's 7.5wt so it can be a good compromise too, and no it shouldn't damage your seals, mine are still fine.

Ryan

Radministrator
I'm loving my DJ's too, totally changed the ride of my bike (though changing the forks on your HT will do that I guess). I don't think they're more trouble than they're worth, it's just they can be improved considerably with a little witch-doctoring :)

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wombat said:
Here's a trick, if you're pov and can't be bothered forking out (no pun) for proper fork oil, use the old moto trick and just use ATF (automatic transmission fluid). It's cheap, it's 7.5wt so it can be a good compromise too, and no it shouldn't damage your seals, mine are still fine.
i've bought tranny fluid (for my car) and i've bought fork oil (from a moto shop) and the prices were about the same...

toodles

Wheel size expert
Ahoy - I've got a set of DJ3s and they're smooth as but feel like they have no damping. What weight oil is supposed to be in them? Does anyone know? TIP - if your servicing your forks yourself, do it on lino not on carpet. Oops.