Dock lock up your bike, its so easy to pick bike locks

freeride_sweet

Likes Dirt
ive just been shown how to pick bike locks, and if any of u guya knew how easy it is u would throw your lock away,

not braging or anything but i can walk up to most key locks a pick it is the time it takes to use a key (i have been working on it though, on my lock). ita worth buying a d lock or a big F***King code lock.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah good advice. Worth investing in a really high quality lock, remember though, no lock is pick proof

blt2ride

Likes Dirt
I never leave my bikes anywhere. They are locked-up in the guest bedroom of my house and I NEVER leave them in the back of my truck...period! It's just not worth the risk...

.:Alan:.

Likes Dirt
i dont no about bike code locks but me and a few of my friends can pick the small 3 digits one you put on lockers fairly easily. it still takes a bit of time though.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
i can pick the cheap style barrel code lock things, you just pull and twist one dial at a time untill it opens, never tried a better quality one.

Drew.

Eats Squid
the lowest you'd want to go is probably a 4 digit button lock (the ones where you press down the cubes)

spin locks are useless as are key locks, if you really care about your bike and you leave it un gaurded a lot INVEST IN A BIG LOCK!

You may thing "Nah wouldnt happen, i don't need to buy a big fancy lock" but just think about having your bike stolen because of a careless error.

Don't let thieves take your most loved possesion, lock it up well ;)

bryce

Likes Dirt
the best way to go would be to buy some of that heavy plastic coated stainless wire and a really good padlock. if you pay enough you can get ones that are VERY difficult to pick

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
if a key works . . . its pickable. And if some one is goign to spend the time to pick a lock, get some 5 ft bolt cutters down there, and you could cut anything! in the end a lock is nothing but a deterrant..!

get your self some of those hand cuff locks?? not sure what they are but SHM used to have them. they come with a guarrantee up to some ridiculous price like a grand, that your bike will NOT get stolen if locked with them properly.

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
I got a mate who can pick any combination lock.
He also picked my kryptonite key lock once when i left my key at home.

Padlocks are easy to cut with small, easy to hide, boltcutters. If someone had the time to pick a lock they'd have time to just cut it...

Your lock is mostly a deterrent. Make sure you lock your bike in a well lit, obvious place, and try not to leave it locked up long... that said I'm guilty of leaving my bike left out over night...

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sawtell said:
get your self some of those hand cuff locks?? not sure what they are but SHM used to have them. they come with a guarrantee up to some ridiculous price like a grand, that your bike will NOT get stolen if locked with them properly.
They're called 'street cuffs' by Master. Nah, don't do it. The 'insurance policy' that comes with it is only for the US & the $200.00 price tag is a bit steep considering it doesn't come with a cable for your wheels.

I reckon a high quality cable, high quality padlock, parked in a well lit area that you can check on regularily is the only way to go....

will4eva7k

Likes Dirt
they should sell mini welding kits so u can weld a fat as pole around your bike

dont ask me how ur gonna 'unlock it'

STP112

Likes Dirt
will4eva7k said:
they should sell mini welding kits so u can weld a fat as pole around your bike

dont ask me how ur gonna 'unlock it'
lol thats funny

when i go out riding and go into shops for lunch i never leave it out of eye contact. When i used to ride bmx i hade a keylock and i went into a shop to get a drink and as i came outside the bike was gone and on the ground was the lock cut in half.
Now im paranoid about leaving my bike anywhere but i supose its a good thing!

jamie

alister

Likes Dirt
I went straight to the hardware and bought a length of massive-guage chain (steel section is over a 1cm in thickness) and a high quality level 3 (can get up to level 4) padlock. It took those 4ft bolt cutters and jumping on them to cut the chain.

squeezed the chain inside an old tube to prevent scratches and $30 later i have a 1kg thieving-d!ckwod-proof bike security system :D

isthisthepart

... where I admit I'm an idiot?
(this only solves mtb's with disc brakes problems) but you can do what most motorbikers do and get a disc brake lock.......its a bit of metal that locks onto the disc so the wheel wont spin. (most people cant see them, theyr cheap, same key configuartion to a high security front door on houses which normally comes standard.) most people cant pick those locks either

Last edited:

tanlicouz

Likes Dirt
i wonder if there is a consumer based homing device that we can purchase.... chip your bike, and if its ever stolen you can literately have great fun hunting the F*ck who stole it, think about payback and of course never loose your bike... Is there a product like that? or have i been watching too many movies?