does anyone know where eagle quarry is

gibbo4

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wasnt there something on the front of the Hills and Valley Messenger about eagle quarry?

emcgough

Likes Dirt
Doesur said:
yeh there is coz thats where the next race is
haha ok, get me some pics of this track, then I'll believe you. I'm envisaging rolling hills and open fields (no tracks though).

They say there's supposed to be a race there this year, but as far as I know, they haven't done a scrap of work on the new trails. There's also a proposed 4X track, and they have done all of nothing as regards construction on that. Bottom line: the council is gay. I'd love to be proved wrong though, I can't wait for eagle park to be open.. if it ever is.

Also, yes, there was an article in the local newspaper, which pretty much stated that they have done nothing. "A work in progress", they called it (or something like that). The reporter for the article couldn't get any evidence from them of actual physical progress with the whole park.

slo

Likes Dirt
the proposed site for these runs are up around eagle on the hill... it would be red hot if they pulled their finger out of their arse and got some work done there so a race could be held there this season :eek:

Atomizer

Likes Dirt
The Insideline DH MTB Club , Event 4, on Sept 10, 11, is proposed for the Eagle Park Quarry. This yet to be fully completed (confirmation anyone??) MTB park is off the old freeway near Eagle on the Hill (Adelaide). Currently you are welcomed to this Office for Recreation and Sport land by a locked gate, ironically. Hopefully this won't be the case for too much longer.

In the current political landscape MTB Parks, and the sport of MTB'ing, are of very low-to-no priority, like anything else requiring the government spend money (ie schools, hospitals, infrastructure, essential services and justice for the familiy of cyclists who die as a result of 'hit-and-run' lawyers..etc) given it's 'savings at all costs' agenda, and this MTB park (a token offering to MTB'ers by the 'Privatise it at all costs' Olsen 'Liberals') is no exception apparently. The current government appears to have forgotten it exists. Maybe someone can prove me wrong here and give us all a time when open access to this potenially great idea will be openly accessible.

http://www.bikesa.asn.au/mtb_projects/eagle.htm

http://insidelinemtb.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Calendar&file=race4

Last edited:

scratchy

Farkin Activist
The project, started by the previous government was part of the 2001-2003 plan. The re-veging of the mindsite took the vast majority of funds and time. It's been signed off by every government and non-government department that has a remote interest (Dept. for Environ. and Heritage, Trees for Life etc.).

The reality is, on paper the jobs been done. The beuracratic side of it is completed. It's good, gold even. All the rubber stamps have been stamped. Pity there is no money left to build it!

The concept of a sporting grant being used to rehabilitate a mindsite from years of commercial activity is suspect at best. The Minister Michael Wright has been very lax with the whole cycling portfolio. Bicycle SA has suffered under his stewardship with funding slashed. This in turn has affected the projects it manages like Eagle Quarry. Bicycle SA does a great job on a shoestring budget. So if you want to help get Eagle Quarry up

HERE IS WHAT YOU CAN DO
Visit his website http://www.ministers.sa.gov.au/minister.asp?mId=12&pId=2

You will see his contact details, inlcuding email.

You might want to drop him a line and in your best english, point out that this initiative was started under previous government runs the risk of going to the next election having failing to be completed. Point out the job is almost done. But as a vocal member of a very large cycling community you will be watching with interest how long Eagle Quarry MTB park will take to open. Point out his government offers no alternatives in the meantime.

-------------

To date the minister will definately not go down as a positive effect on the whole cycling community. He does have a small window (the rest of the year) to which he can address his neglect.

Its all a load of absolute shit. Fuck waiting for these losers to come up with something that has been talked about for nearly 7 years. Just get out there and FSU. Cut your own tracks and build your own booters. And to all the do gooders saying "No dont!". Its way to late for that... Time to take action. Has anyone ridden the sick new tracks in Horsenells? Now thats what i call being pro active... HAHAHAHAHAH!

gibbo4

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wind ding brutha said:
Its all a load of absolute shit. Fuck waiting for these losers to come up with something that has been talked about for nearly 7 years. Just get out there and FSU. Cut your own tracks and build your own booters.
Another reason for them to give downhillers a bad name :rolleyes:

jasevr4

Likes Dirt
i just sent my email :D

scratchy - do they need volunteers for eagle mtb park? or is it just money they are waiting on now? i am more than happy to help out if help is needed.

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Excellent question, wished I was asked it more often. At the moment if you want to learn the skills and tricks of Trailbuilding hook up with Insideline and work the race trails as they always need work.

Eagle Quarry at this point is under very tight control so there is only a couple of key people that are allowed to work there at the moment, hopefully this will change.

AMTBC also have trail building days.

Atomizer

Likes Dirt
Well...we won't be seeing how Eagle Quarry works as a DH park for the Insideline MTB event on Sept 10-11.

"Next Race Bennets, Sept 10 - 11

Spread the word and tell your friends the next race has now been confirmed for Bennetts. Due to factors outside the clubs control, Eagle Park has been delayed again so ‘Plan B’ has been implemented and racing will return to the forest and the road gaps.

The race and the behaviour of those that attend will be under the scrutiny of the Rangers and the Club following the stupid driving of some unit that last year that nearly cost the club access to Forestry SA land. Pick up your rubbish, obey all parking signs and leave any bogan driving for your local supermarket carpark.

Keep an eye on the website for details of a working bee (‘WORKING’ NOT RIDING!!) and get ready to bounce off some trees and style some gaps.
There will be a more details on Eagle Park in the Adrenaline Mag."

From: http://insidelinemtb.com/nuke/modules.php?name=News
InsideLine Downhill MTB Club

Hmmm, well who didnt see that coming. Eagle park and legal trails at Belair is a total joke. It will never happen as too many do gooders have their finger in the pie. If it ever does happen it will be so shit sandwich anyway as all of the bike sa geeks and other do gooders will be involved, if the idea of a linear park on the hillside gets you going youll maybe be happy in 20years time. Your all wasting your time with this rubbish. BORING...

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Wind ding, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Have you been up to Melrose yet?

You're just what Adelaide needs, another apathetic git!

Im not a git, im a realist. The best way we can draw attention to our cause is to just build more illegal trails, than they will se that they have to do something as they will see that were not stopping. All of this legal stuff they build is going to be shit sandwich and for lycra bandits. No probs with stuff for lycra bandits, but its always the hardcore huckers like me and me mates who get left out. Ahhhhhh, theres five minutes of my life wasted, jeesh imagine if i was campaigning for legal bloody tracks...

randomridermax

Likes Dirt
yea i agree when they build legal tracks they will have 2cm high drops i mean come on seriously get someone decent to build them atleast i have mine own hidden spot with gaps jumps and drops and these arnt small gaps and drops either

scratchy

Farkin Activist
wind ding brutha said:
Im not a git, im a realist. The best way we can draw attention to our cause is to just build more illegal trails, than they will se that they have to do something as they will see that were not stopping. All of this legal stuff they build is going to be shit sandwich and for lycra bandits. No probs with stuff for lycra bandits, but its always the hardcore huckers like me and me mates who get left out. Ahhhhhh, theres five minutes of my life wasted, jeesh imagine if i was campaigning for legal bloody tracks...

Nah mate you're not a realist. Imagining that they are gunna build rad tracks for all your extreme mates to huck before they build sustainable XC tracks for all levels to showcase what MTBing can offer the community only illustates that you haven't the faintest clue of what reality is.

Build illegal track, I never said not to. They have been built for the last 15 years. You're idea to convert these trails to legal trails is what, call it BORING?

But just because you're apathetic, keep it to yourself. Or even better whinge to all ya mates. Have a whine to randomridermax as well, he seems to be on the same planet as you where ppl shud get rad builders to build tracks. Have you guys ever heard of Trails solutions Australia. What about Glen Jacobs? IMBA best practice?? You wouldn't know a rad builder if he snuck up behind you and put a matic through your dome.

Like I said, you probably haven't riden Melrose so you've got no idea what you're talking about when you say that that Bicycle SA using IMBA guidelines can't produce some seriously sick trails to ride.

heppy

Likes Dirt
scratchy said:
Nah mate you're not a realist. Imagining that they are gunna build rad tracks for all your extreme mates to huck before they build sustainable XC tracks for all levels to showcase what MTBing can offer the community only illustates that you haven't the faintest clue of what reality is.
Ah Adelaide is all ready covered in sustainable XC tracks. I just think whoever is in charge of the way the tracks must be built, are way to paranoid about erosion. Check out kangarilla it's steep and has some big jumps and u dont see erosion there. I think the council should just get builders who actually know how to build trails big and safe and that dont have erosion.

You bloody XC riders just want more and more, we DH/FR riders just need something. Perhaps the councils should take a look at what whistler can do.