Does Anyone Still Want Old DH Bikes?

MikeC90

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

Long story short, I have an old DH bike that hasn't been used in ages and is just taking up space... Now I haven't been in the DH 'scene' (regular riding/competing) for 4-5 years now, and I've no idea what deemed 'too old' these days as far as bikes go? I mean I was stoked to get a 2000 model Norco DH bike back when I first starting competing properly as a 13-14 year old, but I don't know if that still applies...

So I guess my question is, do I bother trying to sell, or are such old bikes too old/uncool for anyone (particularly younger buyers with less $$$) to buy these days?

The bike in question is a 2005 Giant DH comp (see below). Obviously it needs a little tlc (seatpost, a spoke on the rear, derailleur tune etc), but with that small outlay it would still make for a half reasonable bike for a beginner :)

Thoughts??

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
fThat's a good bike.
You should have no probs selling that.

The only prob with old DH bikes is that they have had years and years of abuse and are more likely to have cracks or damaged frames that make it not worthwhile for the buyer.
As long as the frame has no cracks and all the components work, and aren't in need of immediate replacement that would make a great bike for anyone wanting to hit up some DH runs.

Sure, the bikes now are lighter and more bling, but thanks to trickle down tech the bikes of 2005 still hold their own today because the advancements in early 2000's really skyrocketed.

Nothing 'uncool' about that bike at all.

One thing to keep in mind, Giants are very common and getting cheaper for better spec all the time, so you probably won't get much for it compared to what you paid for it.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Plus don't forget us older dudes, who have kids, wives, mortgages and the like, who'd love to get into DH but just can't justify a couple of K on a rig we might only get to ride a couple of times a month. An older cheap banger is just the thing we'd be interested in.

allstar

Likes Dirt
those shivers look beast!

Dh Comp's are damn awesome Dh bikes, I had one new and raced it heaps, apart from the odd linkage needing replacing it was a really fast, reliable bike.

you'd have no problems selling that.

MikeC90

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm very pleased to hear that she might have plenty more runs to look forward to yet :)

Regarding the Shivers, they don't just look great, they go well too! They feel a bit under-damped by modern standards, compared to Fox 40's anyhow, but I remember after getting the 40's I missed the Shivers in the really rough stuff... I think maybe because they aren't super stiff they can almost twist around certain angled hits, rather than a super stiff fork that bounces sideways if the damping doesn't quite cope with the hit.

allstar, agree that the DH comp is/was a great bike - very well sorted suspension design. I got plenty of podiums in U17's and 19's on it not all that many years ago :) The linkages themselves are good, only the lower shock bolt/bushings has play in it. Never understood why they make them out of such a soft alloy...

harmonix1234, I agree that Giants are plentiful, and I wouldn't get much for it compared to what I paid for it. If I were to sell I was thinking $400-500 - does that sound reasonable, for those in the know?

Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
Do a big favour for some kid with not much money and lots of enthusiasm, and offload it for $400.

You'll get a warm fuzzy feeling seeing your old bike getting put to good use, and who knows, you might find us the next Sam Hill.

What goes around, comes around.

treble

Likes Dirt
I rode pretty much the exact same bike at Mount beauty recently. Didn't have my bike with me and managed to borrow one for a couple of shuttle runs. They are still a perfectly good bike, just give it a good service and some young kid looking for his/her first Dh bike will love it.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
I used to ride this bike! I can vouch that you'll have no issues selling it. Reliable, very sturdy, great for all round use in downhill and freeride, and indestructible.

Occasionally I get the itch to ride the old DH Comp. :)

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm very pleased to hear that she might have plenty more runs to look forward to yet :)

Regarding the Shivers, they don't just look great, they go well too! They feel a bit under-damped by modern standards, compared to Fox 40's anyhow, but I remember after getting the 40's I missed the Shivers in the really rough stuff... I think maybe because they aren't super stiff they can almost twist around certain angled hits, rather than a super stiff fork that bounces sideways if the damping doesn't quite cope with the hit.

allstar, agree that the DH comp is/was a great bike - very well sorted suspension design. I got plenty of podiums in U17's and 19's on it not all that many years ago :) The linkages themselves are good, only the lower shock bolt/bushings has play in it. Never understood why they make them out of such a soft alloy...

harmonix1234, I agree that Giants are plentiful, and I wouldn't get much for it compared to what I paid for it. If I were to sell I was thinking $400-500 - does that sound reasonable, for those in the know?
good work sir.

anyone else seen idiots "sell" bikes that "cost 8 grand new" in 2008 try to sell bikes for 3k now? i just want to reach through the computer and slap them.

blkluxy73

Likes Bikes
Plus don't forget us older dudes, who have kids, wives, mortgages and the like, who'd love to get into DH but just can't justify a couple of K on a rig we might only get to ride a couple of times a month. An older cheap banger is just the thing we'd be interested in.
totally agree with you knuckles..i own a 2005 brodie hoodlum frame dh rig and being in the older age bracket this does me just fine out on the trails,though very weird when you get some riders say they've never heard of brodie bikes at all ha ha

donny70

Likes Dirt
I was using a giant dh comp up until a year ago and it was fantastic. Those shivers were/are an awesome fork too. If I could get my hands on some sc shivers I'd be well happy.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
I always wanted a D/H bike, but being I a newb, who tends to do more cross country than anything else (namely to get my fat ass fit), I could not justify the outlay for a bike I might ride twice a year.

But is saying that, at your price range, hell I would buy it and not feel guilty about taking it out once every six months (wife might disagree, but she is a girl and doesn't understand these things (flame suit on)).

So when is it going up for sale? :evil:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Considering the OH just spotted a hard rubbish find 1986 Suparoo bmx that was basically only polished up by the owner and is now on Gumtree for a $700 price tag, and how i would have loved the early 70's Raleigh road bike I saw for sale at $850 at a local second hand store, I'd say it's a buyers market for any vintage bike.

bmx

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I had the time and space, I would have bought this rig. Was eyeing off those forks....