Dolphin slaughter - The Cove.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
http://media.smh.com.au/entertainment/the-guide/the-cove-2581462.html

I have heard of this a few times over the past few years and seen some pretty disturbing images. I side with the presenters that I struggle with the concept of seeing such intelligent and amazing creatures being subject to such an horrific end. When there is so many alternative food sources available surely the continuation of this practice is built upon tradition rather than need? Or is it simply $$$

Are the fisherman ok to continue to hunt dolphins simply because they don't share the same level of association and affection that we do thus in their eyes this is no different to us slaughtering cattle etc?

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah but when we slaughter cattle we don't do it anywhere near as inhumanely as hooks into their slides and cutting them.
Saw it on oprah (ducks the empty cans thrown) most disturbing animal cruelty I've seen in my life.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ryvita上のイルカは、あなたの食欲を台無しにすることなく間食できるスナックです。

Bermshot

Banned
Can you put a moral price on tucker? I mean if Whales then Dolphins are considered more intelligent than primates then why arn't Japanese culling and consuming apes, or are they? hmmm.......

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I'm kinda with RCOH ... its no worse then the live export industry ... and although I'm opposed to it, I can also see that they've likely done it for centuries.

Maybe we should export more cats to them ...

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Why can't we just leave the animals alone!!!
If god didn't want us to eat them she wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Personally I reckon battery farmed eggs and quick grown shed chicken are a fair blight on us so who are we to judge what other people eat and how they hunt them?

As for live exports. We're lucky enough to live in a relatively rich society. A couple of bucks extra for free range eggs isn't going to kill me nor is paying more for beef slaughtered in a away that makes me some what less guilty about me eating something that was bred, raised and killed for me to eat.

But when you are talking about some very poor areas where a couple of bucks a week is the difference between being able to feed your family or starving then the extra money that it costs to slaughter and process the meat in Australia before shipping becomes a huge deal. As loath as I am to quote Bob Katter (Is there some godwin's law equivalent for mentioning uncle Bob in an internet argument?) He was saying it's something like a couple of grand/head difference in processing here to live exporting and processing there.

Who are we to sit up in our ivory towers and project or moral high ground on those less well off. If you feel that strongly about it I hope you are vegan.

Flynny: Part time vegetarian

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
It just boils down to the fact that it's easy meat.

Make a whole lotta noise to attract them into a bay, net it off, start slashing.

It's just lazy, and they have gotten away with it since the 70's, so they keep on doing it.

Dosn't make it right though.

The trouble is that you get a generational acceptance when something like this happens because the kids of the fishermen 30 years ago are the fishermen of today. That's how it is in Japan, they are family businesses.
The current gen of fishermen have grown up with it being their way of life/income/food and it's all they have known.

They must have some sort of guilt or shame though because they do go to great efforts to hide the killing and publicity. It's very secretive.

It's still screwed up though. after watching that movie I had a great big lump in my throat and felt like sending a big dirty letterbomb to the Japanese department of fisheries.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I'm a part time Vegetarian too ... the part of the time when I can't fit any more meat on my fork because there happens to be a vegetable taking its place.:watermelon: :drum:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
If dolphins are so smart, why do they keep falling for the same old trick? :rolleyes:

As a wise man once said " Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... Won't get fooled again!"

thecat

They must have some sort of guilt or shame though because they do go to great efforts to hide the killing and publicity. It's very secretive.

Where as we select our cattle out of the pen and have it slaughtered in front of us? Ever tried to get into a battery farm? We're fairly secretive with our practices too.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Where as we select our cattle out of the pen and have it slaughtered in front of us? Ever tried to get into a battery farm? We're fairly secretive with our practices too.
True, but when we kill our beef, at least we send it to the markets labelled as beef.
They send it to their markets labelled as 'whale'.
I'm not sure if it's because they think it will sell better, or because of the shame, or it's political connotations?

But hiding your meats identity must confirm some sort of premeditated act of deception.
Maybe that's what we do with sausages?

Bermshot

Banned
You have a choice of three dishes, Ape, Dolphin or a Kipper, morally which do you choose? Cause I'm damn sure I won't be having MONKEY BRAINS....blwhaaaa...brains

Macr

Likes Dirt
If god didn't want us to eat them she wouldn't have made them out of meat.
More like, why did we evolve with canine and incisors, to rend meat.

Personally I reckon battery farmed eggs and quick grown shed chicken are a fair blight on us so who are we to judge what other people eat and how they hunt them?
You actually believe free range eggs are free range, Flynny? More fool you. Free range eggs as advertised on the box, is just the chicken in a pen instead of a cage. No plant life and are fed the same grain as they were in a cage.
You know when you eat a real free range egg. Firstly there is no chemicals to enhance the colour of the yoke. Second, they taste so different. Compare one of your so called free range eggs to a cage egg and you will not taste a difference.
Up until a month ago, I had real free range chickens. They wondered up and down our street and came home to roost at night. Their yoke was so much more orange in colour than bought eggs and had so much more flavour.

thecat

More like, why did we evolve with canine and incisors, to rend meat.

You actually believe free range eggs are free range, Flynny? More fool you. Free range eggs as advertised on the box, is just the chicken in a pen instead of a cage. No plant life and are fed the same grain as they were in a cage.
You know when you eat a real free range egg. Firstly there is no chemicals to enhance the colour of the yoke. Second, they taste so different. Compare one of your so called free range eggs to a cage egg and you will not taste a difference.
Up until a month ago, I had real free range chickens. They wondered up and down our street and came home to roost at night. Their yoke was so much more orange in colour than bought eggs and had so much more flavour.
Um, Macr, I'm pretty sure the eggs that come out of the chickens in my back paddock are free range and their lovely yellow yolks are natural.:single_eye:

The point I was trying to make is that we are able to pay more for food that gives us a warm fuzzy feeling in our tummy because we think it has been looked after better in life and slaughtered in a more humane way yet most of us still choose the battery eggs because they are cheaper. The anti live export argument projects those false moral ideal onto poorer countries without considering the cost to them

Most of us are so far removed from the reality of where our food comes from these moral high ground arguments are pointless

Last edited: