Dolphin slaughter - The Cove.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
True, but when we kill our beef, at least we send it to the markets labelled as beef.
They send it to their markets labelled as 'whale'.
I'm not sure if it's because they think it will sell better, or because of the shame, or it's political connotations?

But hiding your meats identity must confirm some sort of premeditated act of deception.
Maybe that's what we do with sausages?
Dolphins are whales.......

I think killing of all whales is wrong as we don't have enough of them left.

I have as even more of a problem with shark finning, can't even look at photos of it as irt makes me cry.

Sharks are caught alive, fins cut off and then the still living shark is thrown back in to the ocean to drown.

I will NEVER eat in a restaurant that serves shark fin soup etc.

tricycle

Banned
unhealthy hen in a cage = unhealthy EGG. its only a couple of $ more to eat and support free range farming.battery hens --- its cruel ,wrong and worse its legal.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Just watched the documentary on ABC - man thats terrible! How can they still get away with that, looks a bit cruel to me?

Very intelligent and bright creatures, yet they don't seem to care at all.

Obviously, it really opens your eyes on what we should/shouldn't eat. Very distressing images. :(

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just watched the documentary on ABC - man thats terrible! How can they still get away with that, looks a bit cruel to me?

Very intelligent and bright creatures, yet they don't seem to care at all.

Obviously, it really opens your eyes on what we should/shouldn't eat. Very distressing images. :(
Yeah ditto, I watched it too. So so bad, and corruption and backward-ness of it all just makes me mad >:|

Definitely hitting up the next Sea Shepherd stall I see.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Free range hens have more liberties than cage hens.
That Dolphin killing is fucked up.
The way we sell live export and kill our own meat is also messed up. the two things are totally separate issues though IMO.

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
but the thing is, nobody in japan really knows about eating dolphin meat (as a majority). They're serving it up as whale meat even though it has something like 20x too much mercury considered safe for human consumption... They're doing it to make a few bucks, and as they have said in the documentary, they're not stopping because they really need to do it, but because they won't be told by the west what they can and can't do. It's bullshit. The organisation managing the slaughter of whales, and toothed whales including dolphins, can't win with the Japanese because the Japs simply buy the voice of another small suffering country, and all cause is lost. The doco is on iView (the ABC one, no it's not made out of glass and aluminium but it goes alright) for another 11 days or something. If you haven't already, then you should bloody watch it! It's horrific.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
When the pig went to Japan only a few months ago, he told the hosts who were letting us live with them, that in Australia you can get Kangaroo meat to feed to your dog in Australia, and too eat too !!!

The looks we got were probably the same ones the Japanese get when they say they eat Whale....

Y'all probably going to attack spanky when he admits all the different animals he's snacked on over time..... like, Horse! mmmmmm.... Horse

S

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
When the pig went to Japan only a few months ago, he told the hosts who were letting us live with them, that in Australia you can get Kangaroo meat to feed to your dog in Australia, and too eat too !!!

The looks we got were probably the same ones the Japanese get when they say they eat Whale....

Y'all probably going to attack spanky when he admits all the different animals he's snacked on over time..... like, Horse! mmmmmm.... Horse

S
Yeah good effort Spanky, valid points made... nothing wrong with eating a bit of *exotic* meat; as long as it is (1) processed appropriately and (2) in a sustainable manner.

Roo meat makes up a large part of my red meat diet. (1) Roos are shot by trained marksmen (dead is <1sec) and (2) They're everyone (esp after the rains).

The only diff with roo and whale/orca is that roos are in abundance in the boosh, literally breed like rabbits (they're pregnant most of their lives)... also I think eating 'higher order' animals like dolphins is pretty fudged up though; I think we can learn a lot more about them by studying them 'alive' as opposed to 'on our dinner plate'.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
I tried whale in Japan, just to see what the big deal with it was...

...it was pretty delicious. Like a medium-well steak with a strong, but not unpleasant, oily, fishy character to it. The restaurant we went to couldn't quite understand- my friends was super keen, I felt morally dubious. It took him a little bit of convincing the kitchen that we weren't going to trash the restaurant, or we had a hidden camera with us.

Bermshot

Banned
I tried whale in Japan, just to see what the big deal with it was...

...it was pretty delicious. Like a medium-well steak with a strong, but not unpleasant, oily, fishy character to it. The restaurant we went to couldn't quite understand- my friends was super keen, I felt morally dubious. It took him a little bit of convincing the kitchen that we weren't going to trash the restaurant, or we had a hidden camera with us.
Wow, then it does go on then, people going to another's house and then abusing them for the dish that is served. I don't agree with that no matter what my beliefs are.

And anyway, don't just bash the Japs have a look at how the Norwegians do it, a festival I think.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Dolphins are hell smart, cows are the dumbest meat machines on the planet. I love eating cows cause they don't let me pet them, dolphins like petting so I don't eat them.
I think really you should only eat meat that would eat you...except cows, milk them, eat them, high side the fuck out of their skins, I just don't like them.

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
As someone who has killed their own meat growing up on a sheep/beef farm, I always struggle when these debates come up. Since I could walk it has been normal to kill animals to eat. I am sorry if that offends some people, but hey, I cant please everyone....
But seeing dolphins killed just for food I struggle with. I associate them with freedom and wisdom, so killing them is abhorant to me, someone who will quite happily shoot a roo for the pot.
Some deep soul searching tells me that the behaviours that I myself have exhibited to feed myself and my family is disgusting to other cultures, as other cultures have disgusted me, but at the end of the day it is all about minimising pain, suffering and distress for our dinner, no matter which species we choose to dine upon. That is where the focus should lie....

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
It's not just the fact that holding wild Dolphins and Whales in a pen for 24hours, picking out the ones to be sold into captivity and forced to perform for Sea World etc is cruel. There's also the fact that the meat is high in mercury and unfit for human consumption. So even if you don't think herding them up with deafening unnatural sounds they're not used to, then holding live intelligent probably emotional animals in a pen, something they have no concept of in the wild, then butchering them in front of each other is cruel and unethical, even by our own butchering standards, the meat is toxic.