Don't like e-bike... Or do I ?

mxh

Likes Dirt
25kph average on trails is massive, an XC race will only have about 20pkh ave for fast riders and as said all unmodified Pedal-assist bikes will have a 25kph cut out... sounds like the bike you need is a dirtbike :thumb:
It's not 'average speed' that the OP is talking about though. There are plenty of trails where the rider and gravity combine to get you over 25kph regardless of any e-power. In these situations, if the motor doesn't disengage completely from the pedaling process, you end up having to pedal against the motor which feels like riding with the brakes dragging.

But I though the Shimano system (which is what the Merida users) was supposed to disengage when it reached this speed?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Oh ok, yeah, that much dribble in that post I thought I would drown so just left it alone.

Probs should start an ebike hate thread so those who wish can rage against the machine.

Really thinking of getting one if I can get around their shortcomings. IMO they have their place, but i’m Not giving up pure riding pleasure, which the one I test rode did.
And that was the light version of the posts you'd get in theain e-bike thread

It does sound like you really want a motorcycle. Perhaps one that isn't noisey, which is one of the things about dirt bikes that has always been unappealing for me. Perhaps something that isn't as bulky and heavy as well. I refer thinking I wanted to ride like the krusty demon crew but couldn't work out how they control such bulky heavy bikes. Then it dawned on me...

Pit bike! Thumpster! A bored out mini beast for mega fun play times. Well I never bothered with that either, so I can't be of any valuable help in that regard. I can say though that those high powered modifications are pretty much everything mountain bikers hate about e-bikes and do offer a significant threat to trail access. I've no doubt fun can be had, but the risk analysis doesn't add up for me.

And it will just make you an e-bogan. You'll effectively have the same bike as they do when they strap on the lawnmower engine to ride to the shops, have a look at Ideate's rig. If you picked up one of those battery powered Ryobi chain saws you could be interchangeable across the whole line...which would he funny.

You can't create an ebike related thread without some old harping codgers like Dozer and Poodle having a go.
I'm not a codger. I'm a wowser! And my new neighbours are wowser too. I'm not sure if I should put a met lab or unlicensed bar in my garage yet. I eagerly anticipate the day you have a bb case on your spitt-e.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's not 'average speed' that the OP is talking about though. There are plenty of trails where the rider and gravity combine to get you over 25kph regardless of any e-power. In these situations, if the motor doesn't disengage completely from the pedaling process, you end up having to pedal against the motor which feels like riding with the brakes dragging.

But I though the Shimano system (which is what the Merida users) was supposed to disengage when it reached this speed?
The thing is on gravity trails you're going to expect high speeds but on other trails like flat or climbing the speeds are going to be considerable higher. Now, what's worse is that people are saying that they don't modify these bikes but they are.

You're not going to see the full problems these bikes bring to the trails until you start seeing them in large numbers. Just have a think why we have the need for speed limits on the roads.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I had two XR 250s and a Harley.

I was a much great threat to myself on those XRs and gave them up before I gave up breathing.
Props for giving it a go twice! And thankfully they were only XR250’s. I had a go on a cr500, damn near dislocated my shoulders. Hence why I always recommend people start with a small bore, and there more suited to singletrack.

mxh

Likes Dirt
The thing is on gravity trails you're going to expect high speeds but on other trails like flat or climbing the speeds are going to be considerable higher. Now, what's worse is that people are saying that they don't modify these bikes but they are.

You're not going to see the full problems these bikes bring to the trails until you start seeing them in large numbers. Just have a think why we have the need for speed limits on the roads.
That's a different conversation which has been done to death in the other e-bike thread. This conversation is about the behaviour of the e-bike motor when the bike hits 25kmh. Some 'step aside' and allow the rider to carry on pedaling unassisted but unhampered, whilst others seem to cut the power but stay engaged, so making it more difficult to pedal than a normal bike.

Either way, the power assist cuts out at 25kph - a speed which is easily attainable by most riders.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's a different conversation which has been done to death in the other e-bike thread. This conversation is about the behaviour of the e-bike motor when the bike hits 25kmh. Some 'step aside' and allow the rider to carry on pedaling unassisted but unhampered, whilst others seem to cut the power but stay engaged, so making it more difficult to pedal than a normal bike.

Either way, the power assist cuts out at 25kph - a speed which is easily attainable by most riders.
Sorry I don't have any problem with the OP's question but I don't condone people posting up illegal modifications to E-bikes on a public forum, if you're going to do this sort of thing at least keep it to private PMs. It's just opening up a can of worms.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
...... illegal modifications to E-bikes on a public forum, if you're going to do this sort of thing at least keep it to private PMs. It's just opening up a can of worms.
That's a pretty good point, we can do without the heat this kind of thing might draw so please keep it to PMs.

Snapcatcher

Likes Bikes
e-bike threads should really be moved to off-topic
Thats a good idea. Perhaps then we could actually have a proper discussion on the technical aspects of the bikes instead of the pissing comp we have every time someone mentions ebikes.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Folks,

Please keep this discussion on topic, constructive and legal from here on in.

Mucho obligato,

The Rotorburn Hit Squad

I don’t give a flying fuck if the power assist cuts out at 25kmh. I actually want the power to cut out by then. I just don’t want it to feel like the brakes are draging and your peddling through wet cement when it does cut out.

If you ride round all day under 25kmh then you need to stop worrying about messing up your hair do.

No I don’t want or need a fucking motorbike!

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I don’t give a flying fuck if the power assist cuts out at 25kmh. I actually want the power to cut out by then. I just don’t want it to feel like the brakes are draging and your peddling through wet cement when it does cut out.

If you ride round all day under 25kmh then you need to stop worrying about messing up your hair do.

The reality is that with the weight of these things they feel like a brick anyway and they do feel like you're pedaling through wet cement when the assistance stops.

I rode a Kenevo on the weekend and imo the ease of travel on the way up didn't outweigh the fact that the thing was like a tractor on the way down. That was all good if you just want to bomb anything and everything, but I found it sapped the fun on the way down and it wasn't worth it.

The enduro was better, but still a big sacrifice on the downhills / flats.

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

I haven’t read anything about the electric motor physically disconnecting from the drive once over 25km/h. So even though theres no power coming from the motor, your rotating the extra drive components, with all the associated drag which is normally overcome by the motor. That drag plus the extra 4/5kg and you end up with the pedalling through cement vibe.

Nobody said they didn’t go over 25k’s, they said average speed over a xc ride. I assume you know how averages work.

And no you may not want or fucking need a motorbike, but you’ve started a thread about motorbikes ffs!

Last edited:

Lurkin

Likes Dirt
Both the speed cut and the way it drops off are managed by the programming in the motor controller. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, it could also be used to decrease the top speed for training purposes.

It sounds like you would want the pedal assist to decrease as the speed approaches 25kph. Trick will be finding a production ebike which has these settings without having to interfere with it, otherwise you'd need to be able to reprogram the controller. Not something I would want to be doing with a decent production ebike.

I agree, I found the same issue with production bikes, reasonably annoying/border line dangerous as it could cut out when going to pass etc.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
THis is a specific tech question, just like the many threads started for non-motorbikes. There's no reason why a new thread can't be posted for this question.

Again, please keep the sniping, testiness and illegal advice out of the discussion. If you are not contributing to the discussion regards the OP's question or something related, please refrain from posting.