don't lose it!

mr whippy

Likes Dirt
the first d lock i bought i couldn't even fit it around the frame and rear wheel ( 40mm rims and 2.5 tires) bloody annoying! i'm in favour of the electrical method. last year i lived in a flat and we got broken into by people climbing the balcony to get in, that was until we clamped a car battery to the railing. if only i could do that to my rig. :twisted:

Gonzo

Likes Dirt
Probably the real downfall with trying to run a current through your bike is not getting the theif but some one that is hooking their bike up near yours and accidently leans agaginst your bike.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
Re: locks

peachy said:
Socket said:
dazonic said:
There's some brand of lock we've got at work, there's a $2000 anti-theft warranty that comes with it, the lock itself retails for like $100 i think.
Kryptonite...
i's gotta get me one of those
That anti-theft warranty is only valid inside the US, and maybe the UK, you'll find, if you read the details.

i got this one

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/ineti...?artid=2790&atf=products_item&pgrp=20

tough as nails (well i hope it's tougher than nails actually)
$2000 (USD) Anti-Theft Protection (pity u can't get it in aus...but it's a good sign)
and it sits almost flush around my frame and back wheel so it would be EXTREMELY difficult to get a car jack in to do the dirty work

cost me $120 but i'm willing to pay that to secure a $3K rig!!

i don't really leave it out when i can help it.....which is obviously the best protection......but when i have to i feel pretty safe with this lock on it
it may be heavy but...hey...that means i get fitter faster!!!

i usually take off the front wheel and put the lock through the back wheel, the frame and the front wheel which i place next to it....then to a very secure pole

bazza

look at me
i still use my parents for money......my mum has insurance for my bike under her area because of better ratings and that shit so i just basically lock my bike up and if it or parts get stolen hello new parts, its still a pain though.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
i got me a doberman after i had all my bikes stolen... n my insurance company paid 1/2 of a new "cage" to lock my bikes in- the same stuff shops use for extra security behind their front doors...

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
have been tallking to a cpl of the cops that come into the shop sometimes, and they were telling me that quite a few stolen bikes are recovered by letting all the local bike shops know the details.
grab a sheet of paper and do up a stolen poster.
include :
a picture of the bike if you have one.
the seriel #, and it's location (include the location as some #'s are in unusual places.
distinguishing marks on the frame.
ALL the parts, not just the speccy stuff. just write down the exact parts spec on the machine when it was stolen, including the seriel # of the forks if they had one.
where, when and how it was stolen.
a 24 contact #.
details of reward if any (shops aren't interested in the reward, but it helps to convince joe bikescum's freinds to roll on him.

put it all on a single A4 sheet and drop a cpl into each shop withing a huge radius of your place. in brisbane for example, if it got stolen in red hill, i'd have posters as far out as ipswich and caboolture.
all of this gives the best chance to get your baby back.

haveing said all that, you do have a copy of all the seriel #'s don't you?
if not, go and get one NOW! and put it someplace safe.

lucco

Likes Dirt
lupine128 said:
was talking to a security dude at QUT today and learned that almost all of the bikes stolen have been locked with good quality cable locks.
a dickhead that goes to my school lives in Queensland and he said one of his friends steals bikes from a QLd Mall. He's stolen like a XTC nrs 2 or a XTC 2
or something

if someones had a bike stolen in a Queensland mall i can see if i can get the guys name.

i hate bike theives.... :twisted: :evil:

tu plang

knob
well i got my bike insured against theft from my house and possibly if it is left newhere (though im not sure about this), its about $50 a year, which is kinda expensive for insurance but a small price to pay i spose. if neone is interested i'll ask my dad wat it covers in detail.

dickyknee

Likes Dirt
juzza said:
You gys go on and on about how good some locks are these days but the thing that no one thinks much about is what they are locking it to. It would be easier to cut through a "No Standing" sign pole than to cut through the lock. Cuncils should put up in the street poles you can lock to that cant be cut through.

i have heard of a bloke who cut through the no standing sign and steal a mates bike chained to it , did not see it happen but have seen the pole .
th eonly way to stop it is leave bike at home as no matter what you use if they want your bike they will get it .

bazza

look at me
bike theft

oh yeah you can cable tie your quick releases to your frame as well, just means people can't jokingly steal parts off it. use good quality cable ties as well.

naz

Criminally Inane
juzza said:
You gys go on and on about how good some locks are these days but the thing that no one thinks much about is what they are locking it to. It would be easier to cut through a "No Standing" sign pole than to cut through the lock. Cuncils should put up in the street poles you can lock to that cant be cut through.
lock it to a telegraph pole or a tree

DRUM

Likes Dirt
I was just reading through a cycling mag and they got this special 'Radar Protect' for mtbs. only 60$ and they tag your bike with serial number, owner and insurance details in some crazy inconpictuous way. So if your bike is stolen you just report it to them and they locate it for you.

i dunno, if i were to get some crazy new bike worth a few gran id definetly give this a look.

DRUM

Likes Dirt
OK this add is from the 'australian cyclist' magazine.

"RADAR PROTECTED"
"COMING SOON!"

"The latest in cycle ID utilizing Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) proven in Germany and Holland with over two million cycles tagged each year. Radar' have devoloped this state-of-the-art technology with radar encryptions of serial number, owner and insurance details into transponders covertly placed in the cycle.

"THIS COST-EFFECTIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM WILL RETAIL AT THE RECCOMENDED PRICE OF ONLY $59.00"
"Endoresed by Safeguard bicycle insurancem SRS insurance group, NASA, the Motor Traers Association of NSW and the Motor Trades Association of WA, The National Road Trailers Australia, National Assistance Service Australia and technology supported by various insurance companies."

"All enquiries to Cardinal Rule PTY LTD ,- Telephone (02) 9213 4271

Pheew! hard work im off for a ride :)

after typing it out i now relise they actually place the radio transponder INSIDE your bike...which is very cool. youd never have to live in fear of your bike getting stolen again...well it still might get stolen but you can track em down the click of your fingers! SO, its not here yet but by the sounds of it youll be seeing it in the next few months. :) :)

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thought you might be interested in what Sheldon Brown has to say about locks:

"If you don't have secure parking at your workplace, you should indeed have a serious lock, such as a Kryptonite. The thing is, you should not carry it home every night. The weight of a typical U-lock represents the difference between a $400 bike and a $700 bike.
Just leave the lock at work, locked to whatever you normally lock your bike to. Carry a light cable lock with you for quick errands or emergencies.

If you use both the U-lock and the cable lock at work, you are more than twice as safe as you would be with either of them alone. Either type of lock can be defeated, but each requires a different large, bulky tool which is useless against the other.

Don't take your bike apart to lock it, it is really bogus. The cable lock will secure your front wheel to the frame and any convenient object, and the U-lock will secure your rear wheel and frame. If you have a quick-release seatpost bolt, replace it with an Allen head bolt, and stop worrying about having your saddle stolen.

The best cable locks are the ones that have the lock built-in, rather than relying on a padlock. The padlock is the weak link, easily cut with bolt cutters, the tool of choice for most bike thieves. A new, sharp bolt cutter will cut a cable too, but an old, worn-out one will only crush a cable.

The best U-locks are the smallest. My favorite is the Kryptonite Mini, which not all bike shops stock. The Mini is much smaller and lighter than the more popular models, but just as secure. It may be even more secure, because of the limited room to put a jack inside it. It also gives less purchase for leverage-based attacks.
People tend to buy the big clunky U-locks because they don't know how to use them properly. A U-lock should go around the rear rim and tire, somewhere inside the rear triangle of the frame. There is no need to loop it around the seat tube as well, because the wheel cannot be pulled through the rear triangle.

Some will object that felons might cut the rear rim and tire to remove the lock. Believe me, this just doesn't happen in the real world. First, this would be a lot of work to steal a frame without a useable rear wheel, the most expensive part of a bike, after the frame. Second, cutting the rear rim is much harder than you might think. Since the rim is under substantial compression due to the tension on the spokes, it would pinch a hacksaw blade tight as soon as it cut partway through. Then there are the wire beads of the tire, also difficult to cut."

Gonzo

Likes Dirt
I think a good idea for trying to stop bike theft would be to have a searchable database on the internet somewhere. If you had your bike stolen then you would list it on the database and then when someone buys a second hand bike they would simply punch in the bike's serial number and see if it was stolen.

I have bugger all computer knowledge and wouldn't know how to go about doing this but someone else may be able to.