don't lose it!

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
was talking to a security dude at QUT today and learned that almost all of the bikes stolen have been locked with good quality cable locks.
the ONLY way to keep hold of your bike if you lock it up somewhere is with at least one good quality D lock.
pretty much any cable lock can be cut with a little bit of effort and only a couple of minutes without someone around.
also remember to put the lock thru the discs of the wheels when you lock it so they can't steal the discs.
so don't take a chance. as annoying as D's are, they are the only real protection you have.
on a related note, the Qld Police used to have a service where you could get items engraved with a rego #, and that # is registered with them. you got little stickers to put on the stuff. if they still do that, it's worth looking into.

creepyjoe

Likes Dirt
are those armour link locks any good?

you know the ones that are still flexible but have big metal links protecting whatever cable is inside?

if anything I would imagine the armour links would atleast make it harder to fit a set of bolt cutters around it

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i realy like the sheathed cable locks. they are almost as difficult to get thru as a good D and are more flexible to use. a combination of D and cable is also a good way to go.
the current problem in the UK is people using air cutters and jacks on D locks at night.
if you are locking your bike up at night, make sure it is in a very well lit, and high traffic area. just being well lit gives the thieves light to work by if their is no-one around.
at home make sure you lock your ride if it isn't in the house with you.
again use a combination of cable and and D if you live in a high risk area.
there are sheathed cable locks with alarms built in that are pretty good value, and some of the locks made for motos are also excellent.
still tho, the best protection is to leave your $2k+ rig at home and ride a playbike to school/uni.
i have an old norco i built up from spares that i ride to the city and uni on. it works great, rides well, is fun as hell, and looks like shit. i also take a minute between classes to move the bike if i'm there all day. i don't park in the same place at the time each time, cause that gives theives who watch QUT a chance to see when is a good time to try for my bike.it is a bit of a hassle, but looseing my ride would be more.
also remember to report ANY suspictions to security. people who are supposed to be there don't ever mind security saying hi to them, it's only the assholes who nick shit that don't want them around.

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
them d locks are easy to break i've seen it done all they do is mood a car jack andjack it apart till it snaps their is no real protection for bikes thats why i dont leave mine anywhere

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeh i dont really think theres much protection for
your bikes if you leaven outside

even if they cant cut the lock they can always
nick your deraillure or disk brakes so
its a definately big risk
which im not willing to take

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the thing to remember is that a theif only has a cpl of minutes, and has to look natural.
it looks a bit weird to see a guy jacking a D apart, whereas you can sorta disguise cutting a cable a bit.
still tho just haveing a spare bike to ride that looks really crappy is the best protection for the good bikes.
also, this is pretty mean but, if you have to ride your bike in somewhere, see if you can park it next to a better bike with less pro. i know it kinda sux, but it's up to them to look after theirs i guess.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
i've got that kryptonite lock (just the lock, not the chain) for my moto, and i tell you what, there's no way you're breaking that baby without a 9" angle grinder, a lot of noise, and a fair bit of time.

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that thing looks like some damn good protection

how do u stop people with allen keys and stuff though who only want select parts?

I have a mate who rides to work who has had his seat stolen several times poor bugger

duncan^kona

Likes Dirt
benny boy said:
2 fifty thats a fuken mad lock
thats one chunky ass mofo lock my friend
ive got a tioga d-lock, the only thing is, its a bitch to carry coz it ways a fukken tone, but i meen, no one is baout to get through it in a hurry'

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have a cable lock that i use to lock the wheels to the frame with. this runs thru the seat rails, then round both rims thru the discs then to the frame. then i use a d lock to go thru the frame to something big that they will have trouble cutting thru.
but it's a pain in the ass.
as for people just nicking parts, the only thing you can do is lock it in a high trafic area and hope that people wil notice anything weird.
i had some guy take the caliper and disc from my front end once, thats when i started to use the cable lock on the wheels.

hardtail free rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeh i've seen a pair of super chunky handcuff bike locks there thicker then normal ones and are covered with rubber but i dont no how much they are, and they wouldnt have any rotection for anything but the frame

jamo

Likes Dirt
hardtail free rider said:
yeh i've seen a pair of super chunky handcuff bike locks there thicker then normal ones and are covered with rubber but i dont no how much they are, and they wouldnt have any rotection for anything but the frame

yeah they are at vicmtb going for like $250 or something like that.

hey what about those kryptonite cables. like the 2 metre one??

how easy are they to break?? i got one but dont know the capabilities of kryptonite?

S.

ex offender
jamo said:
hardtail free rider said:

yeah they are at vicmtb going for like $250 or something like that.

hey what about those kryptonite cables. like the 2 metre one??

how easy are they to break?? i got one but dont know the capabilities of kryptonite?
$250 for a lock? Bloody.

Kryptonite cables are very very hard to cut, but like anything, given enough time you can get through em.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ive got a moto lock that coils up and is quite beefy and would be a bitch to cut with anything less than a fukin massive pair of bolt-cutters or angle grinder.
i also use a failry good combination lock to wrap through the wheels, discs, seat etc.
I've only ever had to lock my ride up in the city once though.