downhill brakes

koper72

Likes Bikes
hello everyone,
i'm after a new set of high quality downhill brakes. i have narrowed my choices down to;
- 2011(new ones) shimano xtr's
- 2010/11 shimano saints
- 2010 shimano xt's
- hope v2 brakes

if every one could please give me some advise on what they recommend it would be a huge help.
cheers

hazza6542

Eats Squid
You're going to get an entire thread of people saying 'go the saints' i'm thinking...
Naturally, the DH specific brake should be better for DH, but it's your preference really, I've heard of people disliking the brutality of saints and prefer a more subtle (for lack of a better word) braking force, maybe a more gradual bite on the rotor.

indica

Serial flasher
I got Saints on my 2010 Fury and I find they work really well.
I haven't used the others so cannot comment on their DH suitability, but my Saints are great, truly a very powerful brake.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just had a set of Hope Tech V2's on my old bike, and they were fucking amazing. I couldn't recommend them highly enough. The lever design is great, the adjustments in the lever unit for pad contact and reach adjust are tool-free easy to change. The power is massive from a 2-pot system and the feel and modulation is great too. They look pretty pimp too, but aren't all that light.

My current bike has Elixer CR's on it, but i'm selling them off so I can test the word of all the Saint fan boys and give them a go for myself.

macca21

Likes Dirt
From the list you've got I would most likely go with the saints...BUT... Personally, I'd get some 2010 Formual 'The Ones'. I'm using some 2008 one and the power is massive (as that of saints) but with better modulation. AND they weigh in at less than an avid juicy brakeset!
hmmm..... a combo of xtr levers with saint calipers would be pretty sic if you could be bothered....
my 2c

MARKL

Eats Squid
There all good brakes. I currently have Saints on my downhill bike and I think they are a great downhill brake, powerful, modulate well etc. I have Hope's on my XC and have previously had Formula Oro Bianco and Magura Gustav's on downhill bikes.

The issue I see with the XTR and XT's will be how they handle long steep tracks with continuous high braking loads - think Thredbo. They aren't a downhill specific brake and may struggle in some situations.

I way 90kg and my Formula's were excellent around Oxford Falls, Ourimbah, Lithgow, Stromlo etc. Took them to Thredbo and they struggled, I then struggled with arm pump...

It doesn't sound like $$$$$$$ are an issue so really comes down to where you will be riding and what compromise (weight/power/modulation) you are willing to put up with

chris95

Likes Dirt
mate if your after a set that performs incredibly, avid codes are the best brakes out.
Mate couldn't agree more, I have just got avid codes on my glory coming off juicy 3's and they are so So Powerful, and the lever feels better than saints(just my opinion).

GET THEM

Stint

Likes Dirt
It really depends on what characteristics you are after, and the pricepoint you are aiming for.

The range from Shimano is the best choice if you want a set of brakes that you want to just set up and forget, not having to worry too much about maintenance. I have found that I don't have to rebleed them due to performance loss, only as a maintenance cycle issue. Add to the fact that the Mineral Oil is safer to work with than DOT fluid.

Shimano Saints:-
Pro's: Very powerful, and no brake fade experienced in long subalpine descents. Lever ergonomics are nice.
Con's: Can be noisy at times. No modulation when comparing to offerings from Avid. Contact point adjustment does not work.

Shimano XT:-
Pro's: Good value, and great performance. A riding buddy uses the XT's on his Whistler rig, and can't fault them.
Con's: No modulation compared to Avids.

Shimano XTR:
Pro's: Offers best modulation out of the Shimano range. Bling, if that's your thing.
Con's: Pricey.

The other thing to consider is that if you damage your brakes, Shimano's will be easier to get replacement parts for wherever you go. However, levers are not interchangeable.

I used the Codes for two years, and:
Pro's: Powerful set of brakes, no brake fade experienced. Excellent modulation. Contact point adjustment is brilliant. Replacement pads well priced. Levers interchangeable.
Con's: Found I've had to rebleed every 2-3 months to keep getting good performance out of them. DOT fluid damages paint.

I've personally gone for the Shimano option on all my bikes, as I value the "set and forget" mentality quite highly. For the tracks we have here in Oz, a 2 pot caliper is more than ample, especially if you're going to be using 8 inch rotors on your rig.

RMS116

Likes Dirt
Mate couldn't agree more, I have just got avid codes on my glory coming off juicy 3's and they are so So Powerful, and the lever feels better than saints(just my opinion).

GET THEM
+1 for codes. I've had mine for over 5 months now and they are awesome. They have great stopping power, dont fade and I haven't had to do anything to them since I bought my bike.
Even in the shittest conditions they still hold up and work well. A mate and I went to race a while ago and it was ridiculous. His CR's ended up fading and barely working but the codes were still going strong.

macca21

Likes Dirt
of all the brakes available, codes would be the ones i'd stay clear of. i've found that although a fully functional pair of them is indeed great to use, there are just as many that come with bad or poorly installed seals, even from new. also, as previously stated, they require much more maintainence to keep at full potential than shimano brakes.
and yes, i have owned a set of codes and speak from the experience myself and mates.
it's all about quality control, and avid don't usually seem to nail it.

dunndog

Eats Squid
of all the brakes available, codes would be the ones i'd stay clear of. i've found that although a fully functional pair of them is indeed great to use, there are just as many that come with bad or poorly installed seals, even from new. also, as previously stated, they require much more maintainence to keep at full potential than shimano brakes.
and yes, i have owned a set of codes and speak from the experience myself and mates.
it's all about quality control, and avid don't usually seem to nail it.
Agreed. I had codes and now have saint. they are far better imo than the codes were, and with my saints set up fairly spongey the 'manual' modulation is superb. I'd never get anything else now.. except maybe new saints that aren't beaten up!! (Oh yeah, saint gear can withstand a pretty good beating too)

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt
well i know everyone is saying saints, although im going to have to say the XT's. If you look after them correctly they are just awesome mate. i run them and not a bladdy problem mate