Downhill going uphill

driftking

Wheel size expert
what bike do you currently ride?
Do any of your mates have a DH bike?
If they do see if they will let you go for a proper DH ride on thier bike a few times, this will let you see what a dh bike is like to ride on a dh trail and around the street. from this you can then come back on here and say what you did and didnt like and then people can suggest what might suit your needs better.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
A DH bike is just that, A purpose built no compromise bike built for going down hill. It sucks at everyting else. And you'll look stupid riding it for anything else. Get a 6"ish trail/all MTN bike, and enjoy a lot more different riding. DH is amazing fun, but going hella fast on single track to the shops etc is also, and you can't do that on a DH bike, but you can DH on atrail bike, and have as much fun, just at slower speeds.
IMO Do not get a DH bike.
It'll be lame for your progression. Get a Reign. If your under 15 you'd probably go better on a Reign than say a Glory anyway.
Things are changing, DH bikes are getting lighter, and pedaling better, but they still have slack angles that will make it turn like a dog on tiight stuff, and make the front break traction. It'll also climb like crap, and accelerate worse than a 6" bike.
Also wallowing in a lot of travel at slower speeds is lame as your geo is less consistant, and you need to manage it with gentler braking , body movements, pedalling etc.

DOWNHILLPHILL

Likes Dirt
I was like you once.

Downhill bikes can go reasonably along the road my mate kept up on his norco six1 when I was on my stp, yeaaaas downhill bikes do look cool but they look even cooler going going through rock gardens at 40kph and as for going up hill just use low gear and for xc style riding you don't pump you spin your crank so you reduce bob.

My recemendation would be one of those gnarly enduro type bikes like a specialized sx etc they can do downhill and xc style stuff, esspecially if you get one with a pro pedal lockout.

darsh

Likes Dirt
I did have another bit on there!! no i do want to do down hill.
Sounds like you have no idea
So.....check out my old bike in the forsale thread, its exactly what you need:rolleyes:
Full face incl for those ninja runs to shops

Mate I'm much the same boat as you are and honestly from what I've heard it sounds like an all mountain is a much better option for you. I mean for starters, have you EVER done any form of DH riding? It's not easy by any means and to begin with you'd be better off with a bike that gives you options in the case that you don't like DH.

Next thing, if you are really keen on DH do you have many trails close by? If not, is it worth it to buy a bike that will set you back a large amount of money just to use a handful of times a year.

If you'll only be using it for DH on the odd occasion it'd be foolish to buy a full blown DH bike. Like others have said, they're designed for going down hills, nothing else. The geometry will make it extremely hard to climb even the slightest hill in comparison to some of your other options.

Honestly, I think the best option at the moment for you would be something like a Giant Reign 2. Will handle everything you can throw at it as a beginner in DH and gives you the option of riding some other forms of the sport. If you shop around you can find them for under $2,000 as well so it won't set you back a huge amount.

Like I said at the beginning, I'm in much the same position. I've been keen on trying DH for the last couple of years but the thing holding me back is whether or not I'll truly like it. It is something you have to think about carefully man as it isn't a cheap sport to get into at all with the price of the bike and all the safety gear that goes with it. Plus it isn't for everyone. The first time I hit my local trails (Smithfield) I was taken aback by how much different it was compared to what I thought it might be.

It is quite a lot harder than I anticipated and unless you're extremely comfortable on a bike, you'll have some trouble. I think the first thing you need to do is go and check out any of the DH trails from there and then assess how much riding you want to do in each discipline.

Oh and also, here's a link to a Giant Reign 2 for sale on Bike Exchange:

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles/giant/mountain-dual-suspension/reign-2/sydney/nsw/100247250

Benny.

Likes Bikes
Sounds like you have no idea
So.....check out my old bike in the forsale thread, its exactly what you need:rolleyes:
Full face incl for those ninja runs to shops
Thanks, thats why i asked. God people on here hate the newcomers.
Thanks allot, you were new too!!.
But to the people who actually helped thank you.

boofy

Likes Bikes
i got myself a 06 norco aline downhill bike for the purpose of getting fit - fast. i figured that it would be heavy, but at the same time extremely strong. i was right on both accounts. i dont really use it for downhill as such unless you call gap creek/jinker track style tracks downhill, but i am also not anywhere near the ability to go full on downhill. yes it is hard to go uphill, but who cares. going down the tracks that i do, i can go as fast as i can and i know that my bike wont even break a sweat. to answer your question about going to the shops etc, you wont be able to ride like a racer/onroad rider, but you can ride bike tracks and roads with ease, just a bit slower.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no dude its not that bad seriously
i ride my downhill bike to school everyday, and its easy
both these statements are lies. DH bikes are horrible to pedal anywhere other than dead flat (less than 1km) or (obviously) down hill.

Most of the other advise on here is pretty sensible in my opinion - ie no skid marks. get a shorter travel bike or an aggressive hardtail (you can ride dh on them anyway) - theyre cheaper and will suit better for everything.

Red.

Likes Dirt
Its also how you set your dh bike up and how light it is, Like i would never ride my dh bike to the shop because i have it set up super soft and it ways 19kg flat, but if you get a shorter travel bike it would be ok.

WaLLy04

Likes Bikes
Mate unless my downhill bike is on the back of a ute, it dosnt go uphill... lol. I also have an all mountain set up i do all my other riding on, i trew a set of boxxer races on the front of my all mountain and it dose everything now lol, dirt jump cross country uphill down hill and even a quick trip to the shop, and if the uphill leads to a serios downhill the boxxers soak it up, its brilliant,

felts bend

Likes Bikes
honestly buy a smaller bike first 6" and under maybe even hard tail, as some may know a rider who learnt dh on a bike without much suspension will usually develop better line choice and steering braking skills than someone who starts out on a full dh rig and just mr plows everything in sight. I went from hardtails to a 6" dually and now a full dh bike and im quicker and crash less than mates who have ridden dh rigs all along

piggy pie

Likes Bikes
both these statements are lies. DH bikes are horrible to pedal anywhere other than dead flat (less than 1km) or (obviously) down hill.

Most of the other advise on here is pretty sensible in my opinion - ie no skid marks. get a shorter travel bike or an aggressive hardtail (you can ride dh on them anyway) - theyre cheaper and will suit better for everything.
dude how wrong you are, i usually only have one working bike at a time and use it for all my riding(usually 6-8 travel). to the op if you are an adult or strong teen it really is a piece of piss to ride a dh bike everywhere, i have ridden 20+ kays at a time on an old style 8 inch bike, to easy. it obviously isnt as fast as riding lightweight bikes but at least you can bomb whatever you see on the way with no fear of breakage. remember that tyre selection is vital as dh tyres will rip the shit out of your riding, they are what slow you down more than any other factor. most of the bikes we rode to school on would not of been much lighter than a dh bike anyway

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
It can be done, but will you enjoy it?

I do ride my DH bike to the top every now and then and have been known to do the XC race on it

You ask how much harder is it. Well I'm a reasonably fit guy and OK pedaller.
On my XC bike it takes me a bit less than 15min to ride up the main rd on H-walls at a comfortable pace where I get to the top ready to sprint down the other side (<11min pushing hard)

On my DH bike if I put the seat up and stay seated it takes me 25min. Not only do I need to stop at the top to catch my breath but I need to stretch out my legs and more importantly my back.

It's not just the extra weight and travel it's the shorter cockpit and angles. A DH bike is made so that when it's pointed down hill with the rear wheel higher than the back it still positions the rider over the center of the bike. The steering and handling characteristics are optimised in this situtation.

On the flat your weight is behind the BB and steering becomes slow and lazy. Going up this is even worse. The shorter cock pit has you a little cramped anyway but because the bike angles have your weight now way over the back you need to really lean forward to keep the front wheel down and in control of the steering.

Short answer. yes you can ride a DH bike up hill but it isn't all that enjoyable. If you want one bike to do everything on look at an aggressive shorted travel All mountain type bike.

Even shorter answer. If you are going to pay big $$$ a bike not fit for your purpose purely because it looks good than you're an idiot.

jawry

Likes Dirt
DH to the shops??

Just for fun (and because the Prophet was up on blocks) i took the Cannondale Judge for a night ride through the Gap Creek Reserve (Brisbane) trails.

Got to say, i was amazaed at how well it did. Yep, any sort of hill reduced me to 'one speed' in granny gear. This is a 9 speed with a road cluster.

If you can have only one bike, and it'll be predominantly DH - go for it.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

T-Rex

Template denier
This kid must be so confused by now

Reading through this thread, the OP can't be any more enlightened than before he put his post on RB.

So in keeping with the theme, I'll add my two cents:

If you are going to do this logically, ie you really want a single bike that can handle both DH and a bit of general riding around, including up hills, you should follow the advice of several people who have already posted, and get a 6" AM style bike such as a Giant Reign or Specialized SX Trail. These bikes can be very competitive in the right hands at DH races, great for a beginner DH rider, and a lot better for general riding around, including up hills, than a full DH rig. The reasons for this are thoroughly explained by thecat above, and note that this confirms that your Dad is correct.

However, if you have other reasons for wanting a DH, eg you want to look cool going to the shops, you want to make your XC loop twice as difficult for extra training, you could get a DH bike, and make a couple of minor changes to make it easier to ride, when you are not doing DH. These changes, in order of priority, are:

1. Replace the DH tyres with slicks. Here's some slicks for $9 each, my daughter has them on her "around town" bike: http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/INTYMNNPP/title/innova-mtb-slick-tyre---puncture-proof. These will roll a LOT better than DH tyres.

2. Fit a XC cassette. Lower end/older DH bikes often have them anyway, but if your DH bike has a roadie cassette, replace it with a 12/34, it will make climbing a lot easier.

3. Fit a long stem eg 120mm, this will give you more cockpit room, and allow you to get more over the front of the bike on climbs.

You really need to consider how much time you will be doing DH on the bike, vs other general running around. Yes, you can ride a DH bike around, but as others have said, they really do suck at anything apart from DH.

joesturdy

Likes Bikes
I ride mine to work just about every day, it's not that hard just pump your tires up a little. And pin it on every downhill bit! :)